Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default I've just broken my CRT monitor, now I'm worried...

Hi!

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

Other than maybe some trace amounts of ozone that might have generated by
the arcing...no.

If you think you came into contact with any broken glass, the best thing to
do would be to wash your hands. That should take care of most anything that
would come out of a monitor.

I'm surprised that the monitor broke like that. It seems the most common
damage from a drop is a dislodged shadow mask, which usually messes up the
colors on the screen. As an aside, I once lost ahold of an IBM 8513 and it
fell down a flight of stairs. It made an awful racket going down the stairs,
but was fine apart from some scuffing when I picked it up and checked it
out. I can only guess that the small tube size (12") might have been what
saved the shadow mask in that monitor from popping loose or distorting.

William