Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default need to find a replacement K type probe for this thermometer

In article , says...
Solder or weld? I can do solder, but no welding capability here.
Thanks, though.

They should be welded. Solder introduces another materal. The two
wires are different materials all the way back to the meter. Even the
plug should be made of the same material on each terminal. At the tip
they are joined together and form a junction that generates a voltage
depending on the temperature. I don't know if all metels do that or
not, but do know there are about half a dozen types of T/Cs that are
standard. Each one is designated a letter as to the material it is made
of.

Where I worked we used thousands of them. Mostly J type and some K
type. The company that made them for us was local and had a few spools
of the wire reserved for us so they would be consistant. Even with that
they could be off about 2 deg C at 300 deg C. from each other.

Part of my job was caliberating insturments that used them.