Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba SD-P1600 DC Jack Broken!

The DC jack on the side of my Toshiba SD-P1600 has a small barrel in
its center, and that barrel has broken off, rendering the machine
unchargable and therefore unusable.

And I'm having a very difficult time finding a replacement jack. I'd
even look for a broken machine in the hope of replacing the whole
board, so I won't have to solder.

Got any idea of source or even part number for an item like this? No
luck at Mouser, so I'm stymied.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Billy Gilbert writes:

The DC jack on the side of my Toshiba SD-P1600 has a small barrel in
its center, and that barrel has broken off, rendering the machine
unchargable and therefore unusable.

And I'm having a very difficult time finding a replacement jack. I'd
even look for a broken machine in the hope of replacing the whole
board, so I won't have to solder.

Got any idea of source or even part number for an item like this? No
luck at Mouser, so I'm stymied.

You should be able to find a broken Toshiba portable DVD player
on eBay for less cost than the minimum order at Mouser, even if they
did have the DC jack. Since the same DC jack is used a number of
Toshibal DVD players and other items, you don't have to find
the exact model. The most common is probably the SD-KP19.

The mainboards are often fine with the problems being in the DVD drive
or display, but not always, and thus even if you find a broken SD-P1600,
it may be necessary to transfer the DC jack.

The other option is to wire in a more conventional DC jack and change
the plug on the adapter.

Please note that in either scenario, removing and replacing the mainboard
is not something for a total novice. There are many tiny screws and
opportunities to rip wires off of connectors.
--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The DC jack on the side of my Toshiba SD-P1600 has a small
barrel in its center, and that barrel has broken off, rendering
the machine unchargable and therefore unusable.

Don't make things worse by sneezing on the unit.

Have you contacted Toshiba?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the suggestions -- it only makes sense that Toshiba would
use that jack in more than one machine, but I wasn't thinking in that
direction. I'll keep pursuing that for a while before looking at
changing the jack and plug.

I took the mainboard out (and put it back in) already just to assure
myself that it's possible with my fat fingers.

BG

On 12 Sep 2008 19:25:58 -0400, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

You should be able to find a broken Toshiba portable DVD player
on eBay for less cost than the minimum order at Mouser, even if they
did have the DC jack. Since the same DC jack is used a number of
Toshibal DVD players and other items, you don't have to find
the exact model. The most common is probably the SD-KP19.

The mainboards are often fine with the problems being in the DVD drive
or display, but not always, and thus even if you find a broken SD-P1600,
it may be necessary to transfer the DC jack.

The other option is to wire in a more conventional DC jack and change
the plug on the adapter.

Please note that in either scenario, removing and replacing the mainboard
is not something for a total novice. There are many tiny screws and
opportunities to rip wires off of connectors.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had the following conversation with a Toshiba rep:

Me: I'm calling to find a nearby repair center for the SD-P1600.

(We establish that it's long out of warranty coverage.)

Rep: That unit gets a depot repair. I'll give you the address, and
they'll fix it for you.

Me: Okay. Can you tell me how much it would cost?

Rep: Oh. Yes. That would help, wouldn't it?

Me: It would. Is it a flat rate kind of thing?

Rep: It is. The cost is $114.95, which includes return shipping.

Me: I can buy a brand-new unit for $95.

(Pause.)

Rep: Can I set you up for a repair, then?

Me: Uh, no. I'd have to be out of my mind to do that. I'd have to be
insane.

Rep: Thank you for calling Toshiba.

BG

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:04:57 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

The DC jack on the side of my Toshiba SD-P1600 has a small
barrel in its center, and that barrel has broken off, rendering
the machine unchargable and therefore unusable.

Don't make things worse by sneezing on the unit.

Have you contacted Toshiba?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Billy Gilbert" wrote in message

insane interchange with clueless Toshiba rep snipped

I was thinking more along the line of purchasing a part. There's a good
chance it's a standard hermaphroditic power jack, and you might be able to
get a replacement from Newark, Allied, Mouser, etc.

I guess I'm the only person here who knows who Billy Gilbert was...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Finally found the DC jack I need, but it was a grueling search. After
striking out on learning the part number, I started looking at
Toshiba's authorized parts-supply websites, and Vance Baldwin
Electronics had a PDF of the unit's service manual available. I pulled
the part number off the schematic and found it, albeit with a
different stock number, at the Baldwin site.

Now to see just how ominous its back-order status turns out to be.

BG