Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rush14 rush14 is offline

Default Modifying solar landscape lights

Thanks to all who replied about the solar cell (photovoltaic)
landscape light mod.

The reason I'm wanting to try the solar powered lights is my wifes
garden is continuously changing during the season as plants grow. The
low voltage spotlights we currently use are not easy to relocate to
accommodate the ever changing landscape. You just can't run wiring to
fit all the possible growth scenarios. Portable solar lighting
(although it has maintenance issues) seemed like a possible solution.

I realize that the typical solar powered lights are basically useless
for highlighting plants and other garden features but now I see these
lights advertised with high intensity LEDs and I wonder if they might
have adequate brightness. The problem is I can't stand the eerie
bluish tint of the so called "white" LEDs and I have yet to find any
using more incandescent looking LEDs. My thinking is to just replace
the existing LEDs with a different color, such as "warm white" ones
and maybe do a battery upgrade as well.

Someone in the forum also mentioned "natural white" LEDs and I did see
an outfit advertising lights with that color but I've yet to see a
spectrum chart that shows what color natural white really is. Is it
white like the background of these text messages or is it just another
name for the so called white LEDs?

Anyway, sorry to drag this out and your comments/suggestions were
appreciated along with any future ones.

Thanks
Rush

On Apr 11, 10:55 am, rush14 wrote:
I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't
like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white
LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super
bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as
super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights are not
an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made
handbags or porno videos.