Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make little switches for thick cord.

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:18:30 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 10:03:52 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

micky wrote:
Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make
little roller switches for thick cord?

The first question is philosophical and the second is practical.

Lamp cords and fan cords etc. are thicker than they were years ago. I
don't think the copper is thicker but the vinyl is?

I can't say I've noticed any change (not saying there isn't). You are using
standard lamp cord?

It's what came attached to the fan, and to a lot of things these days.

It's thicker. It doesn't bend as easily**. I think it's denser or at
least not as soft as traditional zip cord. It might last longer, but
the traditional stuff easily lasts 30 years.

**So much so that I'll have to reroute the cord... because when I roll
over and maybe push on the cord, I've knocked the fan off the sill.
With the older "rubber" cord, the cord just bent and the fan stayed
where it was.

The stuff with two vinyl/rubber encased wires joined in
the middle?

Yes, the stuff is like that.

What gauge?

I don't know. It's a little motor that spins a 4" blade. Couldn't
be more than 30 watts. So I assume it's 14 gauge.

Can you use a smaller gauge?

If I cut the cord off, I can use a smaller wire. .

It's the crappy cheap chinese electrical devices. Cit the cord off
inside and replace with decent zip cord.