Junior Member

Default Broke my watch beyond repair?

last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw.

Last edited by Finch : January 16th 14 at 10:44 AM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/1/2013 7:06 AM, Finch wrote:
last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and
was working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was
wearing protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw. I
mean I'm lucky that I didn't get hurt or anything but it's a darn
shame about my watch, because it was quite expensive too. It was a
pilot watch that my wife got me shortly after our wedding. Although
it was 'a used watch'
(http://www.chrono24.com/en/watches/p...atches--39.htm ) it was
still quite expensive. Anyway, the damage seems to be mainly on the
wristband and the glass lid, and yet, with no visible damage to the
internal works, it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Does anyone
have any advice what it could be, or what to do? My wife doesn't know
yet

I wouldn't try guessing when it comes to repairing a watch of that
caliber (particularly a gift from my wife). I would just ship it insured
to the IWC (Pilot) authorized service center. It probably won't be
cheap, but you won't be sorry: http://www.superiorwatch.com

If it turns out that it's damaged beyond repair, you can always tell
your wife that it did save your hand ...

Junior Member

well I guess your right. I'll follow your advice and see how it turns out. Fingers crossed it won't be too expensive...
But i definitely like the idea of the watch having saved my hand that should be bust proof, or at least a nice test to see how much my wife still loves me
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 14:05:49 +0200, Finch wrote:

well I guess your right. I'll follow your advice and see how it turns
out. Fingers crossed it won't be too expensive...
But i definitely like the idea of the watch having saved my hand that
should be bust proof, or at least a nice test to see how much my wife
still loves me

But, will she ever allow you around power tools in the future? :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

well I guess your right. I'll follow your advice and see how it turns
out. Fingers crossed it won't be too expensive...
But i definitely like the idea of the watch having saved my hand that
should be bust proof, or at least a nice test to see how much my wife
still loves me

Hate to say it, but I think you committed *two* safety violations
while doing that particular bit of power-tool operation. One of them
*may* have cancelled out the other, but both were putting you at risk.

The two violations:

(1) Do not wear jewelry while operating power tools.

(2) Do not wear gloves while operating power tools.

The reasons are two-fold:

(1) Both jewelry (rings and watches) and gloves can easily become
snagged in a moving power-tool blade. If this happens, your hand
will be pulled into the blade, and the chance of really severe
injury is extremely high.

Such a snagging is much less likely to occur with bare skin. You
can definitely get a nasty cut this way, but the blade will
probably shear right through the flesh that touches it
immediately... it's not going to grab your hand and pull it
further into the cutting zone.

(2) If you wear gloves, you're blocking your skin's sensory network
(skin nerves) from sensing the approach of the blade. Moving saw
blades, lathes, etc. create a current of air moving around the
blade (turbulent flow) and your bare skin can feel this... you'll
tend to flinch away from it by reflex action, reducing the risk
that your hand will encounter the blade. With a glove on, this
sensing and reflexive withdrawal will not happen... the first
indication you'll have that your glove has approached the blade is
in the actual moment of contact... at which point the glove will
probably snag and you'll find yourself with missing body bits.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but all the safety advice I've read and
seen says that you're safer off operating bandsaws, table saws,
etc. bare-handed. Leave the gloves, watches, and rings on the table
over there -----

You got lucky this time, I think, but you might not be so lucky
again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Finch" wrote in message

well I guess your right. I'll follow your advice and see how it turns
out. Fingers crossed it won't be too expensive...
But i definitely like the idea of the watch having saved my hand that
should be bust proof, or at least a nice test to see how much my wife
still loves me

Chicks dig scars - that might also extend to the watch, particularly as it
saved your hand.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Platt" wrote in message
news
[...]

Probably take his hand off at the wrist without the watch bracelet to save
the day!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:06:32 +0200, Finch
wrote:

last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was
working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing
protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw.

Here's an experiment to try. Go to a butcher shop and find some
animal parts that will fit into your presumably kevlar or chainmail
gloves. A plastic bag over the meat will help with the cleanup. Now,
shove the glove into the running band saw blade. Did the glove do
anything to protect its contents? Probably very little. Repeat with
a table saw if you want blood all over the walls.

Next time, please use a pusher stick.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was
working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing
protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw.

Here's an experiment to try. Go to a butcher shop and find some
animal parts that will fit into your presumably kevlar or chainmail
gloves. A plastic bag over the meat will help with the cleanup. Now,
shove the glove into the running band saw blade. Did the glove do
anything to protect its contents? Probably very little. Repeat with
a table saw if you want blood all over the walls.

Next time, please use a pusher stick.

I like your style, Jeff! :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 17:21:40 -0700, (David
Platt) wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was
working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing
protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw.

Here's an experiment to try. Go to a butcher shop and find some
animal parts that will fit into your presumably kevlar or chainmail
gloves. A plastic bag over the meat will help with the cleanup. Now,
shove the glove into the running band saw blade. Did the glove do
anything to protect its contents? Probably very little. Repeat with
a table saw if you want blood all over the walls.

Next time, please use a pusher stick.

I like your style, Jeff! :-)

Thanks. When life and limb are on the line, I like to test the safety
gadgets. There was a video of someone sawing a butchers chainmail or
HexArmor glove in half with a band saw. I got the clue. Of course,
now I can't the video.

More interesting are the contact sensors and motor brake combinations
that claim to stop the cutter almost instantly.
http://www.sawstop.com
I haven't tested one myself, but the various videos showing it stop
instantly on a hot dog are impressive.

As for wearing a watch, I didn't know that people still wore watches.
Most use cell phones for the time. 30 years ago, I had problems with
watches and some rings. High RF fields and conductive loops didn't
mix well. The watch band or ring would act like a one turn loop
antenna, and get rather hot in the presence of large RF fields. It
was also a great way to get electrocuted if it touched anything with
live power. The watch also tended to catch on hooked shapes, which I
solved by replacing the pins that held the watch band with easily
breakable plastic pins. Lose the watch and maybe the rings.

What taught me paranoia was working in my father's lingerie factory
cutting thick layers of nylon fabric with various fiendish and
dangerous cutters. There was the rotary and reciprocating flavors:
http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/yamataycm50.htm
http://www.globaltextiles.com/html/images/upload/tradeleads/646/645809.jpg
The safety guard was a bad joke and was usually wired open as it was
almost unusable with the guard operational. In order to use these, I
had to push down on the fabric in front of the cutter. If I forget to
pay attention for a few milliseconds, I could lose a finger or two. I
was lucky, but I also saw a few of accidents. After that experience,
I tended to be very careful around power tools.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 07/01/2013 02:06 PM, Finch wrote:
last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was
working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing
protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw. I mean I'm
lucky that I didn't get hurt or anything but it's a darn shame about my
watch, because it was quite expensive too. It was a pilot watch that my
wife got me shortly after our wedding. Although it was 'a used watch'
(http://www.chrono24.com/en/watches/p...atches--39.htm
) it was still quite expensive. Anyway, the damage seems to be mainly on
the wristband and the glass lid, and yet, with no visible damage to the
internal works, it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Does anyone have
any advice what it could be, or what to do? My wife doesn't know yet

I ONCE BROKE A P.C. BEYOND REPAIR. I WAS AT SOMEBODY'S HOUSE AND THEY
TOLD ME THAT IF I DIDN'T TAKE THIS COMPAQ PC THAT WAS SITTING ON T HEIR
COUCH THEN THEY WERE GOING TO THROW IT AWAY SO I TOOK IT HOME AND I
OPENED IT UP AND I TOOK A HAMMER AND I STARTED SMASHING COMPONENTS AND I
SMASHED THE POWER SUPPLY AND OPENED IT UP AND STARTED SMASHING THE PSU
COMPONENTS. ONCE I SMASHED A CAPACITOR ON THE MOTHERBOARD WITH THE
HAMMER AND THE CAPACITOR STARTTED SMOKING.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hate to sound too obvious but why cant you just take it to a reputable watch repairer and have him replace the glass and the strap? Or are you underestimating the damage to the watch itself? If IWC needs to replace the case, it will cost a fortune to replace it. A crystal could cost as little as $15 if that is all it is: IWC will charge hundreds!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was
working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing
protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw.

Here's an experiment to try. Go to a butcher shop and find some
animal parts that will fit into your presumably kevlar or chainmail
gloves. A plastic bag over the meat will help with the cleanup. Now,
shove the glove into the running band saw blade. Did the glove do
anything to protect its contents? Probably very little. Repeat with
a table saw if you want blood all over the walls.

Next time, please use a pusher stick.

Are you sure this isn't just a clever way to advertise Pilot watches?
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was
working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing
protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw.

Here's an experiment to try. Go to a butcher shop and find some
animal parts that will fit into your presumably kevlar or chainmail
gloves. A plastic bag over the meat will help with the cleanup. Now,
shove the glove into the running band saw blade. Did the glove do
anything to protect its contents? Probably very little. Repeat with
a table saw if you want blood all over the walls.

Next time, please use a pusher stick.

Are you sure this isn't just a clever way to advertise Pilot watches?
Mikek

I wondered about that after seeing the original post. Anything with a URL
is suspect, and there was something about the original post that made me
think they really weren't looking for help.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:15:28 -0500, amdx wrote:

Are you sure this isn't just a clever way to advertise Pilot watches?
Mikek

The watch was "no longer working" after hitting the saw blade. That's
not very good advertising for Pilot watches. If it had been
advertising, the author would have said something like "I sawed the
watch in half and it still runs".

Hmmm... the posting was made from diybanter.com, which doesn't seem to
be responding.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 07/01/2013 7:06 AM, Finch wrote:
last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was
working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing
protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw. I mean I'm

___________________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please don't |
/ O O\__ feed |
/ \ the trolls |
/ \ \ |
/ _ \ \ ----------------------
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | __||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | /| | --|
| | |// |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ // |
/ _ \\ _ // | /
* / \_ /- | - | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

[...]

__________________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please feed all trolls |
/ O O\__ directly into the |
/ \ wood chipper. |
/ \ \ |
/ _ \ \ ----------------------
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | __||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | /| | --|
| | |// |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ // |
/ _ \\ _ // | /
* / \_ /- | - | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 17:21:40 -0700, (David
Platt) wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was
working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing
protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw.

Here's an experiment to try. Go to a butcher shop and find some
animal parts that will fit into your presumably kevlar or chainmail
gloves. A plastic bag over the meat will help with the cleanup. Now,
shove the glove into the running band saw blade. Did the glove do
anything to protect its contents? Probably very little. Repeat with
a table saw if you want blood all over the walls.

Next time, please use a pusher stick.

And watch out for long hair too:

http://tinyurl.com/lc2y57o

And shop coats with long sleeves also.

I still remember over 60 years ago being in a high school machine shop
class where we were all made to wear shop coats. I was smoothing some
shaft thing I'd made with a file, while it was spinning in a lathe when
the set screw on the lathe dog grabbed the sleeve of my shop coat. Lucky
for me it was a flimsy coat because the sleeve tore off and left my arm
undamaged.

Bull of The Woods must have heard about what happened to me. G:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/BW001.jpg

Why the Hell that instructor didn't at least tell us to roll our shop
coat sleeves way up when working around power tools I never did
understand, but it was a good warning and I've been extra careful ever
since. I can't really remember any time I've damaged my body beyond a
tiny scratch or cut since then, despite my years of using all sorts of
hand and power tools.

I like your style, Jeff! :-)

Thanks. When life and limb are on the line, I like to test the safety
gadgets. There was a video of someone sawing a butchers chainmail or
HexArmor glove in half with a band saw. I got the clue. Of course,
now I can't the video.

More interesting are the contact sensors and motor brake combinations
that claim to stop the cutter almost instantly.
http://www.sawstop.com
I haven't tested one myself, but the various videos showing it stop
instantly on a hot dog are impressive.

As for wearing a watch, I didn't know that people still wore watches.
Most use cell phones for the time.

I prefer an analog wris****ch to a digital one or what is on a
cellphone. The years have taken their toll on my "reading vision", and
without putting my reading glasses on I can't read the time on a digital
device worth a damn.

But, an analog watch is no problem for me, even in dim light. As long as
I can make out which way the hands are pointing I can tell what time it
is close enough for gummint work.

Besides, most of the time I (and I'm guessing many other folks) don't
care what time it is, they care what time it isn't.

i.e. I can judge from the angular space between an analog minute hand
relative to a time of interest how early or late I am, without having to
do a bit of mental math to get there.

Besides, my wris****ch serves me well as an occasional "forget me not"
reminder. I normally wear it on my non-dominant (left) wrist. If SWMBO
asks me to do something on the way home for example, I just switch it
over to my other wrist. Every time I go to see the time I invariably
look at the wrong wrist first, don't see my watch there and remember why
it was I moved it to the other wrist.

[...]

(Another) Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Can I repair these blasted screen corners (mine broke whileremoving - see picture)? Vinny P. Home Repair 13 August 5th 17 08:44 PM
Nixon urges Missourians to watch out for home repair con artists (The Springfield News-Leader) [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 24th 07 07:53 PM
Is my TS broke? RayV Woodworking 7 May 9th 06 02:49 AM
Watch out watch out theres a bodger about! tarquinlinbin UK diy 3 November 12th 05 07:25 PM
casio watch repair , where to get info ?? ar Electronics Repair 0 April 10th 05 07:54 PM