Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rich Rich is offline

Default DIY flat extension cord?

Rob wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hem Jung wrote:
Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had
to use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the
floor, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this
anti-trip? My foot has caught it a couple of times, so not very
good if I keep it the way it is. I see flat extension cords
online, but price is too high. Maybe I could make one? Thanks in
advance.

You don't state your location, but do note that at least in the USA,
it is a violation of the electrical code to utilize an extension
cord as a substitute for permanent wiring. So, if you are in the
USA, and if this is a temporary thing, you'll be ok. But if are in
the USA and you might plan to make this permanent you will fail a
future electrical inspection should one occur.

Strange that such a statement would be in the code. Nothing is
permanent.

https://www.memic.com/workplace-safe...n-cord-hazards

National Electrical Code (NEC) does not allow extension cords in
lieu of permanent wiring (NEC 400.8(1) - 2014 Version).

https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com...ec-400-8.5437/

Article 400

Flexible Cords and Cables

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in 400.7,
flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings,
suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors

(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings

(4) Where attached to building surfaces

Exception to (4): Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted to be
attached to building surfaces in accordance with the provisions of
368.56(B)

(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above
suspended or dropped ceilings

(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in
this Code

(7) Where subject to physical damage