Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Thanks everyone but I know all that

"news.rcn.com" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
snip

He was in fact quite nice and
told me to take the cover off and clean the lens carefully.

So have you ??

It was THEN that I noted the problem which I described to you all, which
is that the clamp holds the DVD in place and something starts to run the
spinner on the DVD and when something or other doesn't engage, it gives
up and pretends to move on to the next DVD which does the same.
Ultimately it gives up on moving on and realises that the servo isn't
moving the DVD as I mentioned in OP.

I had thought obviously wrongly that is was a standard carousel
mechanism which was subject to the standard problems which could be
easily repaired by someone without much technical knowledge by
tightening some cog or other or replacing some belt.

It would seem that you are completely misunderstanding the sequence of
events which lead to a disc being played, and the term 'servo'. There is
no such item as a "spinner" in a DVD or CD player. I assume that you are
meaning that the disc starts to be rotated by the spindle motor, having
been correctly clamped to the turntable, but that the loading process
does not proceed on from there, resulting in the player rotating the
carousel to have a try at the next position. All this means is that the
laser does not manage to read anything that it can make sense of, from
the initial spinup of the disc, so it assumes that there is no disc at
that position on the carousel.

In view of the fact that you seem to not understand the workings of these
players, then I think that your eforts will have to be confined to
cleaning the lens, as both the man at Onkyo and myself suggested to you,
or accept that the laser is faulty, as both Mark and myself have told
you.

Arfa

Yes, that seems obvious in view of the problems encountered here. Hardly
worthwhile going through the wringer again with them as the laser seems to
be what is at fault, though this response could have been given as a first
post on this thread?

Well I think it's pretty much what I posted in reply within a few hours of
you starting the thread, and what Mark told you a day or two later ?? Maybe
your news server is slow at picking up the reponses ?

Arfa