Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default RCA P60928 PTK195 Chassis no power

I had a power surge that killed my TV and microwave. PTK 195 chassis.
I get no picture no sound no attempt to power on. No clicking.
Nothing. Main fuse is ok power is ok just past the fuse. Any ideas.
Thanks Ted
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 07:55:40 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I had a power surge that killed my TV and microwave. PTK 195 chassis.
I get no picture no sound no attempt to power on. No clicking.
Nothing. Main fuse is ok power is ok just past the fuse. Any ideas.
Thanks Ted

Several.
1. I was not aware anyone had sold a combination TV and microwave.
2. Giving the chassis number properly assists in searching. (it is the
PTK195 chassis, not the PTK 195).
3. The Photofact album is available at http://elektrotanya.com

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 1, 10:55*am, " wrote:
I had a power surge that killed my TV and microwave. PTK 195 chassis.
I get no picture no sound no attempt to power on. No clicking.
Nothing. Main fuse is ok power is ok just past the fuse. Any ideas.
Thanks Ted

The 195 is not a modular chassis, it is expected that anyone who
attempts repair can troubleshoot to the component level, and deal with
surface mounted devices. That said, the 195 is extraordinarily
reliable, earlier versions needing a flyback perhaps, but a long lived
and excellent performing analog TV.

Start by checking for 5 volts at the IR receiver on top of the light
box. If that's there, you have a system control problem, maybe the
micro reset circuit, corrupted eeprom, etc. If no 5v exists, the main
smps is out. Watch out, this supply holds a vicious charge for a long
time.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks John. I have no problem going to component level. I do a lot of
work on arcade game monitors. I have not realy worked on projections.
I do not know where some of the components are located on the
projection. You are correct about the flyback as I have replaced that
years ago otherwise no other problems with the tv. Thanks that gives
me a good starting point. Ted

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

OK looks like the 5 volts is good. Where is the micro reset circut
located. Thanks Ted
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 05:52:08 -0700, wrote:

OK looks like the 5 volts is good. Where is the micro reset circut
located. Thanks Ted

The micro/eeprom reset is a service function.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ok so how do I get into service mode if I cant power on the set. Is
there a service switch on the pcb somewhere. Thanks Ted
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 2, 8:52*am, " wrote:
OK looks like the 5 volts is good. Where is the micro reset circut
located. Thanks Ted

You said there is no power on attempt (no clicking ). The 195 is very
quiet when attempting a start as it has no relays. In a quiet room,
start the TV from the remote listening carefully in the back of the
TV. If you hear anything (chirp), the system control is okay, at
least the basic stuff. If it's truly dead, check the micro reset
voltage: On the main micro U13101, check pin 51 for 5 volts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

OK I have 5 volts on pin 51. I know its very quite but I dont hear
anything at all. Are you thinking U13101 may be bad? Thanks Ted
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

OK I have even put an amp meter on the line comming in and I am
getting around 300 milli amps when pluged in but no change at all when
I hit the remote. I get a slight chirp when I first plug it in but no
change again with the remote. Thanks Ted
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 2, 7:05*pm, " wrote:
OK I have even put an amp meter on the line comming in and *I am
getting around 300 milli amps when pluged in but no change at all when
I hit the remote. I get a slight chirp when I first plug it in but no
change again with the remote. Thanks Ted

It's unlikely the micro is bad unless you caught some lightning. Of
the two, the eeprom is more likely to have failed, but are uncommon in
the 195. If the eeprom is bad, you will need to confirm it with a
scope. If the Vcc and reset voltages are good at the micro, but
there is no response from the system control, there are a couple of
possibilities. The easy one is to unplug the front panel connector
from the top of the light box where the IR is located. If the TV
powers up from the remote, you've got bad tact switches on the front
control board. You can either leave it unplugged, or replace all the
tacts. If it doesn't respond, get a bright light and look for any
evidence of coolant leakage around the micro, eeprom, and LV
regulators. If you have coolant leakage in any area, it will need to
be removed (time consuming).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

OK John Thank you very much. Last question. Where can I get a new set
of switches. I never would have thought it would have been that easy.
Thanks again. Ted
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for nothing plainbill. I never stated it was a combo microwave
tv. I stated both went so that you would know it was probably a
problem from an electric surge being that two thing went at the same
time. I did give the chassis number and the model of the tv I cant
help it if you cant read. The link you sent me was not in english and
would not convert to english so that was useless. Whos the doofus now.
Thanks everyone else for your help. Ted

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 09:23:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

OK John Thank you very much. Last question. Where can I get a new set
of switches. I never would have thought it would have been that easy.
Thanks again. Ted

Did we miss something? He suggested a test, and you are saying you
want to replace switches... So you tested and the switch module was
bad?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John suggested pulling the wires from the ir board that go to the
front panel on/off chnl swithches and see if the remote would turn on
the tv. That fixed it. One of the switches on the front panel must be
stuck on. Ted
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

John suggested pulling the wires from the ir board that go to the
front panel on/off chnl swithches and see if the remote would turn on
the tv. That fixed it. One of the switches on the front panel must be
stuck on. Ted

Then pull out the panel and test the switches. There aren't that
many different types of tactical switches. All you need to do is match
the footprint & height in most cases. There are a lot of places to buy
new ones, or if you're a cheapskate you can probably find on in an old
computer mouse or junk VCR/ DVD player that will fit.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-kws/tactile-switch

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=101-0164-EVvirtualkey12040000virtualkey101-0164-EV

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-10735&CAWELAID=220320974

Each of these companies carry different styles.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 3, 9:37*pm, " wrote:
John suggested pulling the wires from the ir board that go to the
front panel on/off chnl swithches and see if the remote would turn on
the tv. That fixed it. One of the switches on the front panel must be
stuck on. Ted

If the TV now powes up with the FPA disconnected, you can continue to
run it that way with no problem, or you can replace the tacts:

Acme has what you need. Go to their website and search ACME-302. I
guess you can't post URLs, but try Acme(dash)sales(dot)net

This is the correct tact for that series, change all of them (probably
six).

The 195 was made from about 1997 to 2002, so there are different ways
of getting to the front panel assy (assuming you don't already have it
out), but all are done from the front of the TV. The process involves
removing the front speaker grille, and snapping the control panel out
by releasing the plastic fingers that locate it to the front grille.
There are no screws or other fasteners involved. After removing the
old tacts, clean the pc under the tacts with a cleaner before
installing the new ones.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 18:37:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

John suggested pulling the wires from the ir board that go to the
front panel on/off chnl swithches and see if the remote would turn on
the tv. That fixed it. One of the switches on the front panel must be
stuck on. Ted

Ah, I'd missed the fact you'd done that diagnostic. I wonder if you
can disassemble and clean the switch module?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks again John. Let me know if you ever need a hand with an arcade
game. Ted
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 10:17:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Thanks for nothing plainbill. I never stated it was a combo microwave
tv. I stated both went so that you would know it was probably a
problem from an electric surge being that two thing went at the same
time. I did give the chassis number and the model of the tv I cant
help it if you cant read. The link you sent me was not in english and
would not convert to english so that was useless. Whos the doofus now.
Thanks everyone else for your help. Ted

My point exactly. You claimed it was a PTK 195 chassis, of course, it
actually is a PTK195. In spite of that bit of misinformation, I was
able to identify the source for the Photofact manuals.

As for the site being in Polish, of course it is; it's located in
Poland. However, anyone with s bit of competance (yes, this probably
excludes you) would not that major headings are in both Polish and
English.

I stand by my evaluation of your abilities, Doofus.

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 4, 9:18*am, " wrote:
Thanks again John. Let me know if you ever need a hand with an arcade
game. Ted

Actually, one of my very best friends has been in the vending business
for a very long time, and I fix his CRT monitors for him. Of course,
the business isn't what it was, and he's getting into other things. I
will however take you up on your offer if we ever get stuck on
something and can use some extra help.

Enjoy that 195 (for probably another 10 years).

John