Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Onkyo Carousel DVD transport not working

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? Or is a
cog not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4 or
5 discs in total! Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being picked
up, something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor spinning but
the disc doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on loading any disc
and tries to move on to the next disc with the same result.

If it has really only been used a handful of times, then there's a good
chance that your problem is simply a dusty lens surface on the laser. DVD
players tend to keep dust free as a result of the very high disc spin speed
dragging a layer of fast moving air over the lens. You might also try
playing a regular music CD in it, as a dusty DVD lens is more forgiving of
the less challenging data stream. If the lens is not dusty, but it does play
a CD, then you would under normal circumstances, have to be suspecting the
laser itself.

Arfa