Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default Modifying solar landscape lights

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:19:39 GMT, (GregS)
wrote:

In article ,
(GregS) wrote:
In article ,
rush14 wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.

I'm on the same train. Its just harder to find them and they tend to cost more.
I used some boards from Led Supply that are made to mimic an outdoor
lamp socket. You mount led's to the board. I think its made for 4.
I like using the yellow or orange lamps. they are best for walkways, decks etc.
I should order some neutral or warm whites K2's. These are the biggies.
http://www.ledsupply.com/k2star.php
You can wire these up in series for 12 volt use. I ordered some small whites
from somebody, but they generally run over $1 a piece. I actually bought a pack
of 4
at Advance Auto to put in my car. They are made for 12 volts. They actually run
a little
too warm with the dropping resistor generating a lot of heat near the LED.

These I'm referring to are bluish whites.

greg

Jumping in to the middle of a discussion here . . .

I got some Cree emitters at: http://www.dealextreme.com five one
watt leds (blue/white - not warm white) for $20 with shipping. Very
happy with them - 3 are going into an outdoor spot light.

They also sell a few boost buck current regulators for them for few
bucks (designed so you can put a one watt LED in a 1.5-4.5 volt
flashlight, and another so you can run them on 12V) no experience
with that product.

For inexpensive 1300 mcd white leds www.ledshoppe.com has them for $12
for 100. They are good too. I think 30 1300 mcd leds will be
brighter than three one watt Cree leds and cheaper - my next outdoor
spot light.

I have no financial interest in either site. Ledshoppe did replace a
flashlight I bought from them no questions asked and no problems.
Both are overseas, ship for free, and have pay pal (no join) accounts
in the states.