Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sparky sparky is offline

Default Modifying solar landscape lights

On Apr 27, 5:52*pm, "dBc" wrote:
Greetings Rush..

Just a consideration..
Amazing how many people refer it simply as "solar powered"
without knowing the real name of the cells.. While I've seen the
photovoltaic based yard lights, they're more of a novelty than
anything really useful since they really don't put out that much
light. By far, the best installations I've seen in yard/walkway
lighting has been from professionally installed and wired 12v (or
more) DC systems on a timer.

Around here we use 12 volt AC systems. They work just as well
as your DC systems and are not as subject to electrolytic corrosion
between contacts in a damp enviroment.

They put out sufficient light to
*actually* illuminate the walkway in the middle of the night. In
my opinion and from my personal experience, there is no
exception - in the long run. Further, they tend to last a lot
longer than the alternatives and be more easily serviceable. And