Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default CRT Monitor crackling (also when powered off)

"Sofie" writes:

Bob:
While "meatplow's" reply to your posting was rather blunt and direct, his
assessment is absolutely correct... this is not something you are going to
be able to repair yourself given the information in your original posting.
If you want, you can do some more research by going to the website for this
newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
there, with some search time you will find a lot of relevant repair and
SAFETY information that will most certainly confirm the probability that
this is not a home DIY repair.
It may be time to take it to a shop for at the very least a repair cost
estimate or replace the monitor.
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair

And should add that now it may not need more than having some solder
joints touched up joints. But if you let it go on like this, more
serious problems may occur.

"Bob Gray" wrote in message
. 109.144...
Hi all,

As the subject says, my trusty Samsung 17" CRT has developed an
intermittent crackling noise, which would seem to come from the back area.

It's also present when the monitor is powered off, so I would think it has
something to do with the power supply circuitry.

Now i'm no electronics technician, but I do have a multimeter and a
soldering iron.. Does this sound something I can fix with a moderate

amount
of effort (and without zapping myself)?

-Bob