Junior Member

Default RCA 13" TV TX826TC Chassis won't power up

Greetings. I have an old RCA 13" TV, model E13323SE (using the TX826TX chassis). It's finally gotten to the point where it refuses to power on. I hear a high pitched whine (Cathode starting to charge up?), then it cuts out and tries again. After pulling the case off, I can see light burn marks on the main PCB around TP14 and TP15 (which I'm finding to be a common problem in my searches). I would like to replace them so I can use this TV again, unfortunately, my knowledge of transistor specs is very limited. Could anyone point me to a good source for these components with part numbers? The local electronics supply store wasn't of much help. Any other suggestions are more than welcome as well. Thanks.

pcgod:
Your research results are correct. Replace TP-15, RCA P/N 185197,
replacement transistor 2SC3207. It is available from any RCA
distributor such as Tritronics (phone 1-800-638-3328)... you can easily
find the website with a quick google search.
Note that the replacement transistor has a different pinout than the
original so be careful when installing it... follow the instructions in
the RCA package. Usually the replacement of TP-15 will solve your
power on problem but if not, there may be other faulty components such
as TP-14, etc.
electricitym

pcgod:
As a side note.... before you "blindly" order and replace TP-15 you
should really do some preliminary troubleshooting and component testing
to determine exactly which parts are faulty.... the power on problem
you are describing can easily turn into failures beyond TP-15, so some
technical troubleshooting is required to determine exactly what may be
faulty. If you are not certain how to proceed you should go to the
website for this newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
there, with some searching, you will find a wealth of troubleshooting
tips, component testing methods, repair proceedures, and IMPORTANT
safety information that will help you to stay away from dangerous and
lethal electrical shock hazards... note that these hazards may still be
present even when the television is disconnected from the AC power...
be very careful.
If after the repairfaq, you are still uncertain as to how to proceed
you might have a technically oriented friend do this job for you or
find a small owner-operated shop that will still repair small
televisions at a reasonable price.... my shop still does. At the very
least get a repair cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair
decision with diagnostic facts instead of internet guesses.
electricitym

Skype_man

TP 15 is almost always at fault, change it if it hasn't been
changed. Check TP 14 & the ones used to control the
power supply, like TP 12 etc. Solder the tuner grounds,
& all tuner connections on the bottom of the main board.
Great T.V., will outlast most new units easily. Sky.

Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll definately read that FAQ before touching anything. The only electronics I worry about working on are CRT's due to the high voltage components. Already got tagged off one of the smaller caps before I decided to make sure the larger ones were discharged. I'll give TP15 a try.

RonKZ650

Check voltage on pin 48 of the microprocessor IC which is the 5v
supply. If it reads 5v, usually somewhere around 3v it means TP15 is
bad. RCA 185197, part is no longer available through RCA after present
stock is gone. 2SC3207 generic number