Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damned Caravan

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead of
putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover so instead
of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of the year it now
looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly and obstructs my view
when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the front
of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson). Any
suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder considered - but the noise
would attract his attention)

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBoy wrote:

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead of
putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover so
instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of the
year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly and
obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the
front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson). Any
suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder considered - but the noise
would attract his attention)

Regards

I recommend just living with it. Out of all the cardinal sins of neighbours,
it's hardly that much of a capital offense and it is a caravan - at least
it's not a luton van/shipping container/pile of rusty metal/asbestos
shed/etc...

He may have a good reason anyway - such as doing some work on it this
season.

My deeds say all sorts of things, like no caravans, no trades to be
conducted except medical or law (and one or two other "respectable" trades),
no fairground rides.

I ignore those (as does everyone else) and just stick with being mostly
reasonable The estate who have an interest in the covenent probably don't
care anyway, even if they still exist.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2011 18:29, DerbyBoy wrote:
My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead of
putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover so
instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of the
year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly and
obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the
front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson).
Any suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder considered - but the
noise would attract his attention)

Regards

I guess a lot depends on how well you get on with your neighbour, and
whether or not you're worried about maintaining diplomatic relations.

If there are any local bye-laws[1] banning caravans on drives, you may
be able to get the local authority to act - without it being totally
obvious who reported it - but the neighbour will probably guess!

If the covenant was imposed by the builder who built your house and the
neighbouring properties, you would probably have to get him to enforce
it. Chances are, though, that he won't be interested - even if he still
exists - because many of these covenants have the sole purpose of making
the estate look more attractive so that the builder can sell the
remaining houses more easily. Once they're all sold, no-one gives a damn
any more!

[1] I believe that places like Solihull had used to have bye-laws to
that effect - don't know whether they still do.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead of
putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover so
instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of the
year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly and
obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

well, it is his drive, he could move the caravan for you, and put in it's
place a rusting dilapidated old wreck of a car or 2, or a trannie tipper
full of crap in the back, or he could dig the drive up and plant leylandii's
by the dozen.

if you really can't live with it, let him know you keep seeing pikeys
driving slowly down the street, and the other day when he was out one of
them got out and had a good look under the cover, and gave the thumbs up
sign to his mate in dodgey looking transit with chains hanging off the rear
bumper where a tow bar would go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:29:25 +0000, DerbyBoy wrote:
I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson).

Rats, I started reading and the immediate thought was, "well, they
usually burn pretty well," but I see you've already thought of that.

I wonder if it's left unlocked? Throwing a dead pig in there might ensure
that it doesn't happen again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , DerbyBoy
writes
My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead of
putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover so
instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of the
year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly and
obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the
front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson).
Any suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder considered - but the
noise would attract his attention)

Regards

Just because he has put a cover over it doesn't mean it's going to be
any more permanent than normal. That's probably why he has left it on
the drive.

As for covenants, unless it states otherwise, yours only applies to you.
They can I believe only be enforced by the original developer.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2011 21:03, Gazz wrote:
[...]

That's actually quite sneaky ;-)))

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 21:46:47 +0000, Huge wrote:
I wonder if it's left unlocked? Throwing a dead pig in there might
ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Or failing a pig, a couple of bags of prawns.

Good idea. Easier to throw, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:47:18 +0000 Tim Watts wrote :
I recommend just living with it. Out of all the cardinal sins of neighbours,
it's hardly that much of a capital offense and it is a caravan - at least
it's not a luton van/shipping container/pile of rusty metal/asbestos
shed/etc...

When you sell IIRC there's a question about whether you have had disputes with
neighbours and it might work against you to have to answer 'yes'

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 23:25:34 +0000 Hugh wrote :
As for covenants, unless it states otherwise, yours only applies to you.
They can I believe only be enforced by the original developer.

Note necessarily if the properties are part of an estate

http://lawiki.org/lawwiki/Building_scheme_covenant

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 21:46:47 +0000, Huge wrote:
I wonder if it's left unlocked? Throwing a dead pig in there might
ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Or failing a pig, a couple of bags of prawns.

Good idea. Easier to throw, too.

And easier to buy!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 21:46:47 +0000, Huge wrote:
I wonder if it's left unlocked? Throwing a dead pig in there might
ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Or failing a pig, a couple of bags of prawns.

Good idea. Easier to throw, too.

Or a dead fish . Preferably in the ventilation intake (if it has one!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 15:08:36 -0800 (PST), Owain wrote:

Turn it into an asset - ask if you could use it when your M-i-L comes
to visit over Christmas.

Who for the MiL or the OP? I suspect you mean the OP... B-)

I do like the wheeze about saying that you've seen some "up to no
goods" eyeing it up.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBoy" No-one wrote in message
My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead of
putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover so
instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of the
year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly and
obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the
front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

Checked out something similar before we bought a house - there were
covenants against caravans etc.
We wanted to make sure we could park our camper van outside.

We were advised that these covenants were usually imposed to prevent
traveller encampments and the like (as in Dale Farm) and to make sure the
land sold to the developers was used for building normal domestic housing
and not for other uses.

It is very rare that the covenants from the original land owners to the
initial developers are still held by any body interested in doing anything
about it.
Especially as they were not intended to prevent house owners parking stuff
on their drives.
'50s and before, owning a caravan for leisure was quite rare and not thought
to be an issue.

'70s onwards estates may still have covenants about not having hedges and
fences at the front, and parking caravans - to maintain the open plan design
and make it look as though the houses have more garden than they actually
do.

However, as posted elswhere if a caravan on the front drive is the biggest
problem, you are lucky with your neighbours (and hopefully they are too).

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBoy wrote:

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead
of putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover
so instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of
the year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly
and obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the
front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson).
Any suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder considered - but the
noise would attract his attention)

****ing NIMBY (or front ..) what's wrong with it?

At least it isn't a flat-bed truck and car carcases. I suppose you
never do anything that ever ****es your neighbours off?

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:13:17 +0000, Paul - xxx wrote:
At least it isn't a flat-bed truck and car carcases. I suppose you
never do anything that ever ****es your neighbours off?

It sounds like he's about to ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead
of putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover
so instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of
the year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly
and obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the
front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson).
Any suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder considered - but the
noise would attract his attention)

****ing NIMBY (or front ..) what's wrong with it?

It's a caravan. Enough said.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive
instead of putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly
green cover so instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only
about 8 months of the year it now looks like being a permanent
fixture. It looks ugly and obstructs my view when backing off my
drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on
the front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep
chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than
arson). Any suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder
considered - but the noise would attract his attention)

****ing NIMBY (or front ..) what's wrong with it?

It's a caravan. Enough said.

Heh, I love my caravan, away in it almost every fortnight ..

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Mark Cavendish, World Champion 2011.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 12/11/2011 21:03, Gazz wrote:
[...]

I passed a caravan the other day that someone had spray painted on the side
in red paint the words "fanny rash" and a big love heart next to the words.

Dunno why, but it did amuse me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth adamwadsworth@blue
yonder.co.uk scribeth thus
Paul - xxx wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead
of putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover
so instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of
the year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly
and obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the
front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson).
Any suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder considered - but the
noise would attract his attention)

****ing NIMBY (or front ..) what's wrong with it?

It's a caravan. Enough said.

Imagine the vids when matey next door gets one on that slope;!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 13, 4:19*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Paul - xxx wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead
of putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover
so instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of
the year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly
and obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the
front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson).
Any suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder considered - but the
noise would attract his attention)

****ing NIMBY (or front ..) what's wrong with it?

It's a caravan. Enough said.

Could be worse - Pontiac Aztec, Porsche Cayenne, etc.

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead
of putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green
cover so instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8
months of the year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It
looks ugly and obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on
the front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep
chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than
arson). Any suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder
considered - but the noise would attract his attention)

****ing NIMBY (or front ..) what's wrong with it?

It's a caravan. Enough said.

Imagine the vids when matey next door gets one on that slope;!.....

The next door neighbour has a new toy (the photo was taken 10 minutes ago)

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_0714.jpg

So he cannot personally occupy a caravan on his driveway between 7pm and
7am:-)

For reasons that I cannot give (ie I do not want to go to jail) his court
case for a very serious offence has collapsed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Halmyre" wrote in message

On Nov 13, 4:19 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Paul - xxx wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

My neighbour has decided to winter his caravan on his drive instead
of putting it into storage. He has fitted it with a ugly green cover
so instead of putting up with the eye-sore for only about 8 months of
the year it now looks like being a permanent fixture. It looks ugly
and obstructs my view when backing off my drive.

The deeds of our properties state that caravans cannot be left on the
front of the properties (as well as saying we can't keep chickens)

I don't suppose I can do anything about it though (other than arson).
Any suggestions will be welcomed. (Angle Grinder considered - but the
noise would attract his attention)

****ing NIMBY (or front ..) what's wrong with it?

It's a caravan. Enough said.

Today the wheels have been removed and replaced with metal plates so it
obviously ain't going to a storage place like it did last year. It only goes
out for about 4 days in the summer!

My comfort will be that his lounge is so dark during the winter that he has
to have the lights on all day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBoy wrote:
"Halmyre" wrote in message

On Nov 13, 4:19 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Paul - xxx wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

[...]

You do not understand "THE CARAVAN OWNER".

He will sit on the setee and masturbate three times a day whilst looking
adoringly at his caravan through the lounge window.

He will also post pictures to Caravan Monthly magazine to the "readers own
"section with the caravans number plate covered with a black rectangle so
that she cannot be recognised.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:47:18 +0000 Tim Watts wrote :
I recommend just living with it. Out of all the cardinal sins of neighbours,
it's hardly that much of a capital offense and it is a caravan - at least
it's not a luton van/shipping container/pile of rusty metal/asbestos
shed/etc...

When you sell IIRC there's a question about whether you have had disputes with
neighbours and it might work against you to have to answer 'yes'

The only disputes which apply are those relating to the property itself
such as boundaries, shared drives and such. There was a case thrown out
a little while ago about a noisy neighbour argument.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2011 11:08, David WE Roberts wrote:
We were advised that these covenants were usually imposed to prevent
traveller encampments and the like (as in Dale Farm) and to make sure
the land sold to the developers was used for building normal domestic
housing and not for other uses.

There's a covenant on ours preventing us from parking boats on the
drive. That can't be for encampments.

(As I race sailing dinghies I noticed this. So I put the boat in the
garage and leave the car outside.)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...rrent=100_0714.
jpg

So he cannot personally occupy a caravan on his driveway between 7pm and
7am:-)

Or much else out either!.

For reasons that I cannot give (ie I do not want to go to jail) his court
case for a very serious offence has collapsed.

--
Tony Sayer

Damned cable companies!! klem kedidelhopper Electronics Repair 12 July 8th 11 10:37 PM
Damned Verizon! Jim Chandler Metalworking 3 September 22nd 08 11:09 PM
Damned fox John UK diy 5 September 4th 08 12:28 PM
Damned ink jet cartridges [email protected] Electronics Repair 15 April 16th 05 12:23 AM
That damned Murphy was right Todd Woodworking 12 September 15th 03 06:12 PM