Posted to sci.electronics.repair
news.rcn.com[_2_] news.rcn.com[_2_] is offline

Default I didnt mean I wasnt grateful?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
snip
It would seem that you are completely misunderstanding the sequence of
events which lead to a disc being played, and the term 'servo'. There is
no such item as a "spinner" in a DVD or CD player. I assume that you are
meaning that the disc starts to be rotated by the spindle motor, having
been correctly clamped to the turntable, but that the loading process does
not proceed on from there, resulting in the player rotating the carousel
to have a try at the next position. All this means is that the laser does
not manage to read anything that it can make sense of, from the initial
spinup of the disc, so it assumes that there is no disc at that position
on the carousel.

In view of the fact that you seem to not understand the workings of these
players, then I think that your eforts will have to be confined to
cleaning the lens, as both the man at Onkyo and myself suggested to you,
or accept that the laser is faulty, as both Mark and myself have told you.

Arfa

Sorry for any misunderstanding guys: When I said "when something or other
doesn't engage, it gives up and pretends to move on to the next DVD which
does the same" I meant that there was a possibility (which I was discounting
in a practically new unit) that the laser was simply not reading, it wasnt
sending any message to the motor to continue to spin the DVD (despite what
you say, I still assume something spins the DVD) and it was assuming that
there was no DVD in the carousel. i wasnt arguing with you, I was just
assuming that there might be a mechanical fault as opposed to what amounts
to an optical one.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, talking about DVDceivers, I can well believe
that these are as unreliable as the (Philips?) carousel player type units.
I also have a RCA HTS-6000 (three disc stack-loader) which does pretty much
the same thing: It just says LOADING and then NO DISC. Meaning presumably
the laser is gone as well!

It's main problem is that as it claims to have numerous 100 watt amplifiers
in it and weighs a ton, (indicating that it might actually have some form of
real transformer in it. Unless it just has lots of heat sinking?), it sort
of deceives into making you think it is worth spending something on it.