Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Modifying solar landscape lights

I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , rush14 wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.

I'm on the same train. Its just harder to find them and they tend to cost more.
I used some boards from Led Supply that are made to mimic an outdoor
lamp socket. You mount led's to the board. I think its made for 4.
I like using the yellow or orange lamps. they are best for walkways, decks etc.
I should order some neutral or warm whites K2's. These are the biggies.
http://www.ledsupply.com/k2star.php
You can wire these up in series for 12 volt use. I ordered some small whites
from somebody, but they generally run over $1 a piece. I actually bought a pack of 4
at Advance Auto to put in my car. They are made for 12 volts. They actually run a little
too warm with the dropping resistor generating a lot of heat near the LED.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"GregS" wrote in message
In article
, rush14
wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

Sure, just get the type with white LEDs, and replace the LEDs with the warm
white type.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
z z is offline

On Apr 11, 10:55*am, rush14 wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. *The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.

replace the batteries with high capacity ones too, while you're doing
the surgery. the stock batteries are ridiculous.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , z wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:55=A0am, rush14 wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. =A0The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.

replace the batteries with high capacity ones too, while you're doing
the surgery. the stock batteries are ridiculous.

In places where there is little sun, like Pittsburgh, it doesn't much
matter on battery type. The problem with most of the lamps
is their build quality. You have to waterproff them, and use silicon
grease to coat the batteries and contacts. I bought some really good
floods at Harbor Freight, but that design is no longer available. I ordered some
warm whites from LED Supply. 4000 Neutral white and 3000 warm light. I don't know the temp
of the 5 mm I bought.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:19:39 GMT, (GregS)
wrote:

In article ,
(GregS) wrote:
In article ,
rush14 wrote:
[...]

These I'm referring to are bluish whites.

greg

Jumping in to the middle of a discussion here . . .

I got some Cree emitters at: http://www.dealextreme.com five one
watt leds (blue/white - not warm white) for $20 with shipping. Very
happy with them - 3 are going into an outdoor spot light.

They also sell a few boost buck current regulators for them for few
bucks (designed so you can put a one watt LED in a 1.5-4.5 volt
flashlight, and another so you can run them on 12V) no experience
with that product.

For inexpensive 1300 mcd white leds www.ledshoppe.com has them for $12
for 100. They are good too. I think 30 1300 mcd leds will be
brighter than three one watt Cree leds and cheaper - my next outdoor
spot light.

I have no financial interest in either site. Ledshoppe did replace a
flashlight I bought from them no questions asked and no problems.
Both are overseas, ship for free, and have pay pal (no join) accounts
in the states.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 11, 10:55 am, rush14 wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.

I just received some neutral white LED's from LED Supply. I am really
happy with them. I got some Luxeon K2's and some 5mm Led's which were
about .90 ea. The K2's have a slighty different focus so different
lens is needed compared to the I,III, V types. warmer Led's don't have
the Lumens
output of the blue types, but the warm effect out ways the loss.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , GS wrote:
[...]

The built in lens on the K2 is different from the others. I was grinding the hard
plastic top off a V and noticed that the interior was soft and flexible. Now, the K2 is
made entirely of the flexible stuff. Feels like silicone.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dBc dBc is offline

Greetings Rush..

Just a consideration..
Amazing how many people refer it simply as "solar powered"
without knowing the real name of the cells.. While I've seen the
photovoltaic based yard lights, they're more of a novelty than
anything really useful since they really don't put out that much
light. By far, the best installations I've seen in yard/walkway
lighting has been from professionally installed and wired 12v (or
more) DC systems on a timer. They put out sufficient light to
*actually* illuminate the walkway in the middle of the night. In
my opinion and from my personal experience, there is no
exception - in the long run. Further, they tend to last a lot
longer than the alternatives and be more easily serviceable. And
trust me, the alternatives tend not to last all that long and
certainly eventually require servicing. This of course is
referring to the consumer style "solar powered" lighting without
wires. Also consider, since they use batteries for illuminating
those light emitting diodes, those batteries, like any battery,
will sooner than later require replacement.

Cheers,
Mr. Mentor

"z" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 27, 5:52*pm, "dBc" wrote:
Greetings Rush..

Just a consideration..
Amazing how many people refer it simply as "solar powered"
without knowing the real name of the cells.. While I've seen the
photovoltaic based yard lights, they're more of a novelty than
anything really useful since they really don't put out that much
light. By far, the best installations I've seen in yard/walkway
lighting has been from professionally installed and wired 12v (or
more) DC systems on a timer.

Around here we use 12 volt AC systems. They work just as well
as your DC systems and are not as subject to electrolytic corrosion
between contacts in a damp enviroment.

They put out sufficient light to
*actually* illuminate the walkway in the middle of the night. In
my opinion and from my personal experience, there is no
exception - in the long run. Further, they tend to last a lot
longer than the alternatives and be more easily serviceable. And

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks to all who replied about the solar cell (photovoltaic)
landscape light mod.

The reason I'm wanting to try the solar powered lights is my wifes
garden is continuously changing during the season as plants grow. The
low voltage spotlights we currently use are not easy to relocate to
accommodate the ever changing landscape. You just can't run wiring to
fit all the possible growth scenarios. Portable solar lighting
(although it has maintenance issues) seemed like a possible solution.

I realize that the typical solar powered lights are basically useless
for highlighting plants and other garden features but now I see these
lights advertised with high intensity LEDs and I wonder if they might
have adequate brightness. The problem is I can't stand the eerie
bluish tint of the so called "white" LEDs and I have yet to find any
using more incandescent looking LEDs. My thinking is to just replace
the existing LEDs with a different color, such as "warm white" ones
and maybe do a battery upgrade as well.

Someone in the forum also mentioned "natural white" LEDs and I did see
an outfit advertising lights with that color but I've yet to see a
spectrum chart that shows what color natural white really is. Is it
white like the background of these text messages or is it just another
name for the so called white LEDs?

Anyway, sorry to drag this out and your comments/suggestions were
appreciated along with any future ones.

Thanks
Rush

On Apr 11, 10:55 am, rush14 wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , rush14 wrote:
[...]

I don't know what the spectrum is. The ones I ordered from Led Supply are very noce
as far as I'm concerned. The big ones of the 'neutral light' are 4100K and are warm enough
for me. The warm ones are 3000K. The little 5mm warm lamps look very similar to the
'neutral lights" I got the wide angled ones.
http://www.ledsupply.com/l1-0-ww5th50-1.php

The large ones I ordered are here..
http://www.ledsupply.com/05027-pwn2.php

I suppose you have electronic knowledge and know how to solder, and take care
of problems inside the solar lamps which corosion takes top priority.
You have to properly seal the fixture. Very few are maid well.

greg

On Apr 11, 10:55 am, rush14 wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,
rush14 wrote:
[...]

I also should say, these are probably not going to be any brighter since all
solar lamps of recent years have high brightness Led's.
You really wasnt the "spot" type of lamp to get good highlighted brightness.