Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I repair these blasted screen corners (mine broke whileremoving - see picture)?

I was too rough with screen removal with the result being busted screen corners:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8777875.jpg

Other than glue, is this something that I can fix with a replacement part?

(I don't even know the googling term for these 'screen corners'?)

All I see is 'TRUEFRAME' stamped on the frame itself.

Suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 20, 12:04*pm, "Vinny P." wrote:
I was too rough with screen removal with the result being busted screen corners:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8777875.jpg

Other than glue, is this something that I can fix with a replacement part?

(I don't even know the googling term for these 'screen corners'?)

All I see is 'TRUEFRAME' stamped on the frame itself.

Suggestions?

you should be able to buy new ones at your local home repair emporium,
just take the screen in with you. Or if you have a good old school
hardware store they will probably put new screening in (which you'll
have to remove anyway, so you might as well) and replace the corners
for not much money. No problem! Project only requires a "spline
roller" and a utility knife if you want to try to DIY.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:04:51 +0000 (UTC), "Vinny P."
wrote:

I was too rough with screen removal with the result being busted screen corners:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8777875.jpg

Other than glue, is this something that I can fix with a replacement part?

Yes.

(I don't even know the googling term for these 'screen corners'?)

All I see is 'TRUEFRAME' stamped on the frame itself.

Suggestions?

Look at "Square Cut Corners" (link)

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/store/window-screen-corners-square-cut-corners-c-77_82_134.html

You have to know what size corner is to get the correct ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 20, 2012 9:04:51 AM UTC-7, Vinny P. wrote:
I was too rough with screen removal with the result being busted screen corners:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8777875.jpg

Other than glue, is this something that I can fix with a replacement part?

(I don't even know the googling term for these 'screen corners'?)

All I see is 'TRUEFRAME' stamped on the frame itself.

Suggestions?

No you weren’t too rough the sun was. Plastic and UV just don’t mix. Either put in the screens just the way they are or replace the whole thing. You can’t just replace or repair just the corners without removing the screen from the frame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:46:00 -0700, Oren wrote:

Look at "Square Cut Corners" (link)
http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/store/window-screen-corners-square-cut-corners-c-77_82_134.html
You have to know what size corner is to get the correct ones.

Ah, I see. I hadn't expected them to have those tongues on the end
(I thought it was just a corner).

I measure my plastic corners at 7/16" wide and they stick out of the
metal almost exactly 3/4".

So it looks like it might be these:
http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/s...x34-p-324.html

They're roughly about 50 cents each, so thanks for this wonderful link!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:50:27 -0700, recyclebinned wrote:

You cant just replace or repair just the corners
without removing the screen from the frame.

Hmmmm... I've never replaced a screen in the frame so I'm unaware of that.

I'll look for some re-screening DIYs to see what you're trying to tell me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 22:19:48 +0000 (UTC), "Vinny P."
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:50:27 -0700, recyclebinned wrote:

You can’t just replace or repair just the corners
without removing the screen from the frame.

Hmmmm... I've never replaced a screen in the frame so I'm unaware of that.

I'll look for some re-screening DIYs to see what you're trying to tell me.

Looked like your screens are solar screens. They are more difficult
to repair when you replace the corners / screens You don't need new
screens far as I can see.

Get the corners online and have a local shop install them and then the
current screen if no screen damage.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:44:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

Looked like your screens are solar screens.

Hmm... I had to look up what a 'solar' screen was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_screen

The descriptions I saw said solar screens go on the OUTSIDE of the window.
Mine are clearly on the inside.
I think they're 'just' regular cloth screens ... but I wouldn't really know how to tell otherwise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 04:30:34 +0000 (UTC), "Vinny P."
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:44:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

Looked like your screens are solar screens.

Hmm... I had to look up what a 'solar' screen was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_screen

The descriptions I saw said solar screens go on the OUTSIDE of the window.
Mine are clearly on the inside.
I think they're 'just' regular cloth screens ... but I wouldn't really know how to tell otherwise.

Okay. I must have mistaken them in the photo. But like I mentioned a
local shop can do the repairs for you after you have the correct
corners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vinny P." wrote in message
I was too rough with screen removal with the result being busted screen
corners:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8777875.jpg

Other than glue, is this something that I can fix with a replacement part?

(I don't even know the googling term for these 'screen corners'?)

All I see is 'TRUEFRAME' stamped on the frame itself.

Suggestions?

I have seen these corners at Home Depot, in fact I have used them. If the
corners there are the right size you will have to remove all the screenng to
install the new corners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:12:23 -0400, Cliff H wrote:

I have seen these corners at Home Depot, in fact I have used them. If the
corners there are the right size you will have to remove all the screenng to
install the new corners.

Drat. But it will be good experience.

I'll let the team know how it works out now that I know what to buy!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 01:48:21 -0700, Michael Lalonde wrote:

they repaired them for $11 each including the metal edging

Nowhere where I live is 'anything' 11 dollars!

I can't imagine any 'service' for less than 100 and even that would be the loss leader out here in the Republik of Kalifornia.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lil Lil is offline

replying to Vinny P., Lil wrote:
You can buy replace corners most hardware stores and Home Depot as well as
Wal-Mart carry them Just bring the broken corner with you to get the correct
size.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...le-705570-.htm