Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default I've just broken my CRT monitor, now I'm worried...

Sam Goldwasser ha escrito:

"b" writes:

mm ha escrito:

On 6 Nov 2006 10:59:49 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I've just dropped my CRT monitor while moving house. I powered it up to
see if it still worked. It made a loud electrical buzzing sound and
sparked inside at the back.

Before I dumped it in the bin I thought I'd have a peek inside to see
if I thought it was repairable. The clear glass at the very back of the
CRT had shattered, I think around the electron gun/heater - so I guess
it ain't repairable!

Since then I've read bits about lead-lined glass and x-rays, so I'm
worried.....

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

No. You're fine.

It's no big loss either because there are loads of used monitors
running around for 5 dollars or less.

After the AT I bought used with a monitor, the next and better one was
one I found in the woods lying in the snow. The uppper corner was
broken and it may have been thrown from a car on the road nearby, or
at least pushed down the little hill. I let it dry for 3 or 4 days
and it lasted for 6 years or more. I wanted to know the specs, before
there was much of a web, and I called NEC and eventually I told her
that I found the monitor in the woods, and she didn't mind at all.
She said they still support their products.

Thanks.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

I'm currently using a sony e-200 trinitron found tossed in a skip and
full of water. drained, dried and cleaned her out, changed some caps
and works like a champ 7 months later.

I'm currently using a Dell/Sony Trinitron that I found in the trash.
I also have a spare the needed a capacitor replaced. I prefer these over
the much newer LCD that's sitting nearby.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

I was in an electronics store a few months back and they had a number
of monitors there. some fairly decent used crt monitors and a few new
LCDs. they were all displaying the same - a black background with a
digital clock readout in green numbers. The lcds had this horrible,
smeary sort of colour-bleed aura around the numbers. The CRTS were
ultra sharp in comparison. At a third of the price!
some people will put up with all kinds of crap just to save a few
inches of room on their desks....
-B.