Old October 30th 19, 08:42 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default need to find a replacement K type probe for this thermometer

I have had this thermometer for probably a decade. About three years
ago, I accidentally put the K type probe into something too hot and
ruined it. Now it's time to get another probe, but I'm not sure which
one. I lost the info on the thermometer, but here is an image:

https://i.imgur.com/RHXsSsS.jpg

Suggestions for both a manual and replacement probe would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Old October 30th 19, 08:51 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/30/19 3:42 PM, Jim Horton wrote:
I have had this thermometer for probably a decade.* About three years
ago, I accidentally put the K type probe into something too hot and
ruined it.* Now it's time to get another probe, but I'm not sure which
one.* I lost the info on the thermometer, but here is an image:

*https://i.imgur.com/RHXsSsS.jpg

Suggestions for both a manual and replacement probe would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Please note that I know it needs a new K type probe, but I don't want to
end up overspending on a high temperature one if the meter won't range
that high, but I can't find the meter specs online since I lost the
manual.

Old October 30th 19, 08:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , says...

I have had this thermometer for probably a decade. About three years
ago, I accidentally put the K type probe into something too hot and
ruined it. Now it's time to get another probe, but I'm not sure which
one. I lost the info on the thermometer, but here is an image:

https://i.imgur.com/RHXsSsS.jpg

Suggestions for both a manual and replacement probe would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

All thermo coupler probes of the same leter are the same. There are
several different letters used.

Just find any K type that the plug matches the instrument you are using.
The plug should be made out of the same material as the t/c.

The most common plugs are usually the K and J type. They will not
interchange and give the correct temperature.

You must have really stuck it into something hot. The K type is good
for around 2000 deg F. You could have melted the probe if it was some
sort of plastic, but the T/C should still be good unless it was over
about 2000 deg F.

Old October 31st 19, 12:29 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Horton wrote:

------------------

** Did you do any Googling at all?

K type probes and wire tipped versions are all compatible with the same meters.

https://store.wirelesstag.net/products/thermocouple

I like the tipped ones cos thermal inertia is so much smaller - means I can measure power semiconductor case temps in a few seconds.

...... Phil

Old October 31st 19, 03:02 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/30/19 7:29 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

------------------

** Did you do any Googling at all?

K type probes and wire tipped versions are all compatible with the same meters.

https://store.wirelesstag.net/products/thermocouple

I like the tipped ones cos thermal inertia is so much smaller - means I can measure power semiconductor case temps in a few seconds.

Thanks. Yes, I did Google it but the uncertainty was the range of my
meter and whether or not it made any difference. Doesn't appear to, so
I will be ordering a replacement probe shortly.

..... Phil

Old October 31st 19, 03:21 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Horton wrote:

------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

------------------

** Did you do any Googling at all?

K type probes and wire tipped versions are all compatible with
the same meters.

https://store.wirelesstag.net/products/thermocouple

I like the tipped ones cos thermal inertia is so much smaller
- means I can measure power semiconductor case temps in a few seconds.

Thanks. Yes, I did Google it

** Now, you need tell us that in your first post.

but the uncertainty was the range of my
meter and whether or not it made any difference.

** What did you actually Google for?

Cos I found this in about 30 seconds:

http://www.tes.com.tw/en/product_detail.asp?seq=324

Doesn't appear to, so I will be ordering a replacement probe shortly.

** So, it is a probe or wire tipped item you are after?

Most stand alone meters, like yours, cover the full range of a K-type thermocouple.

But probes and wire tipped jobs have upper temp limits due to the insulation used in making them.

If we don't know what you are doing - how can we possibly help you ?

..... Phil
Old October 31st 19, 04:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 15:42:59 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

I have had this thermometer for probably a decade. About three years
ago, I accidentally put the K type probe into something too hot and
ruined it. Now it's time to get another probe, but I'm not sure which
one. I lost the info on the thermometer, but here is an image:

https://i.imgur.com/RHXsSsS.jpg

Suggestions for both a manual and replacement probe would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

About half of my various digital multimeters can be used as a
thermometer using a Type-K thermocouple probe. Perhaps it's time to
junk your 10 year old meter and just use a multimeter? Or, perhaps
add some additional functionality, such as a data logger?

I can't deduce what style of Type-K probe you managed to destroy. So,
pick a photo that looks familiar as any Type-K probe will work.
https://www.google.com/search?q=k-type+thermocouple+probes&tbm=isch
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=type-K+thermocouple+probe

I prefer the bare thermocouple end with the common yellow flat blade
type connector. For use on some instruments, I have an adapter to
banana plugs. The wire is usually fiberglass wrapped to handle the
heat. If I need a tip for better heat conduction or mechanical
attachment, I stuff the tip into a copper or brass tube, and fill with
whatever is handy. If I want accuracy, corrosion resistance, or high
temp, I use a commercial probe. For example, for a 1000C kiln:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=type+k+thermocouple+probe+kiln
Or, use tape or glue:
https://www.ecd.com/support/learning-center/resources/thermocouple-attachment-methods.aspx?Post=3916&tabid=371

Hint: Perform a rough ice bath and boiling water sanity check on any
probe you buy. I've seen a few surprises and built a few defective
probes.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 31st 19, 05:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 08:59:20 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Or, use tape or glue:
https://www.ecd.com/support/learning-center/resources/thermocouple-attachment-methods.aspx?Post=3916&tabid=371

I just started using this glue for attaching thermocouples:
https://supergluecorp.com/product/zap-it/
About $8 for 4 oz. I can position the sensor, slop on some glue, hit
it with some UV light, and I'm done in a few seconds. Of course, the
bond is essentially permanent, so you have to do it right the first
time.

Also, you can make your own thermocouples with a specialized welder:
https://www.amazon.com/TL-WELD-Thermocouple-Thermocouples-Temperature-90V-240V/dp/B01N280272
with a 12v car battery and a hammer:
https://pcbsmoke.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/makeshift-thermocouple-spot-weld/
with almost any common heat welding method (oxy-acetylene, HHO
hydrogen torch, Brown gas, etc):
https://www.google.com/search?q=hho+mini+torch
or if you have some environmentally incorrect mercury available:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/thermocouple-wire-83495/#post130354

Old October 31st 19, 06:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/31/19 11:32 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Also, you can make your own thermocouples with a specialized welder:

Back at TRW I'd just use a suicide cord and a #2 pencil lead
as an arc welder to "weld" the two wires together.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0