Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Damned ink cartridges

On 19/07/2014 6:49 AM, wrote:
I have an Hp ink jet printer that uses two cartridges. There is one
three color, and one black cartridge, a number 21. Ninety five
percent of any printing I might do is in black, but the problem is I
rarely have to print anything. So the printer sits idle covered up,
sometimes for months and the cartridges dry up. I've boiled these up
and refilled them several times, and although this restores operation
it is always a messy pain in the ass job.

Today I had to print a 150 page document, and rather than use my
wife's laser printer and then have to listen to her complain about
the toner being low, I fired up the HP. Of course the cartridges were
set right up solid. After cooking hem for awhile I got the color one
going, but rather than re inking that one I concentrated on the
black. I finally got the ink running out of it after simmering it
over the stove for about an hour. In the interim though I got
impatient and ****ed off and just tore into a new cartridge to get
the job done.

So now I have to put the printer away again for only God knows how
long and it would be nice if at least I could count on the new black
cartridge to still be alive when I next try to use it. I realize that
these damned things are going to dry up eventually but is there
anything that can be done perhaps in the way of storing the working
used cartridges to prevent this, or at least prolong the inevitable?
Thanks, Lenny

**Just buy a cheap laser printer and be done with it. You can store it
away and be confident that your great-great-great-great-great
grandchilrden can connect it up (assuming USB connections are still
possible) and print using the same toner cartridge.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au