Todd

Default That damned Murphy was right

One of the many correlaries to Murphy's law is that an object, once lost,
will not be found until it is replaced. My 6" dial caliper has been missing
for months. I delayed replacing it because I just *knew* it was here
somewhere. Finally, last week, I bought a new one, telling my wife that
"I'm not going to find my old one until I buy a new one." I don't have to
tell you what I found yesterday when I opened a box in the garage that I had
neglected to look in.

todd

Wolf Lahti

"Todd" wrote:

One of the many correlaries to Murphy's law is that an object, once lost,
will not be found until it is replaced. My 6" dial caliper has been missing
for months. I delayed replacing it because I just *knew* it was here
somewhere. Finally, last week, I bought a new one, telling my wife that
"I'm not going to find my old one until I buy a new one." I don't have to
tell you what I found yesterday when I opened a box in the garage that I had
neglected to look in.

'Neglecting to look in' is never my problem. I'll look in the same
damned boxed six or twelve times trying to find something. I'll take
everything out of said box and put it back in. Multiple times.

Then one day, I'll look in the same box, and there's the thing I've been
looking for - and no one can convince me it was there all along.

Gremlins don't just mangle aircraft, ya know.

Morgans

"Todd" wrote in message
One of the many correlaries to Murphy's law is that an object, once lost,
will not be found until it is replaced. My 6" dial caliper has been

missing
for months. I delayed replacing it because I just *knew* it was here
somewhere. Finally, last week, I bought a new one, telling my wife that
"I'm not going to find my old one until I buy a new one." I don't have to
tell you what I found yesterday when I opened a box in the garage that I

had
neglected to look in.

todd

Murphy's 1st addendum. Murphy was an optimist.
--
Jim in NC

Swingman

Good point ... I'm heading out to the hardware store right now to buy two
tape measures to replace the two I've lost the past month. Really looking
forward to having four.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/08/03

"Todd" wrote in message
One of the many correlaries to Murphy's law is that an object, once lost,
will not be found until it is replaced.

Silvan

Wolf Lahti wrote:

'Neglecting to look in' is never my problem. I'll look in the same
damned boxed six or twelve times trying to find something. I'll take
everything out of said box and put it back in. Multiple times.

Then one day, I'll look in the same box, and there's the thing I've been
looking for - and no one can convince me it was there all along.

Gremlins don't just mangle aircraft, ya know.

I don't think it's gremlins. I think there are little holes in the
space/time continuum, and our stuff falls in there, then something in the
universe shifts, and it pops back out.

The OP's rule is soooo true. I think the greatest proof of this is with
guitar picks. I won't be able to find a pick to save my life, looking
under every cushion, in every drawer, under every scrap of paper on my
desk, and as soon as I go buy some new ones, the old ones magically come
out of hiding. I think this happens just so SWMBO can say "What do you
need *more* guitar picks for? You have six dozen of them already."

Tool wise, recently, my jigsaw... I spent a great deal of time looking for
the jigsaw, not finding it, and I went out and bought a new one. Sure
enough, I came back, and there the old one was hanging on a peg in plain
sight. I *swear* it must have fallen into one of those holes in the
space/time continuum, because I *know* I looked on that peg at least a
dozen times.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17704 Approximate word count: 531120

Mistercmk

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:45:58 -0700, Wolf Lahti
pixelated:

'Neglecting to look in' is never my problem. I'll look in the same
damned boxed six or twelve times trying to find something. I'll take
everything out of said box and put it back in. Multiple times.

Then one day, I'll look in the same box, and there's the thing I've been
looking for - and no one can convince me it was there all along.

Ah, you need some of our extra-strength Murphy's Decloaking Fluid.
Only $31.95 for a huge half-ounce bottle!

If you need some of the Dercloaking fluid, let me know, I am now selling it.

Lee Gordon

Ah, you need some of our extra-strength Murphy's Decloaking Fluid.
Only $31.95 for a huge half-ounce bottle!

Damn! I had some of that stuff but I can't remember where I put it.

Lee

Fred McClellan

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:29:24 -0500, "Todd"
wrote:

One of the many correlaries to Murphy's law is that an object, once lost,
will not be found until it is replaced. My 6" dial caliper has been missing
for months. I delayed replacing it because I just *knew* it was here
somewhere. Finally, last week, I bought a new one, telling my wife that
"I'm not going to find my old one until I buy a new one." I don't have to
tell you what I found yesterday when I opened a box in the garage that I had
neglected to look in.

Not sure whether that was a Murphyism or a Cosbyism.

Bill Cosby postulated the "Butt Switch Paradigm".

When you find yourself standing in a room in your house and you cannot
for the life of you remember why you went there in the first place, go
back where you came from and sit down.

According to Cosby, sitting down in the original location activates a
secret "Butt Switch" which forces a reload of why you went to that
other room.

I've found that when I can't find something I know I have, I leave the
model building shed, walk back across the yard to the house, go
upstairs, and pile up in the LazyBoy.

That activates my butt switch and I remember where I put what it was I
couldn't find before.

Damn near infallible.

Seriously considering a LazyBoy for the model building shed. Since
one of those recliners won't fit in my existing model building shed,
maybe I can make a case for a new shed.

[yeah, sure]
Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
Herman Family

I'm a believer in Murphy also. One time I was fixing a stereo and lost a
small screw. As you might imagine finding one of these suckers could be a
long drawn out affair. I decided that if Murphy was right, that the screw
would have to be located in the place in which it would do the most possible
damage, and checked there first. There it was. I would have blown out a
good chunk of the board if I didn't see that screw sitting there on one of
the power leads and touching another circuit.

Michael

"Todd" wrote in message
One of the many correlaries to Murphy's law is that an object, once lost,
will not be found until it is replaced. My 6" dial caliper has been

missing
for months. I delayed replacing it because I just *knew* it was here
somewhere. Finally, last week, I bought a new one, telling my wife that
"I'm not going to find my old one until I buy a new one." I don't have to
tell you what I found yesterday when I opened a box in the garage that I

had
neglected to look in.

todd

Buddy Matlosz

Not sure whether that was a Murphyism or a Cosbyism.

Bill Cosby postulated the "Butt Switch Paradigm".

When you find yourself standing in a room in your house and you cannot
for the life of you remember why you went there in the first place, go
back where you came from and sit down.

According to Cosby, sitting down in the original location activates a
secret "Butt Switch" which forces a reload of why you went to that
other room.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work if you forget where you were just sitting.

B.

Buddy Matlosz

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 02:52:11 GMT, "Buddy Matlosz"
pixelated:

Not sure whether that was a Murphyism or a Cosbyism.

Bill Cosby postulated the "Butt Switch Paradigm".

When you find yourself standing in a room in your house and you cannot
for the life of you remember why you went there in the first place, go
back where you came from and sit down.

According to Cosby, sitting down in the original location activates a
secret "Butt Switch" which forces a reload of why you went to that
other room.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work if you forget where you were just

sitting.

If you forget that, it doesn't _matter_ where you were.
You'll have forgotten why you wanted to get back there
by then.

Ummm......back where?

B.

DarylRos

Here is the funny part. There us a real Murphy. He was COlonel Murphy of the
USAF, head of maintenance in Colorado Springs in the 1950's.

So Murphy really did invent Murphy's law. I wonder if he did the soap too......