Errol Groff

Default Carousel Mechanism

A friend of the wife who does a lot of machine embroidery recently
purchased plans for a 12" carousel. She has been looking for a
mechanism to power it (think music box mechanism?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find such a device?

Errol Groff
Jeff Wisnia

Errol Groff wrote:

A friend of the wife who does a lot of machine embroidery recently
purchased plans for a 12" carousel. She has been looking for a
mechanism to power it (think music box mechanism?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find such a device?

Errol Groff

If it doesn't have to be spring powered I'd think about scrounging
around the surplus houses for a line voltage operated "timing motor",
they were made in many snail paced rotational speeds. The bearings and
shafts in them are strong enough so that you could directly rest a
reasonably well balanced lightweight mini carousel right on it.

They used to Be $12 items new, but I guess the transition to electronic
timing of everything has turned them into "replacement items" these
days, because I just Googled around and some manufacturers are showing
list prices above $100 for them now, Shoosh!.

But, H&R has a 10 RPM one which might fill the bill if wifey will accept
line powering her carousel:

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR&Product_Cod e=H1-08

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Don Foreman

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:27:02 GMT, Errol Groff
wrote:

A friend of the wife who does a lot of machine embroidery recently
purchased plans for a 12" carousel. She has been looking for a
mechanism to power it (think music box mechanism?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find such a device?

What speed, what load, is electric OK? I see stuff like this every
now and then at AxMan surplus -- including music box mechanisms.

wmbjk

wrote:

A friend of the wife who does a lot of machine embroidery recently
purchased plans for a 12" carousel. She has been looking for a
mechanism to power it (think music box mechanism?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find such a device?

Errol Groff

I think I remember Surplus Center having some watch display case
mechanisms. I don't see it on their site though. Might be worth giving
them a call.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...h=gear%20motor

Here are some nice new ones
http://www.barnardltd.com/$spindb.query.theme.tdview.40.google.commercial_di splay_motors

bottom of the page, $65

Wayne

Fred R

The big box hobby shops, Michael's and Hobby Lobby around here, stock
music box mechanisms with various tunes. Pick one, bolt it in.
--
Fred R
________________

Emmo

Go to Goodwill and get an electric can opener and pull the motor out of it.
The last one I got cost me $2...

Or the motor from an electric alarm clock - $.75 for the last one I
bought...

Or even a music box, I think I saw one for about $4, but it was a wind up
one...

"Errol Groff" wrote in message
news

A friend of the wife who does a lot of machine embroidery recently
purchased plans for a 12" carousel. She has been looking for a
mechanism to power it (think music box mechanism?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find such a device?

Errol Groff

Gerald Miller

wrote:

A friend of the wife who does a lot of machine embroidery recently
purchased plans for a 12" carousel. She has been looking for a
mechanism to power it (think music box mechanism?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find such a device?

Errol Groff

Microwave turntable motor?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Don Foreman

wrote:

A friend of the wife who does a lot of machine embroidery recently
purchased plans for a 12" carousel. She has been looking for a
mechanism to power it (think music box mechanism?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find such a device?

What speed, what load, is electric OK? I see stuff like this every
now and then at AxMan surplus -- including music box mechanisms.

Today, AxMan had 11.4 RPM and 4.8 RPM motors, one was $3 and the other
$3.95. There were others (like 1 RPH) as well....

No spring-run motors today.

If you'd like one of these, zing me an email and I'll pick one up for
you. Figure another 3 bux or so for USPS postage.

Eject Mechanism on Sony Digicam - Please Help! Tilman Electronics Repair 4 April 14th 04 11:17 AM
Folding door mechanism PoP UK diy 3 February 12th 04 06:21 PM
Mechanical jamming problem with CD shuffle carrier mechanism Nigel Cook Electronics Repair 4 October 18th 03 03:20 PM
Toshiba SD-2805 5-disc carousel open/close tray mechanical problem Maren Electronics Repair 4 October 13th 03 03:36 PM
Nakamichi MB4-S - 7 Disc Music Bank System - Load Mechanism Fault David Longley Electronics Repair 0 August 15th 03 02:17 PM