Posted to sci.electronics.repair
news.rcn.com news.rcn.com is offline

Default Thanks everyone but I know all that

As everyone here has been so helpful, I thought that I should give a bit
more of the story than was relevant to the OP

'The' unit has already been replaced before, twice and sent back to Onkyo
four or more times. Ultimately they replaced an earlier model with this one

By that time however I had completely lost faith in the product, which is
why it has sat there for so long and been used so little

However I have also lost faith in Onkyo's ability to service it or indeed
their willingness to do so, especially after the ordeal they put me through
on the last occasionS, plural. I certainly don't want to waste money on
buying THEIR service manual in these circumstances!

So I thought I would ask here if anyone has any idea what the trouble might
be so that I can try to rectify it myself

Actually being as I am a masochist, I have in fact called Onkyo a half dozen
times and been put through the wringer yet again by being put on indefinite
hold almost every time. Luckily I have learned to use a speakerphone and
all this caused little disruption to me!

On one occasion by pressing random keys on the telephone I did manage to get
put through to a slightly indignant service manager who demanded to know how
I had managed to get put through to him,. He was in fact quite nice and
told me to take the cover off and clean the lens carefully.

It was THEN that I noted the problem which I described to you all, which is
that the clamp holds the DVD in place and something starts to run the
spinner on the DVD and when something or other doesn't engage, it gives up
and pretends to move on to the next DVD which does the same. Ultimately it
gives up on moving on and realises that the servo isn't moving the DVD as I
mentioned in OP.

I had thought obviously wrongly that is was a standard carousel mechanism
which was subject to the standard problems which could be easily repaired
by someone without much technical knowledge by tightening some cog or other
or replacing some belt.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? Or is a
cog not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4
or 5 discs in total! Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being
picked up, something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor
spinning but the disc doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on
result.

They had a lot of bad pickups on this model. You need to get it fixed
under warranty.

Onkyo's policy is no warranty unless bought from an authorized dealer;
however, if you call their customer service they will cover a one-time
repair on a unit from a non-autorized dealer.

If on the other hand you got it from or some such you'll
probably be out of luck.

In the United States you can reach Onkyo at 800-229-1687 if memory serves.

Mark Z.