Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Onkyo Carousel DVD transport not working

Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? Or is a cog
not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4 or 5
discs in total! Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being picked up,
something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor spinning but the disc
doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on loading any disc and tries to
move on to the next disc with the same result.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? Or is a
cog not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4 or
5 discs in total! Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being picked
up, something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor spinning but
the disc doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on loading any disc
and tries to move on to the next disc with the same result.

10 months old = under warranty. Contact an Onkyo dealer for how to contact
an Onkyo-certified warranty repair shop. DO NOT open it or you will void
the warranty.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Your unit should be under warranty.

These can be very tricky and a challange to service. The problem can
be belts, the motor, or something mechanicaly not sitting correctly.
If you were to service this yourself, it would take skill and
experience that I doubt you have, or you would not be asking.

Jerry G.
======

On Feb 27, 12:24*pm, "news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote:
Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? *Or is a cog
not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4 *or 5
discs in total! *Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being picked up,
something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor spinning but the disc
doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on loading any disc and tries to
move on to the next disc with the same result.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? Or is a
cog not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4 or
5 discs in total! Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being picked
up, something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor spinning but
the disc doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on loading any disc
and tries to move on to the next disc with the same result.

If it has really only been used a handful of times, then there's a good
chance that your problem is simply a dusty lens surface on the laser. DVD
players tend to keep dust free as a result of the very high disc spin speed
dragging a layer of fast moving air over the lens. You might also try
playing a regular music CD in it, as a dusty DVD lens is more forgiving of
the less challenging data stream. If the lens is not dusty, but it does play
a CD, then you would under normal circumstances, have to be suspecting the
laser itself.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 01:38:50 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
.. .
[...]

http://www.justmanuals.com/onkyo-cha...e-p-11317.html

$9.99 and instant download

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? Or is a
cog not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4 or
5 discs in total! Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being picked
up, something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor spinning but
the disc doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on loading any disc
and tries to move on to the next disc with the same result.

They had a lot of bad pickups on this model. You need to get it fixed under
warranty.

Onkyo's policy is no warranty unless bought from an authorized dealer;
however, if you call their customer service they will cover a one-time
repair on a unit from a non-autorized dealer.

If on the other hand you got it from or some such you'll
probably be out of luck.

In the United States you can reach Onkyo at 800-229-1687 if memory serves.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Thanks everyone but I know all that

As everyone here has been so helpful, I thought that I should give a bit
more of the story than was relevant to the OP

'The' unit has already been replaced before, twice and sent back to Onkyo
four or more times. Ultimately they replaced an earlier model with this one

By that time however I had completely lost faith in the product, which is
why it has sat there for so long and been used so little

However I have also lost faith in Onkyo's ability to service it or indeed
their willingness to do so, especially after the ordeal they put me through
on the last occasionS, plural. I certainly don't want to waste money on
buying THEIR service manual in these circumstances!

So I thought I would ask here if anyone has any idea what the trouble might
be so that I can try to rectify it myself

Actually being as I am a masochist, I have in fact called Onkyo a half dozen
times and been put through the wringer yet again by being put on indefinite
hold almost every time. Luckily I have learned to use a speakerphone and
all this caused little disruption to me!

On one occasion by pressing random keys on the telephone I did manage to get
put through to a slightly indignant service manager who demanded to know how
I had managed to get put through to him,. He was in fact quite nice and
told me to take the cover off and clean the lens carefully.

It was THEN that I noted the problem which I described to you all, which is
that the clamp holds the DVD in place and something starts to run the
spinner on the DVD and when something or other doesn't engage, it gives up
and pretends to move on to the next DVD which does the same. Ultimately it
gives up on moving on and realises that the servo isn't moving the DVD as I
mentioned in OP.

I had thought obviously wrongly that is was a standard carousel mechanism
which was subject to the standard problems which could be easily repaired
by someone without much technical knowledge by tightening some cog or other
or replacing some belt.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? Or is a
cog not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4
or 5 discs in total! Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being
picked up, something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor
spinning but the disc doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on
result.

They had a lot of bad pickups on this model. You need to get it fixed
under warranty.

Onkyo's policy is no warranty unless bought from an authorized dealer;
however, if you call their customer service they will cover a one-time
repair on a unit from a non-autorized dealer.

If on the other hand you got it from or some such you'll
probably be out of luck.

In the United States you can reach Onkyo at 800-229-1687 if memory serves.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

How could you not have told us all that in the first place?

Sheesh.

Well, as I said - they had problems with that model.

Additionally, Onkyo DVD players in general haven't been too good as they are
mostly Philips-built.

Most dvd players are crap from a reliability standpoint. That is why one
should not buy a combination "dvdceiver" unit.

Pioneer and Sony units tend to be more reliable, but there are no real
guarantees here either.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave" wrote in message

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? Or is a
cog not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4
or
5 discs in total! Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being
picked
up, something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor spinning but
the disc doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on loading any disc
and tries to move on to the next disc with the same result.

10 months old = under warranty. Contact an Onkyo dealer for how to
contact
an Onkyo-certified warranty repair shop. DO NOT open it or you will void
the warranty.

Warranty under the cheap brand? Don't waste your time. If I were you, I
fix it myself. Less hassle to deal with the low class people. Check the
belt, or rubber, something is not turning your DVD disc holder. It's a
simple job.

--
Service to my daemon Bush? Done that excessively, and I've got my DD666 to
prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida Top idiot.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

snip

He was in fact quite nice and
told me to take the cover off and clean the lens carefully.

So have you ??

It was THEN that I noted the problem which I described to you all, which
is that the clamp holds the DVD in place and something starts to run the
spinner on the DVD and when something or other doesn't engage, it gives up
and pretends to move on to the next DVD which does the same. Ultimately it
gives up on moving on and realises that the servo isn't moving the DVD as
I mentioned in OP.

I had thought obviously wrongly that is was a standard carousel mechanism
which was subject to the standard problems which could be easily repaired
by someone without much technical knowledge by tightening some cog or
other or replacing some belt.

It would seem that you are completely misunderstanding the sequence of
events which lead to a disc being played, and the term 'servo'. There is no
such item as a "spinner" in a DVD or CD player. I assume that you are
meaning that the disc starts to be rotated by the spindle motor, having been
correctly clamped to the turntable, but that the loading process does not
proceed on from there, resulting in the player rotating the carousel to have
a try at the next position. All this means is that the laser does not manage
to read anything that it can make sense of, from the initial spinup of the
disc, so it assumes that there is no disc at that position on the carousel.

In view of the fact that you seem to not understand the workings of these
players, then I think that your eforts will have to be confined to cleaning
the lens, as both the man at Onkyo and myself suggested to you, or accept
that the laser is faulty, as both Mark and myself have told you.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

Onkyo is not a "cheap brand", but their dvd players aren't the best, either.
It's not a belt or rubber issue. The pickups on these are a common failure
item, and the unit must achieve focus before it will spin the disc.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

Onkyo is not a "cheap brand", but their dvd players aren't the best, either.
It's not a belt or rubber issue. The pickups on these are a common failure
item, and the unit must achieve focus before it will spin the disc.

Mark Z.

|------||-----|
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| aioe.org |
| TROLL! |
|------||-----|
/|\\|/||||//|||/\???\\//\\\\/|?\/
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

Onkyo is not a "cheap brand", but their dvd players aren't the best,
either.
It's not a belt or rubber issue. The pickups on these are a common
failure
item, and the unit must achieve focus before it will spin the disc.

Mark Z.

|------||-----|
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| aioe.org |
| TROLL! |
|------||-----|
/|\\|/||||//|||/\???\\//\\\\/|?\/
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Something going on I wasn't aware of - phony post or something?

mz

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

|------||-----|
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| aioe.org |
| TROLL! |
|------||-----|
/|\\|/||||//|||/\???\\//\\\\/|?\/

Something going on I wasn't aware of - phony post or something?

mz

A lot of forged messages through aioe.org. Set your newsreader to
display full headers, and keep an eye out.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

|------||-----|
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| aioe.org |
| TROLL! |
|------||-----|
/|\\|/||||//|||/\???\\//\\\\/|?\/

Something going on I wasn't aware of - phony post or something?

mz

A lot of forged messages through aioe.org. Set your newsreader to
display full headers, and keep an eye out.

I wish my newsreader had a way to block a whole domain. aioe.org hosts an
open news server, a nice idea, except that it's a haven for spammers and
trolls.

I'm surprised nobody has forged me yet, well aside from the biblical spammer
who forged practically everyone here. If I start spouting off nonsense, it's
probably a fake.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

|------||-----|
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| aioe.org |
| TROLL! |
|------||-----|
/|\\|/||||//|||/\???\\//\\\\/|?\/

Something going on I wasn't aware of - phony post or something?

mz

A lot of forged messages through aioe.org. Set your newsreader to
display full headers, and keep an eye out.

I wish my newsreader had a way to block a whole domain. aioe.org hosts an
open news server, a nice idea, except that it's a haven for spammers and
trolls.

I'm surprised nobody has forged me yet, well aside from the biblical spammer
who forged practically everyone here. If I start spouting off nonsense, it's
probably a fake.

If you can get newsproxy to work, you can drop all traffic from
aioe.org. There are several version of the software floting around, and
some don't work with XP. Look at The usenet improvment project for more
information. http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that seems obvious in view of the problems encountered here. Hardly
worthwhile going through the wringer again with them as the laser seems to
be what is at fault, though this response could have been given as a first
post on this thread?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"news.rcn.com" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Well I think it's pretty much what I posted in reply within a few hours of
you starting the thread, and what Mark told you a day or two later ?? Maybe
your news server is slow at picking up the reponses ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I didnt mean I wasnt grateful?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
snip
[...]

Sorry for any misunderstanding guys: When I said "when something or other
doesn't engage, it gives up and pretends to move on to the next DVD which
does the same" I meant that there was a possibility (which I was discounting
in a practically new unit) that the laser was simply not reading, it wasnt
sending any message to the motor to continue to spin the DVD (despite what
you say, I still assume something spins the DVD) and it was assuming that
there was no DVD in the carousel. i wasnt arguing with you, I was just
assuming that there might be a mechanical fault as opposed to what amounts
to an optical one.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, talking about DVDceivers, I can well believe
that these are as unreliable as the (Philips?) carousel player type units.
I also have a RCA HTS-6000 (three disc stack-loader) which does pretty much
the same thing: It just says LOADING and then NO DISC. Meaning presumably
the laser is gone as well!

It's main problem is that as it claims to have numerous 100 watt amplifiers
in it and weighs a ton, (indicating that it might actually have some form of
real transformer in it. Unless it just has lots of heat sinking?), it sort
of deceives into making you think it is worth spending something on it.