Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default I've just broken my CRT monitor, now I'm worried...

William R. Walsh ha escrito:

Hi!

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside
the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

Other than maybe some trace amounts of ozone that might have generated by
the arcing...no.

If you think you came into contact with any broken glass, the best thing to
do would be to wash your hands. That should take care of most anything that
would come out of a monitor.

I'm surprised that the monitor broke like that. It seems the most common
damage from a drop is a dislodged shadow mask, which usually messes up the
colors on the screen.

i think it depends on how it falls,from which height and what it lands
on. I dropped a 14" monitor on one front corner onto a concrrete floor
from waist height last year, and the tube neck cracked as the yoke's
weight may have been too much.... made a pretty fire work display round
the tube neck area for about 5 minutes when connected up ;-)
-B.