Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff_Wisnia Jeff_Wisnia is offline

Default Broke my watch beyond repair?

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 17:21:40 -0700, (David
Platt) wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

last week I was helping my brother with a woodworking project and was
working on some parts with the band saw, and although I was wearing
protective gloves my watch got severly damaged by the saw.

Here's an experiment to try. Go to a butcher shop and find some
animal parts that will fit into your presumably kevlar or chainmail
gloves. A plastic bag over the meat will help with the cleanup. Now,
shove the glove into the running band saw blade. Did the glove do
anything to protect its contents? Probably very little. Repeat with
a table saw if you want blood all over the walls.

Next time, please use a pusher stick.

And watch out for long hair too:

http://tinyurl.com/lc2y57o

And shop coats with long sleeves also.

I still remember over 60 years ago being in a high school machine shop
class where we were all made to wear shop coats. I was smoothing some
shaft thing I'd made with a file, while it was spinning in a lathe when
the set screw on the lathe dog grabbed the sleeve of my shop coat. Lucky
for me it was a flimsy coat because the sleeve tore off and left my arm
undamaged.

Bull of The Woods must have heard about what happened to me. G:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/BW001.jpg

Why the Hell that instructor didn't at least tell us to roll our shop
coat sleeves way up when working around power tools I never did
understand, but it was a good warning and I've been extra careful ever
since. I can't really remember any time I've damaged my body beyond a
tiny scratch or cut since then, despite my years of using all sorts of
hand and power tools.

I like your style, Jeff! :-)

Thanks. When life and limb are on the line, I like to test the safety
gadgets. There was a video of someone sawing a butchers chainmail or
HexArmor glove in half with a band saw. I got the clue. Of course,
now I can't the video.

More interesting are the contact sensors and motor brake combinations
that claim to stop the cutter almost instantly.
http://www.sawstop.com
I haven't tested one myself, but the various videos showing it stop
instantly on a hot dog are impressive.

As for wearing a watch, I didn't know that people still wore watches.
Most use cell phones for the time.

I prefer an analog wris****ch to a digital one or what is on a
cellphone. The years have taken their toll on my "reading vision", and
without putting my reading glasses on I can't read the time on a digital
device worth a damn.

But, an analog watch is no problem for me, even in dim light. As long as
I can make out which way the hands are pointing I can tell what time it
is close enough for gummint work.

Besides, most of the time I (and I'm guessing many other folks) don't
care what time it is, they care what time it isn't.

i.e. I can judge from the angular space between an analog minute hand
relative to a time of interest how early or late I am, without having to
do a bit of mental math to get there.

Besides, my wris****ch serves me well as an occasional "forget me not"
reminder. I normally wear it on my non-dominant (left) wrist. If SWMBO
asks me to do something on the way home for example, I just switch it
over to my other wrist. Every time I go to see the time I invariably
look at the wrong wrist first, don't see my watch there and remember why
it was I moved it to the other wrist.

30 years ago, I had problems with
watches and some rings. High RF fields and conductive loops didn't
mix well. The watch band or ring would act like a one turn loop
antenna, and get rather hot in the presence of large RF fields. It
was also a great way to get electrocuted if it touched anything with
live power. The watch also tended to catch on hooked shapes, which I
solved by replacing the pins that held the watch band with easily
breakable plastic pins. Lose the watch and maybe the rings.

What taught me paranoia was working in my father's lingerie factory
cutting thick layers of nylon fabric with various fiendish and
dangerous cutters. There was the rotary and reciprocating flavors:
http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/yamataycm50.htm
http://www.globaltextiles.com/html/images/upload/tradeleads/646/645809.jpg
The safety guard was a bad joke and was usually wired open as it was
almost unusable with the guard operational. In order to use these, I
had to push down on the fabric in front of the cutter. If I forget to
pay attention for a few milliseconds, I could lose a finger or two. I
was lucky, but I also saw a few of accidents. After that experience,
I tended to be very careful around power tools.

(Another) Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)