Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CRT Monitor crackling (also when powered off)

Hi all,

As the subject says, my trusty Samsung 17" CRT has developed an
intermittent crackling noise, which would seem to come from the back area.

It's also present when the monitor is powered off, so I would think it has
something to do with the power supply circuitry.

Now i'm no electronics technician, but I do have a multimeter and a
soldering iron.. Does this sound something I can fix with a moderate amount
of effort (and without zapping myself)?

-Bob
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob:
While "meatplow's" reply to your posting was rather blunt and direct, his
assessment is absolutely correct... this is not something you are going to
be able to repair yourself given the information in your original posting.
If you want, you can do some more research by going to the website for this
newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
there, with some search time you will find a lot of relevant repair and
SAFETY information that will most certainly confirm the probability that
this is not a home DIY repair.
It may be time to take it to a shop for at the very least a repair cost
estimate or replace the monitor.
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
- - - - - - - -

"Bob Gray" wrote in message
. 109.144...
Hi all,

As the subject says, my trusty Samsung 17" CRT has developed an
intermittent crackling noise, which would seem to come from the back area.

It's also present when the monitor is powered off, so I would think it has
something to do with the power supply circuitry.

Now i'm no electronics technician, but I do have a multimeter and a
soldering iron.. Does this sound something I can fix with a moderate

amount
of effort (and without zapping myself)?

-Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Apr 24, 12:41 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:58:39 -0700, Sofie wrote:
Bob:
While "meatplow's" reply to your posting was rather blunt and direct, his
assessment is absolutely correct... this is not something you are going to
be able to repair yourself given the information in your original posting.
If you want, you can do some more research by going to the website for this
newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/

He asked a question that could be answered in one word. If he wanted to
know why the answer was no, I might have elaborated if I had the chance
to do so before someone else chimed in.

this is usenet. Nobody has the right to reserve a thread here.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sofie" writes:

Bob:
While "meatplow's" reply to your posting was rather blunt and direct, his
assessment is absolutely correct... this is not something you are going to
be able to repair yourself given the information in your original posting.
If you want, you can do some more research by going to the website for this
newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
there, with some search time you will find a lot of relevant repair and
SAFETY information that will most certainly confirm the probability that
this is not a home DIY repair.
It may be time to take it to a shop for at the very least a repair cost
estimate or replace the monitor.
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair

And should add that now it may not need more than having some solder
joints touched up joints. But if you let it go on like this, more
serious problems may occur.

"Bob Gray" wrote in message
. 109.144...
Hi all,

As the subject says, my trusty Samsung 17" CRT has developed an
intermittent crackling noise, which would seem to come from the back area.

It's also present when the monitor is powered off, so I would think it has
something to do with the power supply circuitry.

Now i'm no electronics technician, but I do have a multimeter and a
soldering iron.. Does this sound something I can fix with a moderate

amount
of effort (and without zapping myself)?

-Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 23, 7:41 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:13:38 -0700, b wrote:
On Apr 24, 12:41 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:58:39 -0700, Sofie wrote:
Bob:
While "meatplow's" reply to your posting was rather blunt and direct, his
assessment is absolutely correct... this is not something you are going to
be able to repair yourself given the information in your original posting.
If you want, you can do some more research by going to the website for this
newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/

He asked a question that could be answered in one word. If he wanted to
know why the answer was no, I might have elaborated if I had the chance
to do so before someone else chimed in.

Meat Plow (I wonder how you came up with that handle)
Do you try to be a cynical, rude, SOB, or does it come naturally.
In this short thread, you have been:
brutally direct with 'Bob Gray'
caustic with 'Sofie'
and cynical with 'b'
Why don't you sweeten up a little.
After I said this I am more than certain we will all see your true
nature come out with your reply to this posting of mine.
electricitym

this is usenet. Nobody has the right to reserve a thread here.

Next time you post, do it when you're sober.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794- Hide quoted text -

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23 Apr, 22:28, Bob Gray wrote:

Hi all,

As the subject says, my trusty Samsung 17" CRT has developed an
intermittent crackling noise, which would seem to come from the back area.

It's also present when the monitor is powered off, so I would think it has
something to do with the power supply circuitry.

Now i'm no electronics technician, but I do have a multimeter and a
soldering iron.. Does this sound something I can fix with a moderate amount
of effort (and without zapping myself)?

-Bob

If you have to ask that then no. But learning how to be safe in there
isnt hard, and the fault is fairly likely to be no more than a broken
solder connection on the power supply, which would be very repairable.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.radio.satellite,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres,alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers

On Apr 23, 2:28 pm, Bob Gray wrote:
Hi all,

Now i'm no electronics technician, but I do have a multimeter and a
soldering iron.. Does this sound something I can fix with a moderate amount
of effort (and without zapping myself)?

-Bob

What do you hope to accomplish with the soldering iron, multimeter and
technical knowledge?

Fixing your monitor? no.

Sticking the iron and meter up Sitre Magana's ass? Yes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Apr 24, 4:41 am, Meat Plow wrote:

this is usenet. Nobody has the right to reserve a thread here.

Next time you post, do it when you're sober.
--

Next time you post, leave that stupid and rude attitude behind.
(Incidentally, owing to kidney trouble, I don't drink)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 24 abr, 07:30, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:49:35 -0700, electricitym wrote:
On Apr 23, 7:41 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:13:38 -0700, b wrote:
On Apr 24, 12:41 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:58:39 -0700, Sofie wrote:
Bob:
While "meatplow's" reply to your posting was rather blunt and direct, his
assessment is absolutely correct... this is not something you are going to
be able to repair yourself given the information in your original posting.
If you want, you can do some more research by going to the website for this
newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/

He asked a question that could be answered in one word. If he wanted to
know why the answer was no, I might have elaborated if I had the chance
to do so before someone else chimed in.

Meat Plow (I wonder how you came up with that handle)

Meat Plow is the name of a song by a favorite rock band of mine

Do you try to be a cynical, rude, SOB, or does it come naturally.

Let's see, you thought you would be witty at my expense with a well known
"does it come naturally" wise crack like that. It's immensely hypocritical
of you to call me a Son Of A Bitch and in the same breath
preach to me about being cynical or rude. I should stop right here because
you just blew any credibility you might of had right out of the water but
I will continue and try to address the issues cite.

In this short thread, you have been:
brutally direct with 'Bob Gray'
caustic with 'Sofie'
and cynical with 'b'

b made an idiotic comment that I was somehow trying to "reserve a thread"
insinuating that I didn't know how Usenet functions.

Listen pal. You got all shirty because someone else 'chimed in' as you
put it, as if that were some private conversation. I repeat - this is
usenet. If you feel hard done to when others join in to a thread, then
your understanding of how this thing works is as limited as your
capacity for good manners. Keep a civil tongue in your head next time.

-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 26 abr, 01:09, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:26:23 -0700, b wrote:
[...]

Once again I'm getting a lecture on how Usenet "works" from a
condescending nitwit who doesn't know me from a hole in the ground
and can only make ASSumtions about my "capacity". My posting history dates
back to 1997, 10 years is plenty of time. You misunderstood what you
read and now backpedal to save some face. Don't nanny me on my tongue or
manners, I don't take kindly to pontificating pricks like you. You don't
like what you're reading, then don't read it. Trust me I won't lose one
nano-second of sleep if you never read another post of mine.- Ocultar texto de la cita -

- Mostrar texto de la cita -

Once again, we're getting treated to the joys of an emotionally
immature, foul mouthed poster with an inferiority complex, who feels
the sad need to justify his obnoxious posts with the meaningless
'fact' of having spent the last decade posting (quantity rather than
quality, judging by his recent rants). Meat Plow: Nobody here would
miss your bile filled responses. Back out of this now whilst you
still can without losing more face - by continually spewing out
insults, you are merely digging yourself into a hole and undermining
any credibility you think you have.

-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Meat Plow ha escrito:

Once again, we're getting treated to the joys of an emotionally
immature, foul mouthed poster with an inferiority complex, who feels
the sad need to justify his obnoxious posts with the meaningless
'fact' of having spent the last decade posting

"Once again we"? How many morons reside inside that thick skull of yours?
Never mind I got it. You're SER's spokesperson aren't you. You think you
speak for everyone you pompous, pontificating asshole. Add to that you're
a Google groups user trying to educate someone who started posting to
Usenet using SLRN out of a Unix shell and you become the complete ****ing
idiotic package.

(quantity rather than
quality, judging by his recent rants). Meat Plow: Nobody here would
miss your bile filled responses. Back out of this now whilst you
still can without losing more face - by continually spewing out
insults, you are merely digging yourself into a hole and undermining
any credibility you think you have.

You know I wish a had a dollar for each time I've seen someone use the
"miss your responses", "losing face" and "credibility" bull**** spins.
Bottom line, I don't give a flying **** what you or anyone else thinks
about me so keep that in mind before you reply with more of your
condescending self-righteous insults you ****ing hypocrite. You don't like
what you read, then don't read it if your bloated ego will let you ignore
my headers. If you lack the courage to do that then filter my headers you
bloated, gas-bag ****wit.

ROFL. If you 'don't give a flying **** what anyone thinks', then why
bother to respond?
Truly pitiful, attention seeking drivel. Go away silly boy, you lost
your temper and hence the argument. This bunfight has gone on long
enough!
-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Apr 27, 4:44 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:26:00 -0700, b wrote:

Meat Plow ha escrito:

[...]

Just to poke a pointy stick at a moronic ****wit like you and watch you
dance

Truly pitiful, attention seeking drivel.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahah you think I need your attention?

Go away silly boy,

Raising the white flag so soon? hahahahahah

you lost your temper

Yet more idiotic ASSumptions, net-tard. I'm playing with your bloated ego.
If I were angered by the sheer thousands of you self-appeasing
nincompoops, I would have smashed my PC long ago.

and hence the argument.

There was never an argument since you never had a point to argue.

This bunfight has gone on long enough!

There was never a fight, trust me you don't have it in you.

heh

My my, we are getting tetchy aren't we?!
Now you really are revealing your true colours - a troll pure and
simple, spending your sad little life attempting to bait people on the
internet. I pity you. You are simply confirming this fact, plus your
total immaturity, with every one of your nonsensical posts.
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.radio.satellite,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres,alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers

"Malissa Baldwin" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 23, 2:28 pm, Bob Gray wrote:
Hi all,

Now i'm no electronics technician, but I do have a multimeter and a
soldering iron.. Does this sound something I can fix with a moderate
amount
of effort (and without zapping myself)?

-Bob

What do you hope to accomplish with the soldering iron, multimeter and
technical knowledge?

Fixing your monitor? no.

Sticking the iron and meter up Sitre Magana's ass? Yes.

Bob ,
Did you ever open it up and clean it? Its probably high voltage
arcing over . You can try to clean it, but first you should read
the manual. You have to, of course pull the plug, wait a few minutes,
then open it up. Also, you might have to discharge the high voltage.
Being careful, do not move or bent anything, use a small vacuum, to
suck out all the dirt.
P.S. The high voltage can still be there with the power off, and the plug
pulled! Careful!

My 2 cents worth!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

You need to get over yourself, you're no better than anyone else, trust me.