Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default need to find a replacement K type probe for this thermometer

In article , says...

Thanks for the info. I just posted pictures of the probe and damage in
my prior post. It does/did read room temperature. In fact, to my
surprise, with the probe plugged in right now, it is measuring within 7
degree F of actual room temperature. With the missing sections of
insulation, if I dip into any liquid, it throws the temperature way off.

You can probably cut the wires back to where the insulation is not
melted and twist them together vrey tight and it will read the
temperature at that point. If you could weld, not solder the wires
together it should still work.

If you want to measure liquid temperture, the wires do have to be
isolated from the liquid. Any thing that conducts electricity between
the wires will cause a false reading.

It is probably showing the incorrect temperature in your mouth because
the liquid or skin resistance is causing a false voltage between the
wires without insulation.