Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Horton Jim Horton is offline

Default need to find a replacement K type probe for this thermometer

On 10/31/19 11:59 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

About half of my various digital multimeters can be used as a
thermometer using a Type-K thermocouple probe. Perhaps it's time to
junk your 10 year old meter and just use a multimeter? Or, perhaps
add some additional functionality, such as a data logger?

I can't deduce what style of Type-K probe you managed to destroy. So,
pick a photo that looks familiar as any Type-K probe will work.
https://www.google.com/search?q=k-type+thermocouple+probes&tbm=isch
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=type-K+thermocouple+probe

I still have the actual K probe:

https://imgur.com/a/4H9rNrs

The probe, when plugged in, still shows temperatures but very
inaccurately. You can see what happened in the third image with parts
of the feed wire having insulation burned away. Perhaps it could be
repaired? Never thought I could, just assumed I ruined it. The
insulation looks like some form of Teflon or similar.