Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dBc dBc is offline

Default Modifying solar landscape lights

Greetings Rush..

Just a consideration..
Amazing how many people refer it simply as "solar powered"
without knowing the real name of the cells.. While I've seen the
photovoltaic based yard lights, they're more of a novelty than
anything really useful since they really don't put out that much
light. By far, the best installations I've seen in yard/walkway
lighting has been from professionally installed and wired 12v (or
more) DC systems on a timer. They put out sufficient light to
*actually* illuminate the walkway in the middle of the night. In
my opinion and from my personal experience, there is no
exception - in the long run. Further, they tend to last a lot
longer than the alternatives and be more easily serviceable. And
trust me, the alternatives tend not to last all that long and
certainly eventually require servicing. This of course is
referring to the consumer style "solar powered" lighting without
wires. Also consider, since they use batteries for illuminating
those light emitting diodes, those batteries, like any battery,
will sooner than later require replacement.

Cheers,
Mr. Mentor

"z" wrote in message
On Apr 11, 10:55 am, rush14 wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but
I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so
called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as
super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred
to as
super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights
are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking
Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.

replace the batteries with high capacity ones too, while you're
doing
the surgery. the stock batteries are ridiculous.