Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default AIWA stereo wont read CD's

"§ñühwö£f" wrote in message
default wrote:
On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 10:51:47 -0600, §ñühwö£f
wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

Stew Leonard's Espresso Roast, roasted fresh daily in sunny Yonkers.
Best beans I've ever come across, and worth the trip. Always a crowd
pleaser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an actual electronics repair
question: how do I go about getting my old AIWA CX-NA10 stereo system to
read CD's again? Is the lazer bad? It detects the cd and spins up but
wont play it.

Have you taken it apart yet? Try cleaning the lens. In a dirty,
smoky or wet environment the lenses can become coated with stuff.

I had it "working" a little after all that and an adjustment to the
potentiometer on the back of the lazer as instructed. However it would
only read one specific CD and scratched some CD's when it went thru its
ejection cycle (disks would not spin down before ejection!) so I removed
the tray and wont use it anymore. Further research indicated AIWA was part
of a class action lawsuit in the 90's due to their CD players being crap.
They're out of business now anyway. Good riddance.

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org

Aiwa is still around as I understand it. They're owned by Sony.
The biggest problem with their 3-cd models was that so much dust would get
into the lasers that even cleaning eventually would not be enough and the
laser would need to be replaced.
By the way, the lasers were made by Sony, the same pickups used by many
manufacturers at the time.

Worked on many of them, the customers were mostly satisfied.

Later models had sliding covers that covered up the laser lens when not
playing. This helped but of course was not a perfect solution.

Mark Z.