Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ATX power supply fan noisy.

UCLAN wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Which '3-in-1' oil. That is a brand, not a type.

It's the type in a small metal tin with a plastic nozzle - the very same
tin I've had on a shelf at the back of the garage for about 40 years. I
haven't a clue what the official grade is, other than its the general
purpose domestic stuff, like you'd use for oiling door hinges and
bicycle chains. And latterly, of course, computer

'3-in-1' does make an electric motor oil.

My favorite "3-in-1" product:

http://www.3inone.com/products/white-lithium-grease/

I use lithium grease, but another brand that I can pick up from a car
parts dealer just down the street. I also use PB Blaster and Breakfree.

I like the "3-in-1" spray on lithium grease because I can reach hard to
get to places with the spray tube, yet it dries with the consistency of
regular lithium grease.

The brand I have in the shop does the same thing. I can't get into
that part of my garage at the moment to tell you what it is, and I've
used several brands over the years. I used to use GC 'Lubriplate' in a
metal tube.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 02 May 2010 11:05:52 -0700, UCLAN wrote:

mm wrote:

Any 2-wire, 80mm, 12VDC, 0.30A (approx) will do. Got a Radio Shack nearby?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102826 will do.

Probably cheaper at some place like Frys.

Radio shack has a great webpage in many ways, but one enormous flaw is
that if you click on a link, it might say the part is out of stock,
even when stores have it.

As with all websites (Petco, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.) information
given for a product (availability, price, etc.) is for the website
ONLY! There is no way a website can pretend to keep up with the stock
details of thousands of retail stores.

The first paragraph is a digression. OTOH, you've digressed by
bringing up other websites as if one could deduce what RS is like by
knowing a little about what they are like. It's true that
many websites act almost like the stores don't exist. For example,
the discussion of warrantee on one was not accurate wrt to purchases
made at a store. And Home Depot and Lowes have terrible pages in
general. Once I looked at kitchen faucets at a nearby Lowes, where
they had 8 models that I could have used. When I wanted to review
them later that day, the website showed none at that location, and it
was hard to find out about any other location. Lowes used to ask what
zipcode the user lived in and then pick a store near there and call it
his home store. If they didn't have what he wanted in that store, the
computer user had to come up with another zipcode and see if the store
there had it. They've improved slightly. Now it looks iirc at my
"home store" and then the two stores nearest my home store. But I
have a car. Just tell me the closest store that has it and if I'll go
there now if it's important enough, or maybe I'll be nearby soon. --
I apologize. I have digressed.

I gather you have posted without knowing much about the radio shack
website. One of the reasons I called it a great webpage is that it
does indeed "pretend to keep up with the stock ....of its retail
stores." And not only that, afaict, it actually does keep up with
them. I made a mistake when I needed the A-B switch of not checking
the stores, so I'll never know what it said then, but in other
situations, when I wanted something that day (unlike this switch which
I knew I wouldn't use for weeks) I have looked for individual store
information and what I found appeared to be correct when I got to the
store.

Of course I won't know what happens between the time I check the
computer and the time I get to the store (although I could call and
ask them to reserve it for me) and of course there is shoplifing etc.
so actual stock doesn't always match inventory records, but with
computers it's not hard at all to keep track of inventory for each
store. They probably did it anyhow and then just made it available to
customers.

And only in a minority of cases
does a retail store match the price of a website.

Their own website? It's you who recommended a radio shack part. Do
you think that RS doesn't charge the same price at the store as
online?** And what does this have to do with the OP, who likely
wouldn't quibble about a dollar or two when he hasn't been able to
find what he wants anywhere else so far? **Plus they have free
shipping to any participating store, which I'm sure is almost all of
them. Since they have stores in almost every US state, they charge
sales tax on internet orders too, I presume. If the store has it,
it's just as good as online and it's quicker.

Only a fool would
think that a website saying "out-of-stock" would necessarily mean that
a retail store in BF, Iowa, was also out of stock.

So now you're going to call names. All this misinformation and
irrelevancy about RS just to call me a fool!

Anyhow, he'd think that if he figured the stores never stocked it at
all, and would only have it if he had it shipped to the store.
Because like you say, stores don't stock all the same things the
warehouse does.

I just bought a nice vinyl screen door (I'm 200' from the ocean) from
Home Depot that wasn't even available on their website. Apples and
oranges.

You don't know much about Radio Shack.

--
Posters should say what U,S. state if any they live in. Why
do so many keep their state as secret as their own name?

IANAL. That is, I am not a lawyer.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

I've never had the any luck rejuvenating fans with lubrication after
the fan's bearings have started to howl.

I've never let one go so far as to howl. Nor have I heard one do that!
The fans I've oiled were usually making a grumbling noise and it was
intermittent in most cases.

There's no harm in trying it.

Just about three days ago, I broke a blade off of an Intel CPU
cooler's fan. I puzzled about what to do, as the fan is an unusual
type and I don't have any other Pentium III compatible coolers sitting
around. What I finally did was to super glue the blade back on. The
repair appears to be robust after two days worth of running. What's
more, the balance appears not to have been affected at all by this
little "whoopsy".

William
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

Any 2-wire, 80mm, 12VDC, 0.30A (approx) will do. Got a Radio Shack nearby?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102826 will do.

Probably cheaper at some place like Frys.

Radio shack has a great webpage in many ways, but one enormous flaw is
that if you click on a link, it might say the part is out of stock,
even when stores have it.

As with all websites (Petco, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.) information
given for a product (availability, price, etc.) is for the website
ONLY! There is no way a website can pretend to keep up with the stock
details of thousands of retail stores.

The first paragraph is a digression.

??? Whose first paragraph? Not mine. The word "all" includes even
Radio Shack.

I gather you have posted without knowing much about the radio shack
website. One of the reasons I called it a great webpage is that it
does indeed "pretend to keep up with the stock ....of its retail
stores."

Not at all true. I suggest you read the "ITEM AVAILABILITY" section
of its website:

"...Some items are either temporarily out-of-stock online (and may be
available at your local RadioShack retail store)..."

And only in a minority of cases
does a retail store match the price of a website.

Their own website? It's you who recommended a radio shack part. Do
you think that RS doesn't charge the same price at the store as
online?

Gee, they even say they might not. From their online site:

"...Prices advertised on this site are for online orders only."

Only a fool would
think that a website saying "out-of-stock" would necessarily mean that
a retail store in BF, Iowa, was also out of stock.

So now you're going to call names. All this misinformation and
irrelevancy about RS just to call me a fool!

Well, I didn't call you a fool. I wrote that "only a fool would think..."
If that description fits you, fine. If the shoe fits, as they say. As far
as my "misinformation" goes, are you claiming that the information given
at the site is incorrect?

You don't know much about Radio Shack.

Apparently, much more than do you. I also know how to read fine print at
a website, including Radio Shack's.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just about three days ago, I broke a blade off of an Intel CPU
cooler's fan. I puzzled about what to do, as the fan is an unusual
type and I don't have any other Pentium III compatible coolers sitting
around. What I finally did was to super glue the blade back on. The
repair appears to be robust after two days worth of running. What's
more, the balance appears not to have been affected at all by this
little "whoopsy".

Good fix. I was in a similar trouble but didn't have the blade so I
placed two small rubber belts held on the nearest blades to balance
the fan, worked quite well.

I've had limited success oiling fans, usually it won't last long as
the oil appears to evaporate or go somewhere else. I tried several
oils for motors and none of them last. Some evaporate and some harden
and end up locking the fan. I belive the manufacturer used some sort
of special grease, I have seen similar grease used in sleeve bearing
motors for video heads in Philips VCRs that after years of operation
preserves its properties intact.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ceramic bearings appear to be even better:http://www.ceramicafans.com/whyceramic.htm

- Franc Zabkar
--

Pity the chip it will be cooling is not going to be kept in service
for 34 years.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 28, 10:53*am, "David Farber" wrote:
I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, *power supply fan. The
power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few places online that have them
listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is
prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
and not cost more than the power supply itself?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Why would you even waste time on a PC power supply fan? Are you going
to check the capacitors that are very likely going bad too? You can
buy an Antec EarthWatts 380 Watt supply from Fry's for $30. High
efficiency, power factor corrected, auto switch 120/240, variable
speed cooling fan. Isn't your time worth anything?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , David Farber
writes

I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan. The
power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A.

Funnily enough, I've just replaced one of those today.

I've found a few places online that have them
listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is
prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
and not cost more than the power supply itself?

Yeah, you can use a generic replacement but if it's powered 24/7 it
won't last long. Find a good quality ball-bearing replacement from the
likes of NMB-Mat, Panasonic or Papst. You'll be glad you did.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Franc Zabkar
writes

Ceramic bearings appear to be even better:
http://www.ceramicafans.com/whyceramic.htm

Also known as Vapo bearings.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7
(")_(") a go despite what he's said about it...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
s.com, Jeroni Paul writes

I've had limited success oiling fans, usually it won't last long as
the oil appears to evaporate or go somewhere else. I tried several
oils for motors and none of them last.

Try a silicone-based lubricant (with a consistency between that of oil
and grease). Expensive but it works.

--
(\__/)