Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Damned ink cartridges

I have an Hp ink jet printer that uses two cartridges. There is one three color, and one black cartridge, a number 21. Ninety five percent of any printing I might do is in black, but the problem is I rarely have to print anything. So the printer sits idle covered up, sometimes for months and the cartridges dry up. I've boiled these up and refilled them several times, and although this restores operation it is always a messy pain in the ass job.

Today I had to print a 150 page document, and rather than use my wife's laser printer and then have to listen to her complain about the toner being low, I fired up the HP. Of course the cartridges were set right up solid. After cooking hem for awhile I got the color one going, but rather than re inking that one I concentrated on the black. I finally got the ink running out of it after simmering it over the stove for about an hour. In the interim though I got impatient and ****ed off and just tore into a new cartridge to get the job done.

So now I have to put the printer away again for only God knows how long and it would be nice if at least I could count on the new black cartridge to still be alive when I next try to use it. I realize that these damned things are going to dry up eventually but is there anything that can be done perhaps in the way of storing the working used cartridges to prevent this, or at least prolong the inevitable? Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Maybe put a piece of scotch tape over the ink outlet holes, like HP ships
them with?

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, July 18, 2014 4:49:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I noticed the tape that they put on the new one and although it didn't seem to be a problem when I removed it I questioned whether or not that was such a great idea. I was afraid of it gumming up the print surface. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 19/07/2014 6:49 AM, wrote:
[...]

**Just buy a cheap laser printer and be done with it. You can store it
away and be confident that your great-great-great-great-great
grandchilrden can connect it up (assuming USB connections are still
possible) and print using the same toner cartridge.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I don't print a lot from my inkjet { use the scanner mostly }. I pull my carts
double bag them, tight and put in the refrigerator .
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you're not going to pony up the bucks for a LASER, maybe you should take those big print jobs to a Kinkos or whatever they have in your area. With 150 pages, even at ten cents each that's fiften bucks. but it IS LASER printed so the ink is not water soluble.

At this point I wondder just how much ink you would use in an inkjet to print 150 paages. Of course it varies but if those cartridges are say $25 and you use up half the thing printing your document, it seems worth it to go to a copy center. LASER is alot cheaper, maybe next time you want to buy another printer, or cartridge, just buy the Woman toner for her LASER.

Another thing, I have an HP 100+ which was a great workhorse until it developed some problems. It did not have the fault with the paper where it grabs five sheets at a time. They are probably about forty bucks on eBay if they have alot of toner in them. I never even though of toner in mine. Also, that model does not indicate toner level. No chips in the cartridge or anything as far as I know. So you just drill a hole in it and pour in some Xerox copier toner and run it for another ten years.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 13:49:36 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have an Hp ink jet printer that uses two cartridges. There is one three color, and one black cartridge, a number 21.

(...)

Many years ago, before cheap Chinese clone cartridges, I had a similar
problem. The problem was how to store partly used ink carts outside
of the printer. At the time, HP had a cute little plastic carrier,
that had a rubber plug over the jets, very much like what's inside the
printer. This was necessary because at the time, HP had two different
grades of carts for the printer. Users were expected to have one set
of each. Since the printer only held 1 type of ink cart at a time, a
storage carrier was needed. They came in various sizes and shapes and
worked well. Here's one example:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=HP+C2621-60007
Later, HP went to much simpler version, with no fancy box. Just a
plastic clip, and a rubber plug. Those did not work at all.

I reasoned that the difference between the two systems was that the
simple clip let in too much air which dried the ink, and that the cart
had to be stored upright. My "solution" was to apply a smear of
Vaseline (petroleum jelly)[1] to the jets before storage, which sealed
the jets. I was careful to store them upright, to make sure there was
ink covering the other side of the jets. For sealing and to prevent
the Vaseline from evaporating, I embalmed the cart in cellophane wrap.
I never could get any of my customers to follow my example, so I don't
know how well it might function in the field. It worked well enough
for me, where I've taken ancient used cartridges out of storage, and
they printed the first time, with no clogged nozzles.

[1] Any grease or fat will work, as long as it's sealed in cellophane
wrap. While testing, I used white grease, disc brake grease, butter,
and silicon grease. All seemed to work well, although most required a
solvent to remove. Vaseline was unique in that it will evaporate in
thin layers, which made cleaning easier.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, wrote:

If you're not going to pony up the bucks for a LASER, maybe you should
take those big print jobs to a Kinkos or whatever they have in your
area. With 150 pages, even at ten cents each that's fiften bucks. but it
IS LASER printed so the ink is not water soluble.

At this point I wondder just how much ink you would use in an inkjet to
print 150 paages. Of course it varies but if those cartridges are say
$25 and you use up half the thing printing your document, it seems worth
it to go to a copy center. LASER is alot cheaper, maybe next time you
want to buy another printer, or cartridge, just buy the Woman toner for
her LASER.

I paid somewhere around fifty dollars for refilled cartridge for my HP 4P.
It printed some thousands of pages, I can't remmber what. It's a bother
to have to get a new one, but once you've got it, it keeps on ticking.

I used one up pretty fast a decade ago, but I was printing a lot of
things, rather than going elsewhere to print repetitive pages. The second
one then was a couple of years later, but it's still working at least 8
years later. Obviously I'm not printing as much, but if I needed a 150
pages, I wouldn't be fussing about cost. It probably is cheaper, and if
not, the slight savings going to some copy place is offset by having to go
to that copy place.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"The HP100 is a portable inkjet printer, not a laser printer. Try
again on the model number. "

Oops, an 1100+.

Damn eyes, one of these days I am just going to pluck them out and be done with it lol. (truthfuly it is also part laziness, but really, who wants to spend a half hour on every post ?)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:34:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"The HP100 is a portable inkjet printer, not a laser printer. Try

again on the model number. "

Oops, an 1100+.

Ghastly laser printer. The 1000 through 1300(?) series were probably
the second worst printer that HP ever made[1]. Paper jams are
epidemic. HP even issued a rather useless paper jam kit to somewhat
fix the paper jams without tearing the printer apart. They're still
quite common on eBay:
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dkw=laserjet+1100+paper+jam+kit
Never mind cleaning the 1100. You'll need to tear it apart and
replace the parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T2xE6ZjCUg (8:67)
I have several LaserJunk 1000 printers if you want spares.

Damn eyes, one of these days I am just going to pluck them out
and be done with it lol. (truthfuly it is also part laziness,
but really, who wants to spend a half hour on every post ?)

I just experienced a minor miracle with my eyes. I've had to deal
with astigmatism for the last 30+ years. I needed prescription
glasses for driving and distance viewing. Recently, I was having
problems focusing while wearing the glasses. I suffered along,
waiting for a suitable time to get a new prescription, when I decided
to try driving without the glasses. Bingo... almost perfect distance
focus.

The blood vessels in the eyes are not symmetrically distributed. With
high blood pressure, these uneven blood vessels cause the eye to
change shape, causing astigmatism. In 2001, I started on blood
pressure lowering drugs, which reduced the pressure on the eye, which
changed back to its original shape. Unfortunately, it does nothing
for hardening of the lens, so I still need reading and computah
glasses.

[1] The Laserjet 1160, 1320, p2015 etc series are probably the worst.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

My father wore "coke bottle" glasses all his life. In his mid 70's he had cataract surgery. (I think I'm next in line). After that until he passed away in 1993 at 81 he was able to see distance without glasses and switched to a much milder prescription for everything else.

I too have blood pressure concerns, (it's our heritage Jeff) and I was told by an ophthalmologist years ago that high blood pressure will damage the small vessels in the eyes before other things like the kidneys. I always ask the doctor to look for that whenever, (if ever) I should happen to have a checkup. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, July 18, 2014 4:49:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
... it would be nice if at least I could count on the new black cartridge to still be alive when I next try to use it. I realize that these damned things are going to dry up eventually but is there anything that can be done perhaps in the way of storing the working used cartridges to prevent this, or at least prolong the inevitable? Thanks, Lenny

I feel your pain.

From time to time, Walgreens puts on sale a Canon printer for $19.99. This ad is from 2012, but keep an eye out for the sale flyer.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4940766-cano...nline-shipping

For that price, you get a starter cartridge too. I don't know if it will last for 150 sheets, but my experience with inkjet cartridges just about has me at the point that I'd consider buying the $20 printer and throwing it away after my print job rather than buying replacement cartridges.

The last cartridge I bought was for a Canon Pixma something. The cartridge was a Canon Number 40 or 41; not sure. It was supposed to hold up for 500 pages. I didn't get 80 out of it. It leaked too. Brand name cartridge, not no name.

Laser is better.

Damned Caravan DerbyBoy UK diy 30 November 14th 11 05:37 PM
Damned Verizon! Jim Chandler Metalworking 3 September 22nd 08 11:09 PM
Damned fox John UK diy 5 September 4th 08 12:28 PM
Damned ink jet cartridges [email protected] Electronics Repair 15 April 16th 05 12:23 AM
That damned Murphy was right Todd Woodworking 12 September 15th 03 06:12 PM