Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default need to find a replacement K type probe for this thermometer

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 12:07:01 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 10/31/19 11:32 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Also, you can make your own thermocouples with a specialized welder:

Back at TRW I'd just use a suicide cord and a #2 pencil lead
as an arc welder to "weld" the two wires together.

You're dangerous. I like that. However, times have changed. You can
do far more damage these days with a $63 miniature inverter stick arc
welder:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HZXVOGEN-ARC-Welder-220V-MMA-Stick-ARC-Welder-IGBT-Inverter-ARC-Welding-Machine/143182473855
"Cheap Ebay Welder -- WILL IT TIG?!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1lSmtuyUg
Notice the 2 wire power cord.

I was looking for an excuse to buy a miniature brazing torch for the
small stuff, which might include thermocouples. The only problem is I
don't need too many thermocouples and I have a fairly good supply in
stock. Cheap enough to try without much financial damage if it can't
melt the nickel-chromium and nickel-alumel wires of 1400°C (2550°F).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeweler-Jewelry-Micro-Mini-Gas-Little-Torch-Welding-Platinum-Metal-Soldering-Kit/273927011832
A hydrogen torch should be able to generate up to about 2500°C, so it
should work (hopefully without melting the tip).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D