Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Platt David Platt is offline

Default Broke my watch beyond repair?

well I guess your right. I'll follow your advice and see how it turns
out. Fingers crossed it won't be too expensive...
But i definitely like the idea of the watch having saved my hand that
should be bust proof, or at least a nice test to see how much my wife
still loves me

Hate to say it, but I think you committed *two* safety violations
while doing that particular bit of power-tool operation. One of them
*may* have cancelled out the other, but both were putting you at risk.

The two violations:

(1) Do not wear jewelry while operating power tools.

(2) Do not wear gloves while operating power tools.

The reasons are two-fold:

(1) Both jewelry (rings and watches) and gloves can easily become
snagged in a moving power-tool blade. If this happens, your hand
will be pulled into the blade, and the chance of really severe
injury is extremely high.

Such a snagging is much less likely to occur with bare skin. You
can definitely get a nasty cut this way, but the blade will
probably shear right through the flesh that touches it
immediately... it's not going to grab your hand and pull it
further into the cutting zone.

(2) If you wear gloves, you're blocking your skin's sensory network
(skin nerves) from sensing the approach of the blade. Moving saw
blades, lathes, etc. create a current of air moving around the
blade (turbulent flow) and your bare skin can feel this... you'll
tend to flinch away from it by reflex action, reducing the risk
that your hand will encounter the blade. With a glove on, this
sensing and reflexive withdrawal will not happen... the first
indication you'll have that your glove has approached the blade is
in the actual moment of contact... at which point the glove will
probably snag and you'll find yourself with missing body bits.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but all the safety advice I've read and
seen says that you're safer off operating bandsaws, table saws,
etc. bare-handed. Leave the gloves, watches, and rings on the table
over there -----

You got lucky this time, I think, but you might not be so lucky
again.