Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I've just broken my CRT monitor, now I'm worried...

Hi,

I've just dropped my CRT monitor while moving house. I powered it up to
see if it still worked. It made a loud electrical buzzing sound and
sparked inside at the back.

Before I dumped it in the bin I thought I'd have a peek inside to see
if I thought it was repairable. The clear glass at the very back of the
CRT had shattered, I think around the electron gun/heater - so I guess
it ain't repairable!

Since then I've read bits about lead-lined glass and x-rays, so I'm
worried.....

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've just dropped my CRT monitor while moving house. I powered it up to
see if it still worked. It made a loud electrical buzzing sound and
sparked inside at the back.

Before I dumped it in the bin I thought I'd have a peek inside to see
if I thought it was repairable. The clear glass at the very back of the
CRT had shattered, I think around the electron gun/heater - so I guess
it ain't repairable!

Since then I've read bits about lead-lined glass and x-rays, so I'm
worried.....

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

Thanks.

Have any of your limbs dropped off yet?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Kiss your ass goodbye. 24 hours to live at maximum, no known cure.

;-)

No, not really. No problem, unless you insist to try again, and places
your hand inside the broken glass tube while you power up.

Heh, thanks for the reassurance. Out of curiosity - what is the broken
part that I described - the electron gun?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6 Nov 2006 11:53:06 -0800, "mwpmorris" wrote:

Kiss your ass goodbye. 24 hours to live at maximum, no known cure.

;-)

No, not really. No problem, unless you insist to try again, and places
your hand inside the broken glass tube while you power up.

Heh, thanks for the reassurance. Out of curiosity - what is the broken
part that I described - the electron gun?

The metal parts you probably saw is the electron gun, the whole glass
unit is the picture tube.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6 Nov 2006 11:53:06 -0800, "mwpmorris" wrote:

Kiss your ass goodbye. 24 hours to live at maximum, no known cure.

;-)

No, not really. No problem, unless you insist to try again, and places
your hand inside the broken glass tube while you power up.

Heh, thanks for the reassurance. Out of curiosity - what is the broken
part that I described - the electron gun?

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_crtfaq.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Well my foot hurts a bit. I'm guessing that's from when I dropped the
monitor on it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mwpmorris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well my foot hurts a bit. I'm guessing that's from when I dropped the
monitor on it.

In that case all you have to fear is the psychotic paranoid
environmentalists who've made it fashionable to fear everything.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mwpmorris wrote:
Well my foot hurts a bit. I'm guessing that's from when I dropped

the
monitor on it.

Nah. the pain is from when the vacuum fell out on your foot.

GG

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
mwpmorris wrote:
Well my foot hurts a bit. I'm guessing that's from when I dropped

the
monitor on it.

Nah. the pain is from when the vacuum fell out on your foot.

GG

No it didn't - vacuum floats because its lighter than air.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mwpmorris wrote:

Well my foot hurts a bit. I'm guessing that's from when I dropped the
monitor on it.

No thats a pain in your wallet ! The insurance Co should take care of
that !

--
Baron:
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

Other than maybe some trace amounts of ozone that might have generated by
the arcing...no.

If you think you came into contact with any broken glass, the best thing to
do would be to wash your hands. That should take care of most anything that
would come out of a monitor.

I'm surprised that the monitor broke like that. It seems the most common
damage from a drop is a dislodged shadow mask, which usually messes up the
colors on the screen. As an aside, I once lost ahold of an IBM 8513 and it
fell down a flight of stairs. It made an awful racket going down the stairs,
but was fine apart from some scuffing when I picked it up and checked it
out. I can only guess that the small tube size (12") might have been what
saved the shadow mask in that monitor from popping loose or distorting.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
mwpmorris wrote:
Well my foot hurts a bit. I'm guessing that's from when I dropped

the
monitor on it.

Nah. the pain is from when the vacuum fell out on your foot.

GG

No it didn't - vacuum floats because its lighter than air.

Only in the Northern Hemishere.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

William R. Walsh ha escrito:

Hi!

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

Other than maybe some trace amounts of ozone that might have generated by
the arcing...no.

If you think you came into contact with any broken glass, the best thing to
do would be to wash your hands. That should take care of most anything that
would come out of a monitor.

I'm surprised that the monitor broke like that. It seems the most common
damage from a drop is a dislodged shadow mask, which usually messes up the
colors on the screen.

i think it depends on how it falls,from which height and what it lands
on. I dropped a 14" monitor on one front corner onto a concrrete floor
from waist height last year, and the tube neck cracked as the yoke's
weight may have been too much.... made a pretty fire work display round
the tube neck area for about 5 minutes when connected up ;-)
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

mm ha escrito:

On 6 Nov 2006 10:59:49 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I've just dropped my CRT monitor while moving house. I powered it up to
see if it still worked. It made a loud electrical buzzing sound and
sparked inside at the back.

Before I dumped it in the bin I thought I'd have a peek inside to see
if I thought it was repairable. The clear glass at the very back of the
CRT had shattered, I think around the electron gun/heater - so I guess
it ain't repairable!

Since then I've read bits about lead-lined glass and x-rays, so I'm
worried.....

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No. You're fine.

It's no big loss either because there are loads of used monitors
running around for 5 dollars or less.

After the AT I bought used with a monitor, the next and better one was
one I found in the woods lying in the snow. The uppper corner was
broken and it may have been thrown from a car on the road nearby, or
at least pushed down the little hill. I let it dry for 3 or 4 days
and it lasted for 6 years or more. I wanted to know the specs, before
there was much of a web, and I called NEC and eventually I told her
that I found the monitor in the woods, and she didn't mind at all.
She said they still support their products.

Thanks.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

I'm currently using a sony e-200 trinitron found tossed in a skip and
full of water. drained, dried and cleaned her out, changed some caps
and works like a champ 7 months later.
-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"b" writes:

[...]

I'm currently using a Dell/Sony Trinitron that I found in the trash.
I also have a spare the needed a capacitor replaced. I prefer these over
the much newer LCD that's sitting nearby.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Sam Goldwasser ha escrito:

"b" writes:

[...]

I was in an electronics store a few months back and they had a number
of monitors there. some fairly decent used crt monitors and a few new
LCDs. they were all displaying the same - a black background with a
digital clock readout in green numbers. The lcds had this horrible,
smeary sort of colour-bleed aura around the numbers. The CRTS were
ultra sharp in comparison. At a third of the price!
some people will put up with all kinds of crap just to save a few
inches of room on their desks....
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

B,
I'm trying to put back my Sony TV, I pulled the flyback board and had
to unplug the high-votage wires.
Problem is I can't remeber for sure which one goes where.
The fat red one (with the suction cup) is obvious, but the other two
I'm having a problem with. One goes to the CRT board socket, the other
goes to a connector soldered right to the board.
How can I trace them back from the flyback board?
One is red and the other is white. I think the white one goes to the
connector.
The red one to the socket.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

On Nov 7, 3:37 pm, "b" wrote:
[...]

-B- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly?
I'd be a little worried about that possbility.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Flyguy" wrote in message
Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly? I'd
be a little worried about that possbility.

Do you have any technical info sources that show mercury was ever used in
getters?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Flyguy wrote:
Homer J Simpson wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly?
I'd be a little worried about that possbility.

Mercury is not good for you, but contacting it once in your life won't
hurt anything. I wonder sometimes about those compact fluorescent lamps
that so often end up in the trash, every one of them contains mercury.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"ian field" writes:

"Flyguy" wrote in message
> [...]
Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly? I'd
be a little worried about that possbility.

Do you have any technical info sources that show mercury was ever used in
getters?

I doubt it. Mercury is not that reactive. He's probably just thinking
of the shiny getter coating and associating it with mercury.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet writes:

Flyguy wrote:
Homer J Simpson wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly?
I'd be a little worried about that possbility.

Mercury is not good for you, but contacting it once in your life won't
hurt anything. I wonder sometimes about those compact fluorescent lamps
that so often end up in the trash, every one of them contains mercury.

How many of us have played with liquid mercury as kids?

Please stand up (if you still can).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"ian field" writes:

"Flyguy" wrote in message
> [...]
Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly?
I'd
be a little worried about that possbility.

Do you have any technical info sources that show mercury was ever used in
getters?

I doubt it. Mercury is not that reactive. He's probably just thinking
of the shiny getter coating and associating it with mercury.

Would it be any good for making a thyratron though?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
James Sweet writes:

Flyguy wrote:
Homer J Simpson wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly?
I'd be a little worried about that possbility.

Mercury is not good for you, but contacting it once in your life won't
hurt anything. I wonder sometimes about those compact fluorescent lamps
that so often end up in the trash, every one of them contains mercury.

How many of us have played with liquid mercury as kids?

How many people are "mad as a hatter" today?!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:

How many people are "mad as a hatter" today?!

On, or off usenet?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"ian field" writes:

"Flyguy" wrote in message
> [...]

Homer J Simpson wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly? I'd
be a little worried about that possbility.

Do you have any technical info sources that show mercury was ever used in
getters?

I doubt it. Mercury is not that reactive. He's probably just thinking
of the shiny getter coating and associating it with mercury.

I got my vacuum technology mixed up. Mercury is used in some kinds of
vacuum pumps. Barium is the most used material for a vacuum tube getter.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Flyguy" wrote in message
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"ian field" writes:

"Flyguy" wrote in message
> [...]

Homer J Simpson wrote:

wrote in message
glegroups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly?
I'd be a little worried about that possbility.

Do you have any technical info sources that show mercury was ever used in
getters?

I doubt it. Mercury is not that reactive. He's probably just thinking
of the shiny getter coating and associating it with mercury.

I got my vacuum technology mixed up. Mercury is used in some kinds of
vacuum pumps. Barium is the most used material for a vacuum tube getter.

You might be thinking of barium and/or strontium cathode emissive coatings.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Flyguy writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"ian field" writes:

"Flyguy" wrote in message
> [...]

Homer J Simpson wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No.

Do they still use mercury to flash the getter in the CRT gun assembly? I'd
be a little worried about that possbility.

Do you have any technical info sources that show mercury was ever used in
getters?

I doubt it. Mercury is not that reactive. He's probably just thinking
of the shiny getter coating and associating it with mercury.

I got my vacuum technology mixed up. Mercury is used in some kinds of
vacuum pumps. Barium is the most used material for a vacuum tube getter.

Right. Older diffusion pumps used mercury. Newer ones use special low
vapor pressure oils. But both types are rather obsolete now.

How to clean up broken glass in a dish-washer [email protected] Home Repair 11 August 8th 19 01:49 AM
How to clean up broken glass in a dish-washer [email protected] Home Ownership 9 August 7th 19 07:14 PM
broken sprinkler head geysers [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 25th 05 08:31 PM
Broken Window Syndrome RedOnRed UK diy 1 July 12th 05 07:48 PM
Etching out broken taps & drills. John Metalworking 15 June 29th 05 12:02 AM