Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default I've just broken my CRT monitor, now I'm worried...

ha escrito:

Hi,

I've just dropped my CRT monitor while moving house. I powered it up to
see if it still worked. It made a loud electrical buzzing sound and
sparked inside at the back.

Before I dumped it in the bin I thought I'd have a peek inside to see
if I thought it was repairable. The clear glass at the very back of the
CRT had shattered, I think around the electron gun/heater - so I guess
it ain't repairable!

Since then I've read bits about lead-lined glass and x-rays, so I'm
worried.....

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

Thanks.

not likely to be any health risks from powering it up in that state.
now get on your local freecycle and get another monitor! sure you could
give one a good (new) home.
-B