Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Using mobile phone as an internet radio

Phil Hobbs wrote:
The logistics companies give you one
tracking number that works anywhere in the world, whereas the post
offices all generate confusion and duplicated numbers that make it very
hard to establish whether something got delivered, and if not, where it
went.

Registered mail uses one tracking number worldwide too. It's R, a letter,
a fixed length string of numbers and the country code. I can track a
letter or package sent registered mail from almost any country on
17track.net, several other similar sites, and once it is here on the
Israel postal site.

The problem with the US is that they send regular international mail
using a tracking number with an L at the begining, and those are
tracked as far as the first post office the sender drops them off at.

Occasionally they are tracked to a sorting center, but not always, and usually
not.

Several years ago the USPS restructured their rates for mail outside of the
US. They dropped surface mail, replacing it with an air mail system that
takes almost as long. I have had packages take 6 weeks to arrive here airmail
from the US.

They did a survey of prices of the courier services, and simply charge 1/2
of what the courier services do. If you want registered mail, they charge
another $12 or so for it.

Compare that to China which charges a few dollars to send a package, and
another dollar or so for registered mail. Or the UK (and the rest of the
EU) that charge about $5 for postage and registered mail.

US postal rates are also quite low, which may make it more difficult for
them to negotiate a revenue sharing agreement with higher cost
organizations.

No, they are rediculously high. Much more than an other postal service
for international mail, they also have a very high theft rate, and will
not insure their packages.

As for rates, everyone pays the same rate by international treaty. So the
eBay vendor in central China that pays a few dollars to send his package
is paying the Israel post office the same amount to deliver my mail as
the vendor from the US that pays $16 for the same size package.

The profit/cost above it goes to their national post offices.

It's like cellular roaming rates. I pay .73 NIS ($.20US) per minue to call
on my cell phone from all over europe back to Israel, or to the US.

Someone with a US company can easily pay $3 for the same call, BUT their
cellular company paid the local company the same amount as mine did for
taking the call and forwarding it over international long distance
lines.

Geoff.

"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play
chopsticks on the piano as a child and thinking you're a musician."
(sent to me by a friend)

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default AIWA stereo wont read CD's

Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

Stew Leonard's Espresso Roast, roasted fresh daily in sunny Yonkers.
Best beans I've ever come across, and worth the trip. Always a crowd
pleaser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an actual electronics repair
question: how do I go about getting my old AIWA CX-NA10 stereo system to
read CD's again? Is the lazer bad? It detects the cd and spins up but
wont play it.

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/06/2012 12:49 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a bargain to me. Very few other organizations would leave
money on the table like that. I sure wouldn't. Would you?

Compare that to China which charges a few dollars to send a package, and
another dollar or so for registered mail. Or the UK (and the rest of the
EU) that charge about $5 for postage and registered mail.

Plus they save on duty by claiming that everything is a gift. Such
generous folks, those Chinese.

US postal rates are also quite low, which may make it more difficult for
them to negotiate a revenue sharing agreement with higher cost
organizations.

No, they are rediculously high. Much more than an other postal service
for international mail, they also have a very high theft rate, and will
not insure their packages.

Dunno. I don't ship a lot of stuff overseas, so that's quite possible.
However, they're terrific domestically.

As for rates, everyone pays the same rate by international treaty. So the
eBay vendor in central China that pays a few dollars to send his package
is paying the Israel post office the same amount to deliver my mail as
the vendor from the US that pays $16 for the same size package.

The profit/cost above it goes to their national post offices.

What treaties are those, and do they guarantee the same rates for everyone?

It's like cellular roaming rates. I pay .73 NIS ($.20US) per minue to call
on my cell phone from all over europe back to Israel, or to the US.

Someone with a US company can easily pay $3 for the same call, BUT their
cellular company paid the local company the same amount as mine did for
taking the call and forwarding it over international long distance
lines.

Depends what's important to you, of course. Mostly when I'm in Europe I
do my calling over wifi using UMA, so it costs the same as at home. But
I only go there every couple of years.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

Stew Leonard's Espresso Roast, roasted fresh daily in sunny Yonkers.
Best beans I've ever come across, and worth the trip. Always a crowd
pleaser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an actual electronics repair
question: how do I go about getting my old AIWA CX-NA10 stereo system to
read CD's again? Is the lazer bad? It detects the cd and spins up but
wont play it.

You're no fun anymore.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

"George Herold" wrote in message
On Oct 5, 6:20 am, Roderick Stewart
wrote:
In article de99517e-e5e1-4f9d-91e0-

, George Herold wrote:
And that s it. Repeated on and off means that the thin region has a
higher average temperature than the thick part of the filament. It
evaporates faster and fails sooner.

Won't a thin region of a lamp filament have a higher temperature than
the rest of it all the time, not just when the lamp is turning on?

Rod.
--

: Hmm, sure, maybe... I really have no idea. But I can't remember ever
seeing a bulb fail after being on for a while. (I'm sure it must

It does, I have seen it quite often.

:They almost always go when you turn them on, from which I
conclude that the turn on is more 'stressful'.

Indeed, this is usually when filament bulbd fail.

: Say does Don Klipstein still lurk here? He may have some info on turn-
on failure.

http://donklipstein.com/

George H.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Hobbs" wrote in message
m...
SNIP

Aren't the filaments welded to the elements at the ends? It would seem
that
this would cause a narrowing. ISTR most filaments broken near the
supports,
which would be counter to the hotter-in-the-middle theory.

The feedthroughs are made of Dumet, which is basically 42Ni stainless with
a borated copper coating to bind to the glass. It's much lower-melting
than the tungsten, so spot-welding them together shouldn't affect the
tungsten much.

Just crimped over AFAIK. Should work fine - the softer metal will cold form
around the tungsten see

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8/Filament.jpg

I've never seen one burn out that wasn't energized.

They can, but no very often.

But you're the big-iron transmitter guy. Gotta run, I have a bunch of
guys coming to the lab in a few minutes, and I have to start the coffee
pot!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

Stew Leonard's Espresso Roast, roasted fresh daily in sunny Yonkers.
Best beans I've ever come across, and worth the trip. Always a crowd
pleaser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an actual electronics repair
question: how do I go about getting my old AIWA CX-NA10 stereo system to
read CD's again? Is the lazer bad? It detects the cd and spins up but
wont play it.

You're no fun anymore.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Uh huh. I fixed it somewhat by fiddling with the screw behind the back
cover. G00gle told me how. You lot are obviously quite useless.

nods

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com/
www.friendsofanimals.org |www.snuhwolf.9f.com|
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Hobbs wrote:
Sounds like a bargain to me. Very few other organizations would leave
money on the table like that. I sure wouldn't. Would you?

It depends upon wat you consider a fair price and what you want people to do.
If you want people from the US to NOT export cheap items then you keep your
postal rates high.

If you want everyone to have a small business selling items over the internet
then you keep your postal prices low.

Plus they save on duty by claiming that everything is a gift. Such
generous folks, those Chinese.

The only gift is to the customs officers receiving the packages. If it is
a gift and the price is low, then they can pass it without inspection, and
if it is inspected just look for the diamonds, guns, drugs, etc hidden
in it.

For example, just ordered about several each of 10 different items
(around 40 items in all), from a vendor in Hong Kong. If he sent it to a
US address and lists it as a gift, the US customs can do a quick inspection
if they do any at all.

If he declares each item, and they inspect the package, they have to figure
out which is which, measure and weigh them and ascertain that they are
what is claimed, and the weight matches.

In this case most of the items were some some sort of USB fob, so good luck.

What treaties are those, and do they guarantee the same rates for everyone?

They are international postal treaties and the guarantee the same rates
between signatories. Or in plain English, each country pays the other
the same rates, but are free to charge their internal customers anything
they want.

Depends what's important to you, of course. Mostly when I'm in Europe I
do my calling over wifi using UMA, so it costs the same as at home. But
I only go there every couple of years.

Assuming you can find WiFi. Some places think free wifi is a right, others
charge you high rates for it.

Geoff.

"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play
chopsticks on the piano as a child and thinking you're a musician."
(sent to me by a friend)

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/06/2012 03:34 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
Sounds like a bargain to me. Very few other organizations would leave
money on the table like that. I sure wouldn't. Would you?

It depends upon wat you consider a fair price and what you want people to do.
If you want people from the US to NOT export cheap items then you keep your
postal rates high.

A fair price is what a willing buyer will pay in a competitive market.
If you were a logistics company, or for that matter a unionized
proletarian, you charge what the traffic will bear. That works as long
as there's competition--the more the better in general. You can't keep
jacking up the price if your customers can just go down the street to
your competitor.

If you want everyone to have a small business selling items over the internet
then you keep your postal prices low.

If you want to have economic efficiency, you avoid state enterprises and
subsidies except where there's a compelling interest at stake--for
instance the French pay more for food because they in effect subsidize
small farmers, in order to keep the life of rural France alive. I'm
quite fond of rural France, so I can understand their point.

Postal services? Well, sure, folks in the boonies need to be able to
send in their tax returns.

Plus they save on duty by claiming that everything is a gift. Such
generous folks, those Chinese.

The only gift is to the customs officers receiving the packages. If it is
a gift and the price is low, then they can pass it without inspection, and
if it is inspected just look for the diamonds, guns, drugs, etc hidden
in it.

For example, just ordered about several each of 10 different items
(around 40 items in all), from a vendor in Hong Kong. If he sent it to a
US address and lists it as a gift, the US customs can do a quick inspection
if they do any at all.

If he declares each item, and they inspect the package, they have to figure
out which is which, measure and weigh them and ascertain that they are
what is claimed, and the weight matches.

They say it's a gift regardless of how much it costs.

In this case most of the items were some some sort of USB fob, so good luck.

What treaties are those, and do they guarantee the same rates for everyone?

They are international postal treaties and the guarantee the same rates
between signatories. Or in plain English, each country pays the other
the same rates, but are free to charge their internal customers anything
they want.

Do you have a link? I'd be interested to have a look.

Depends what's important to you, of course. Mostly when I'm in Europe I
do my calling over wifi using UMA, so it costs the same as at home. But
I only go there every couple of years.

Assuming you can find WiFi. Some places think free wifi is a right, others
charge you high rates for it.

Generally the places I've stayed have had free or at least cheap wifi.
That's in Flanders, Artois, and Florence, most recently. And anyway,
since I'm on vacation when I go there, I don't really want to be in
constant touch with home!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Phil Hobbs wrote:
The Americans do seem generally to be used to sending a lot by courier
when we would just put in the post. Tending to happen in the UK also
even though the Royal Mail / Parcelforce often give a better service
and of course do not charge extra to send further. There has been a
big campaign in the North of Scotland about companies charging extra
for many postcode areas.

That's mostly a business etiquette thing, I think. Sending somebody a
bunch of business documents in the snail mail sort of says that their
input isn't that urgent. Letter mail here is also very secure IME.

Fine if 'they' want to do this and pay for it. My complaint is buying
goods from the US where I'm paying the P&P and not having the choice of a
reasonably priced service. Why would I want to pay in some cases more than
the value of the goods for postage, if I'm in no rush to receive them?

Have you ever tried to mail a thousand+ packages a week? A local non
profit group had a post office refuse their business, because of the
volume. they had to get a politician involved, since USPS is the only
way they are allowed to ship the gifts to our troops. Over $100,000 a
year in postal fees, and were told to go away. By law, they can't ship
a box full of stuff to a base. Each package requires a separate customs
form to be filled out by hand.

UPS and other shippers park an empty semi trailer at the dock of
large customers, and haul it directly to the hub. That entire process
can be automated.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 13:29:23 -0600, §ñühwö£f
wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

Stew Leonard's Espresso Roast, roasted fresh daily in sunny Yonkers.
Best beans I've ever come across, and worth the trip. Always a crowd
pleaser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an actual electronics repair
question: how do I go about getting my old AIWA CX-NA10 stereo system to
read CD's again? Is the lazer bad? It detects the cd and spins up but
wont play it.

You're no fun anymore.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Uh huh. I fixed it somewhat by fiddling with the screw behind the back
cover. G00gle told me how. You lot are obviously quite useless.

nods

---
Hardly surprising, since your query would have more appropriately been
directed to sci.electronics.repair.

--
JF
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

§ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:

On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:

[......]

Stew Leonard's Espresso Roast, roasted fresh daily in sunny Yonkers.
Best beans I've ever come across, and worth the trip. Always a crowd
pleaser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an actual electronics repair
question: how do I go about getting my old AIWA CX-NA10 stereo system to
read CD's again? Is the lazer bad? It detects the cd and spins up but
wont play it.

You're no fun anymore.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Uh huh. I fixed it somewhat by fiddling with the screw behind the back
cover. G00gle told me how. You lot are obviously quite useless.

nods

Yes we are. Hope to see you soon.

Jamie

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:

Plus they save on duty by claiming that everything is a gift. Such
generous folks, those Chinese.

The only gift is to the customs officers receiving the packages. If it is
a gift and the price is low, then they can pass it without inspection, and
if it is inspected just look for the diamonds, guns, drugs, etc hidden
in it.

For import to the UK, declaring it as a gift increases the value that is
allowed before VAT and duty is imposed, so, when used for items of low
value, but more than £15 (at the moment) including postage, it defrauds
the government of revenue. These are not, I believe free allowances,
but rather values below which it is considered not worth recovering
duty. With the Royal Mail, it also triggers a customs processing charge.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
It depends upon wat you consider a fair price and what you want people
to do. If you want people from the US to NOT export cheap items then you
keep your postal rates high.

That was the point I was trying to make. And it applies to not so cheap
items too.

--
*i souport publik edekashun.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On 2012-10-05, George Herold wrote:

I've no problem with your marquee story. Sometimes folk-tales about
rocks falling from the sky are correct.
The data point I offer to Phil is that bulbs fail when you turn them
on. I see no reason why that can't be 'played backwards'. There most
be some GE, Philips, (other) report that documents turn on failure.

I recall a few yeas back someone had long-life bulbs with an NTC
series resistor built into the base.
Old toob tellys always had an NTC in series with the filament supply.

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On 2012-10-05, Roderick Stewart wrote:
In article de99517e-e5e1-4f9d-91e0-
, George Herold wrote:
And thatÂ’s it. Repeated on and off means that the thin region has a
higher average temperature than the thick part of the filament. It
evaporates faster and fails sooner.

Won't a thin region of a lamp filament have a higher temperature than
the rest of it all the time, not just when the lamp is turning on?

It will, but due to the thermal coefficient of resistance of tungsten
(most other metals are similar) the heating will be even greater when the
filament heats from cold. The hot spot gains resistance faster, so it
drops a greater voltage while the rest of the filament is still cold.

disclaimer: figures made up to illustrate the point

assume a constant-voltage supply compute the power disipated by he
thin spot (middle resistor) in each case

cold ----[100]---[1]---[100]---

hot ----[1000]-[12]-[1000]----

during warm-up thin spot warms up fastest.

start ---[200]---[3]---[200]---

yeah, it would be a good project for the mythbusters, I'd love to see
a slow motion film of an incandescent lamp failing at turn-on.
but could they affor do dedicate their fast camera for long enough.

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On 2012-10-06, MB wrote:

The Americans do seem generally to be used to sending a lot by courier
when we would just put in the post. Tending to happen in the UK also
even though the Royal Mail / Parcelforce often give a better service and
of course do not charge extra to send further. There has been a big
campaign in the North of Scotland about companies charging extra for
many postcode areas.

Digi-Key sent me (in NZ) a postcard by royal mail (from UK) the other day.
if it's still in the waste bassket on monday it'll check to see if it's a
preferred spelling thing (eg: "catalog" vs "catalogue") or perhaps it was
just cheaper to do it that way.

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Jasen Betts wrote:

Old toob tellys always had an NTC in series with the filament supply.

Not in the US.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On 2012-10-06, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:

Several years ago the USPS restructured their rates for mail outside of the
US. They dropped surface mail, replacing it with an air mail system that
takes almost as long. I have had packages take 6 weeks to arrive here airmail
from the US.

They did a survey of prices of the courier services, and simply charge 1/2
of what the courier services do. If you want registered mail, they charge
another $12 or so for it.

Compare that to China which charges a few dollars to send a package, and
another dollar or so for registered mail. Or the UK (and the rest of the
EU) that charge about $5 for postage and registered mail.

Chinas international mail is heavily subsided. hearsay I've heard that
it's so heavilty subsidised that in some cases they pay the sender
/hearsay. while doing the same in the USA would probably help small
exporters (and therefore the balance of payments) I can't see the
republican party getting behind subsidising a "state run monopoly".

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

[...]

Gee, good thing this thread was never x-posted there, huh?

aside

Are all the regs of s.e.b this ****ing retarded?

0_o

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Jasen Betts wrote:
Chinas international mail is heavily subsided. hearsay I've heard that
it's so heavilty subsidised that in some cases they pay the sender
/hearsay. while doing the same in the USA would probably help small
exporters (and therefore the balance of payments) I can't see the
republican party getting behind subsidising a "state run monopoly".

Isn't the USPS already a state run monopoly which is subsidised?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Postal_Service

Note that it says that the USPS has not DIRECTLY received taxpayer funds
since the 1980's.

Geoff.

"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play
chopsticks on the piano as a child and thinking you're a musician."
(sent to me by a friend)

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

[...]

Since you chose to use 'this' instead of 'that', you've demonstrated
that you _are_ grammatically challenged, but not yet knowing the exact
level of your retardation, it's impossible to answer your question.

http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/grammar/this_that.htm

--
JF
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

[...]

Yeah, we're not doing a thing. You can find somebody else's leg to hump.

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

[...]

Yeah, we're not doing a thing.

---
Well, you're making mistakes and I'm correcting them, so we're both
"doing a thing" and, errorwise, so far you're batting 1000.
---

You can find somebody else's leg to hump.

---
You need to study up on anatomy.

--
JF

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On 6 Oct 2012 23:31:51 GMT, Jasen Betts wrote:

yeah, it would be a good project for the mythbusters, I'd love to see
a slow motion film of an incandescent lamp failing at turn-on.
but could they affor do dedicate their fast camera for long enough.

Due to the apparently lack of data and my curiosity, I was thinking of
throwing together a crude experiment. Two lamp bases, two 40 watt
clear envelope incandescent lamps, two SSS (solid state switches), and
some kind of pulse generator. 30 seconds on should be enough to get
the filament hot enough for sublimation. 30 seconds off should be
enough for it to cool down for a cold start (I need to check this with
an IR thermometer).

However, I have no intention of running this test for 1000+ hours.
Instead, an accelerated life test can be done with higher than normal
voltages.
http://www.welchallyn.com/documents/Lighting/OEM_Halogen_Lighting/MC3544HPX_Catalog_2_11_09.pdf
For halogen bulbs, they use:
Life = (Vdesign / Vapplied)^12.0 * Life at design voltage
For a 1000 hr lamp running at 120% of the rated voltage, the life
might be:
life = (1/1.2)^12 * 1000 = 112 hrs
which is more reasonable for my tinkering and for Mythbusters. With
power cycling, the life will be even less. I should have a Variac
somewhere in my junk pile.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 8, 12:00*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Hi SEB. Well I sent an email to Don klipstein on this topic. And
have permission to copy his reply.

from Don K. below

My apologies - I have been off Usenet for a little over a year.

Hi Don, I was wondering (out loud) if you still lurk on the
sci.electronics.basic usernet forum?
(So I figured I'd just drop you an email.)

We have a question about the aging of incandescent bulbs from being
turned on and off. You seem like quite a lamp expert and I was
wondering if you've ever come across any real data on the subject.

As for real data on effect of switching causing wear on
incandescents:

I know some data.

1: It is true that incandescents often failon cold starts. However,
know a mechanism where an aging incandescent becomes unable to
survive
a cold start a little before it becomes unable to survive continuous
operation.

I explain this in: http://donklipstein.com/bulb1.html#how
And: http://donklipstein.com/bulb1.html#wbt

2: In incandescent traffic signals, the bulbs for yellow last longer
than
for red and green. So even after being switched on and off about a
million times, on-time is still a significant factor in life
expectancy.

However, traffic signal bulbs have a more vibration-resistant
filament
than standard incandescents.

3: Flashing and chasing marquee lights used to be incandescent until
cold cathode CFLs became economically available. Cold cathode CFLs
are special CFLs that are dimmable and blinkable, and flashing them
does not detract from their life. However, their efficiency is less
than that of hot cathode CFLs. Some marquees still use
incandescents.

4: I did an experiment to check for voltage drop in one of those
now-hard-to-get thermistor-type life-extending "buttons" to attach
to the tip of the base of an incandescent. The device claimed to
double the life of the bulb. I found enough voltage drop to account
for 50-60% life extension. Light output was reduced 13%, and power
consumption of the combo of the bulb and the thermistor was only
2.05%
less than that of a bulb connected directly to the line.

5: In my experience, incandescent holiday lights that blink last
longer
than those that don't. However, most of my experience is with low
voltage bulbs whose short filaments are probably sturdier.

6: Some incandescents make an audible "ping" when switched on.
However,
deflection of the filament does not necessarily strain the filament
past its "endurance limit" - the threshold of causing metal fatigue.

7: Some railroad crossing signals have a set-up where bulbs have a
resistor added in series with them for the first half second or so
that they are on. However, this may be done because of how serious
the problem is widely said to be, and how serious it actually is
appears
to me to be much less.

8: One of my friends had a bathroom fixture with a high wattage bulb
that
was constantly run dimmed by a dimmer. He experienced little gain
in
life extension. Since his bulbs significantly audibly buzzed, I
suspect
his filaments resonated at the power line frequency or one of the
power
line frequency's lower harmonics.

9: My mother had some incandescent nightlights that had diodes in
them
to significantly dim the bulbs - which should have made the bulbs
last
for decades. However, they did not.
One thing I noticed: These 4-watt bulbs had extremely thin
filaments,
and with a diode and therefore being off half the time 60 times a
second, their temperature varied greatly up and down 60 times a
second.
I could see that from rolling my eyes up-and-down while looking at
them.
Maybe the filaments at times resonated at the power line frequency
or
a lower harmonic thereof. That could easily produce sound too weak
hear from more than a couple inches away, because such low wattage
120V
incandescents have a vacuum rather than a gas fill.

Or, maybe those bulbs do not do well with DC due to high voltage,
vacuum, and the ends of the filament being close to each other.
Please see: http://donklipstein.com/bulb1.html#dc

======================

Overall, I am seeing generally that cold starts are not nearly as
bad as many say they are, but in a few bulbs they can be. The data
appears to me to be majority in favor of "little to generally no
problem from cold starts", but it is incomplete.

I would also suggest reading:

http://donklipstein.com/ltrouble.html#i

====================

Hope this helps!

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

[...]

Sod off, aNaL cAkEs.

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/06/2012 12:51 PM, §ñühwö£f wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

[...]

So, not being at all clever, you missed the hint?

--
JF
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 10:51:47 -0600, §ñühwö£f
wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

Stew Leonard's Espresso Roast, roasted fresh daily in sunny Yonkers.
Best beans I've ever come across, and worth the trip. Always a crowd
pleaser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an actual electronics repair
question: how do I go about getting my old AIWA CX-NA10 stereo system to
read CD's again? Is the lazer bad? It detects the cd and spins up but
wont play it.

Have you taken it apart yet? Try cleaning the lens. In a dirty,
smoky or wet environment the lenses can become coated with stuff.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

default wrote:
On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 10:51:47 -0600, §ñühwö£f
wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

Stew Leonard's Espresso Roast, roasted fresh daily in sunny Yonkers.
Best beans I've ever come across, and worth the trip. Always a crowd
pleaser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an actual electronics repair
question: how do I go about getting my old AIWA CX-NA10 stereo system to
read CD's again? Is the lazer bad? It detects the cd and spins up but
wont play it.

Have you taken it apart yet? Try cleaning the lens. In a dirty,
smoky or wet environment the lenses can become coated with stuff.

I had it "working" a little after all that and an adjustment to the
potentiometer on the back of the lazer as instructed. However it would
only read one specific CD and scratched some CD's when it went thru its
ejection cycle (disks would not spin down before ejection!) so I removed
the tray and wont use it anymore. Further research indicated AIWA was
part of a class action lawsuit in the 90's due to their CD players being
crap. They're out of business now anyway. Good riddance.

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 06:27:05 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
wrote:

Hi SEB. Well I sent an email to Don klipstein on this topic. And
have permission to copy his reply.
from Don K. below

2: In incandescent traffic signals, the bulbs for yellow last
longer than for red and green. So even after being switched on
and off about a million times, on-time is still a significant
factor in life expectancy.

That means for my proposed test comparing a 50% duty cycle flashing
light bulb, with one that is on continuously, the continuous light
bulb will burn out first. That's the opposite of what I saw with the
theater marquee bulbs. Now, I'm really tempted to run the experiment.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hi SEB. Well I sent an email to Don klipstein on this topic. And
have permission to copy his reply.
from Don K. below

2: In incandescent traffic signals, the bulbs for yellow last
longer than for red and green. So even after being switched on
and off about a million times, on-time is still a significant
factor in life expectancy.

That means for my proposed test comparing a 50% duty cycle flashing
light bulb, with one that is on continuously, the continuous light
bulb will burn out first. That's the opposite of what I saw with the
theater marquee bulbs. Now, I'm really tempted to run the experiment.

Was there any vibration in that theater marquee?
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

"§ñühwö£f" wrote in message
default wrote:
On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 10:51:47 -0600, §ñühwö£f
wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

[...]

Aiwa is still around as I understand it. They're owned by Sony.
The biggest problem with their 3-cd models was that so much dust would get
into the lasers that even cleaning eventually would not be enough and the
laser would need to be replaced.
By the way, the lasers were made by Sony, the same pickups used by many
manufacturers at the time.

Worked on many of them, the customers were mostly satisfied.

Later models had sliding covers that covered up the laser lens when not
playing. This helped but of course was not a perfect solution.

Mark Z.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Hi SEB. *Well I sent an email to Don klipstein on this topic. *And
have permission to copy his reply.
from Don K. below
2: *In incandescent traffic signals, the bulbs for yellow last
longer than for red and green. *So even after being switched on
and off about a million times, on-time is still a significant
factor in life expectancy.

That means for my proposed test comparing a 50% duty cycle flashing
light bulb, with one that is on continuously, the continuous light
bulb will burn out first. *That's the opposite of what I saw with the
theater marquee bulbs. *Now, I'm really tempted to run the experiment.

Experiments can be very useful.
I'd worry most about how you turn on the bulbs.
Maybe just some simple relays?

1,000 hours isn't all that long. (or are you going to over-voltage
the bulbs?)
I guess I'd want at least 10 bulbs in each group. Say 60 watts.....
1200 kW-hrs.

That's looking like more money than I'd want to spend on the
electricity.

George H.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann * * AE6KS * *831-336-2558

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hi SEB. Well I sent an email to Don klipstein on this topic. And
have permission to copy his reply.
from Don K. below

2: In incandescent traffic signals, the bulbs for yellow last
longer than for red and green. So even after being switched on
and off about a million times, on-time is still a significant
factor in life expectancy.

That means for my proposed test comparing a 50% duty cycle flashing
light bulb, with one that is on continuously, the continuous light
bulb will burn out first. That's the opposite of what I saw with the
theater marquee bulbs. Now, I'm really tempted to run the experiment.

Was there any vibration in that theater marquee?

That's a good point. Were there any bulbs continuously lit on the marquee to
use as a reference?
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Mark Zacharias wrote:
"§ñühwö£f" wrote in message
default wrote:
On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 10:51:47 -0600, §ñühwö£f
wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

[...]

I haven't seen any new kit from them in any stores for years. Sony
bought them out and killed it off:

"Since 2004, however, Sony seemingly began rolling back its support for
the Aiwa brand, and by 2005 Aiwa products remained on sale in only
selected territories around the globe. In 2006, Aiwa products were
discontinued and no longer sold in the market.

As of September 2011, the Aiwa website still existed to provide
customer-support telephone numbers for some territories and regions, but
it also contained many broken links and blank pages. In other regions,
such as Europe, it redirected to a page on the Sony website stating that
the Aiwa website had closed. The last apparent update to the website was
in June 2008.[1]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiwa

The biggest problem with their 3-cd models was that so much dust would
get into the lasers that even cleaning eventually would not be enough
and the laser would need to be replaced.
By the way, the lasers were made by Sony, the same pickups used by many
manufacturers at the time.

Wanna buy a used laser? Heh...its a 1997.

Worked on many of them, the customers were mostly satisfied.

Later models had sliding covers that covered up the laser lens when not
playing. This helped but of course was not a perfect solution.

Mark Z.

We have another one, made in 2001, the tape decks on that one dont work.
So, to recap: we have two units from failed electronics maker AIWA, and
both have non-working components. My conclusion: AIWA was rightly killed
off by Sony since its quality sucked balls.

Oh, but we also have a SHARP single CD unit from 1991, it works *perfectly*.

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hi SEB. Well I sent an email to Don klipstein on this topic. And
have permission to copy his reply.
from Don K. below

2: In incandescent traffic signals, the bulbs for yellow last
longer than for red and green. So even after being switched on
and off about a million times, on-time is still a significant
factor in life expectancy.

That means for my proposed test comparing a 50% duty cycle flashing
light bulb, with one that is on continuously, the continuous light
bulb will burn out first. That's the opposite of what I saw with the
theater marquee bulbs. Now, I'm really tempted to run the experiment.

Was there any vibration in that theater marquee?

Nope unless you count the movie audio pumped in from the theater
section as vibration.

The lobby and foyer lights were probably on a different circuit from
the marquee lights, which may have had different voltages, glitches,
surges, etc. I suspect that there were also some switching
transcients on the marquee side. That was 45 years ago, and I didn't
think to measure any of that. I just kept replacing light bulbs.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have a yet another guess(tm). I think the failures may have been
due to heating.

The lobby and foyer lights were mounted on the ceiling, pointing down.
One would think that there would be plenty of hot air accumulating
near the ceiling, but that wasn't the case. That's where the fan
ducts were located which helped to cool the lights. Few of those
lights ever burned out.

The marquee lamps were mounted on a vertical structure, with the lamps
pointed horizontally. I recall about 15-20 rows of lights. The
backing was some type of sheet metal and plywood sandwich possibly to
prevent the heat from the lights from setting fire to the building.
Near the top was about a 2ft overhang, which was mostly decorative,
but was also was used to hang flags and announcements. The rising hot
air from the lower lamps would accumulate under the overhand and
thoroughly heat the top rows of lights. Unfortunately, I didn't
notice which rows required the most lamp replacements.

One evening, I was volunteered to replace two lamps that had burned
out when the marquee was run for some occasion. I recall that the
sheet metal or plywood backing was warm near the bottom, but rather
hot near the top. This was about 10 minutes after the marquee was
turned off so that I could replace the bulbs. (That was also with a
line of people standing under the ladder, which was not very safe).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
The lobby and foyer lights were mounted on the ceiling, pointing down.
One would think that there would be plenty of hot air accumulating
near the ceiling, but that wasn't the case. That's where the fan
ducts were located which helped to cool the lights. Few of those
lights ever burned out.

The marquee lamps were mounted on a vertical structure, with the lamps
pointed horizontally.

Vertical mounting for a GLS lamp seems to give a better life than other
orientations. A rough service type may have had a better life in this
application.

--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*