Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding a phone jack ..Jack..

I'd like to add a phone jack . My home is a new construction. And for
some odd reason the only room they didn't put a phone line in was the
living room. I like to use webtv in the living room.

I can do the wiring and splicing etc. But the garage is drywalled and
the LR is above this drywalled space. The other part of the basement
where the phone wires come in is unfinished. So, it's a matter of how do
I run the wire from the unfinished space up through the drywalled garage
with the least amount of intrusion and the least amount of patch work
needed in the dry wall..

I have already run a tv cable line to the garage, so I can use this
path for the phone. Should I try to use an electrical outlet and fish it
in reverse..? Or is coming in from the outside the most effecient..?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'd like to add a phone jack . My home is a new construction. And for
some odd reason the only room they didn't put a phone line in was the
living room. I like to use webtv in the living room.

I can do the wiring and splicing etc. But the garage is drywalled and
the LR is above this drywalled space. The other part of the basement
where the phone wires come in is unfinished. So, it's a matter of how do
I run the wire from the unfinished space up through the drywalled garage
with the least amount of intrusion and the least amount of patch work
needed in the dry wall..

I have already run a tv cable line to the garage, so I can use this
path for the phone. Should I try to use an electrical outlet and fish it
in reverse..? Or is coming in from the outside the most effecient..?

If you have any phone jacks on existing walls that are adjacent to the
living room, you can just tap them

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ck-314086-.htm
:

wrote:

[...]

If NEC is the law where you live (most of US), you can't pull phone and
power wire through the same hole in the beams which is what you'd be
forced to do if you used power wire as a fish rope. I would suggest that
you buy a molding channel that can house a cable or two and run it
alongside the baseboard in the garage, then up until you hit the spot
where you can drill up into the LR. You can also see if the baseboard can
be removed and cable placed into the cavity between the drywall and the
floor (provided it's safe from the nails you'll use to attach the
baseboard back).

It's hard to tel without seeing it. Improvise. Sometimes going outside is
the only option. The least desirable ugly option.

Good luck.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

om...

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what the OP means by "Should I try to use an electrical outlet
and fish
it
in reverse..? " , but just to clarify: You can't run telephone wiring in
the same raceway as line voltage conductors, but you can pull telephone
cable through the same holes bored in wood beams along with line voltage
cables

Posted to alt.home.repair

blurted out in alt.home.repair:

I'd like to add a phone jack . My home is a new construction. And for
some odd reason the only room they didn't put a phone line in was the
living room. I like to use webtv in the living room.

I can do the wiring and splicing etc. But the garage is drywalled and
the LR is above this drywalled space. The other part of the basement
where the phone wires come in is unfinished. So, it's a matter of how do
I run the wire from the unfinished space up through the drywalled garage
with the least amount of intrusion and the least amount of patch work
needed in the dry wall..

I have already run a tv cable line to the garage, so I can use this
path for the phone. Should I try to use an electrical outlet and fish it
in reverse..? Or is coming in from the outside the most effecient..?

I use one of these for my dishnetwork to phone home and it works great:
http://www.amazon.com/RTX-RTX3241S-D.../dp/B000I5LU60

No need to run any wires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'd like to add a phone jack . My home is a new construction. And for
some odd reason the only room they didn't put a phone line in was the
living room. I like to use webtv in the living room.

I can do the wiring and splicing etc. But the garage is drywalled and
the LR is above this drywalled space. The other part of the basement
where the phone wires come in is unfinished. So, it's a matter of how do
I run the wire from the unfinished space up through the drywalled garage
with the least amount of intrusion and the least amount of patch work
needed in the dry wall..

I have already run a tv cable line to the garage, so I can use this
path for the phone. Should I try to use an electrical outlet and fish it
in reverse..? Or is coming in from the outside the most effecient..?

Get wifi. And a real computer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Get wifi. And a real computer."
---------------
I Don't allow wirless anything in my home. The only thing I have that's
wireless is my remotes and my 'webtv' keyboard and the are line of sight
wireless not radio wave...

Wireless is bad for your heath. This includes dish network devices,
cell phones, cordless phones. etc.. If you want to be a lab rat for a
big corporation (and pay 'them' to do it) , you'll be doing it outside
of confines of my properties..

To the person who said webtv is no more, you should take a closer look
at my email address..

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to drill into the floor. The
next closest jack is a wall jack in the kitchen. The floor jack in the
nearest bedroom is as far away as the gang connections for the whole
house.

Odd thing is they have a phone jack above the living room in a bedroom.
It would have been just as easy to put one in the living room as it was
to run one over the top of it..

Posted to alt.home.repair

I Don't allow wirless anything in my home. The only thing I have that's
wireless is my remotes and my 'webtv' keyboard and the are line of sight
wireless not radio wave...

� Wireless is bad for your heath. This includes dish network devices,
cell phones, cordless phones. etc.. If �you want to be a lab rat for a
big corporation (and pay 'them' to do it) , you'll be doing it outside
of confines of my properties..

cosmic radio waves have blanketed our planet from the big bang, radio,
tv and all other radio waves are all around even if you dont use

i dont like wireless because of interference and privacy

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Just because you don't use wireless devices don't mean that the signals are
always around you. Unless you live in a bubble wrapped in tinfoil.

Magic Jack USB phone Terry Home Repair 19 February 14th 08 08:26 PM
Adding an additional Jack Kbaum Home Repair 2 April 26th 06 11:52 PM
Wireless phone jack Frank Home Repair 10 March 22nd 06 08:56 PM
Adding a phone jack? Marc Wolfe Home Repair 10 February 17th 05 10:42 PM
Adding a Phone Jack & Ensuring DSL Still Works ThinkNotes Home Repair 2 July 1st 03 12:54 AM