Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Horton Jim Horton is offline

Default need to find a replacement K type probe for this thermometer

On 11/1/19 6:46 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Jim Horton wrote:

-------------------------------
I still have the actual K probe:

https://imgur.com/a/4H9rNrs

** Does that look like a "probe" to you ?

Replacements cost about $5

WTF are you doing here ?

Wasting our time for your fun ?

No. Thermocouple. I stand corrected. The thermocouple isn't an
absolute necessity at the current time, but I miss having it working
correctly. It has been needing replacing for a couple of years and I
could have used it to measure wax temperatures recently. Instead I used
a cheap, wireless IR thermometer.

The probe, when plugged in, still shows temperatures but very
inaccurately.

** Yeah, the insulation has failed and there are shorts in the cable.

Did you try to measure a flame ?

To be honest, I don't remember. Either a flame or I was experimenting
with solar cookers using fresnel lenses a few years back. These can
become quite hot with large lenses like I had (3000+ F), so chances are
concentrated solar energy hit the insulation and melted it. Not sure,
however.

.... Phil