Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.radio.satellite,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres,alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Andy Andy is offline

Default CRT Monitor crackling (also when powered off)

"Malissa Baldwin" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 23, 2:28 pm, Bob Gray wrote:
Hi all,

Now i'm no electronics technician, but I do have a multimeter and a
soldering iron.. Does this sound something I can fix with a moderate
amount
of effort (and without zapping myself)?

-Bob

What do you hope to accomplish with the soldering iron, multimeter and
technical knowledge?

Fixing your monitor? no.

Sticking the iron and meter up Sitre Magana's ass? Yes.

Bob ,
Did you ever open it up and clean it? Its probably high voltage
arcing over . You can try to clean it, but first you should read
the manual. You have to, of course pull the plug, wait a few minutes,
then open it up. Also, you might have to discharge the high voltage.
Being careful, do not move or bent anything, use a small vacuum, to
suck out all the dirt.
P.S. The high voltage can still be there with the power off, and the plug
pulled! Careful!

My 2 cents worth!