Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Billy Gilbert Billy Gilbert is offline

Default Toshiba SD-P1600 DC Jack Broken!

Thanks for the suggestions -- it only makes sense that Toshiba would
use that jack in more than one machine, but I wasn't thinking in that
direction. I'll keep pursuing that for a while before looking at
changing the jack and plug.

I took the mainboard out (and put it back in) already just to assure
myself that it's possible with my fat fingers.

BG

On 12 Sep 2008 19:25:58 -0400, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

You should be able to find a broken Toshiba portable DVD player
on eBay for less cost than the minimum order at Mouser, even if they
did have the DC jack. Since the same DC jack is used a number of
Toshibal DVD players and other items, you don't have to find
the exact model. The most common is probably the SD-KP19.

The mainboards are often fine with the problems being in the DVD drive
or display, but not always, and thus even if you find a broken SD-P1600,
it may be necessary to transfer the DC jack.

The other option is to wire in a more conventional DC jack and change
the plug on the adapter.

Please note that in either scenario, removing and replacing the mainboard
is not something for a total novice. There are many tiny screws and
opportunities to rip wires off of connectors.