Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default people and their television

Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sitre Magana wrote:

Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

The same reason that people like you use Google Groups. They don't
know any better.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell ha escrito:

Sitre Magana wrote:

Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

The same reason that people like you use Google Groups. They don't
know any better.

SNIP

Believe it or not, not all the ISPīs outside USA supply direct access
to newsgroups, because they consider that setting up a newsgroup
service is a waste of time and money, so the only way for those persons
which donīt have a newsgroup server readily available is to access the
USENET via Google Groups. I donīt see nor I understand whatīs the
problem with some USENET users who are always bashing out Google
Newsgroups. Internet is constantly evolving, and USENET isnīt the
exception. Itīs up to you to accept it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Believe it or not, not all the ISPīs outside USA supply direct access
to newsgroups, because they consider that setting up a newsgroup
service is a waste of time and money, so the only way for those persons
which donīt have a newsgroup server readily available is to access the
USENET via Google Groups. I donīt see nor I understand whatīs the
problem with some USENET users who are always bashing out Google
Newsgroups. Internet is constantly evolving, and USENET isnīt the
exception. Itīs up to you to accept it.

Well, it is a frequency problem ... MANY inane and inappropriate posts
arrive via Google Newsgroups.

If 8 out of 10 white dogs that you have encountered have bitten your ankle,
how would you feel about white dogs?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"lsmartino" wrote in message
ups.com...

: Believe it or not, not all the ISPīs outside USA supply direct access
to newsgroups, because they consider that setting up a newsgroup
service is a waste of time and money, so the only way for those persons
which donīt have a newsgroup server readily available is to access the
USENET via Google Groups. I donīt see nor I understand whatīs the
problem with some USENET users who are always bashing out Google
Newsgroups. Internet is constantly evolving, and USENET isnīt the
exception. Itīs up to you to accept it.

How do they get binary groups?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sitre Magana wrote:

Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

The same reason that people like you use Google Groups. They don't
know any better.

SNIP

Believe it or not, not all the ISPīs outside USA supply direct access
to newsgroups, because they consider that setting up a newsgroup
service is a waste of time and money, so the only way for those persons
which donīt have a newsgroup server readily available is to access the
USENET via Google Groups. I donīt see nor I understand whatīs the
problem with some USENET users who are always bashing out Google
Newsgroups. Internet is constantly evolving, and USENET isnīt the
exception. Itīs up to you to accept it.

No, no more than I have to accept any other bad things I encounter.
There are dozens, maybe hundreds of free Usenet servers available,
worldwide. In fact there are some not available to the US. Most
messages posted from Google are rude, ignorant or just a complete waste
of time. Most of the spam on newsgroups that I see is posted through
Google because the morons don't realize their IP address is hidden in
the headers. I had one idiot complaining that I was exposing his email
address when I replied, and he wouldn't believe that it is the norm,
outside of Google. I have had some moron stalking me, via Google and
free email accounts for several years. He has made threatening phone
calls as well.

I am brushing up on my C++ programming to see if I can fix some bugs
in a proxy news filter program to download, and examine all the
newsgroups I read, then delete anything from certain IP address blocks.
it will become a local news server for my needs, available to any
computer on my network.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson ha escrito:

How do they get binary groups?

No access to binary groups. As simple as that :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler ha escrito:

Well, it is a frequency problem ... MANY inane and inappropriate posts
arrive via Google Newsgroups.

If 8 out of 10 white dogs that you have encountered have bitten your ankle,
how would you feel about white dogs?

OK, I see your point. But also, you can get robbed as soon as you hit
the street, and because of that you wonīt lock yourself inside your
home ;-) The point here is not if Google Groups is a good idea or not,
but an educational one. If someone doesnīt make an appropiate use of
them, itīs a cultural one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"lsmartino" wrote in message
ups.com...

Charles Schuler ha escrito:

Well, it is a frequency problem ... MANY inane and inappropriate posts
arrive via Google Newsgroups.

If 8 out of 10 white dogs that you have encountered have bitten your
ankle,
how would you feel about white dogs?

OK, I see your point. But also, you can get robbed as soon as you hit
the street, and because of that you wonīt lock yourself inside your
home ;-) The point here is not if Google Groups is a good idea or not,
but an educational one.

Sorry, but that lost me. Are you implying that readers of newsgroups need
to be better informed and should quit bitching about annoyances?

If someone doesnīt make an appropiate use of

them, itīs a cultural one.

Again, I am clueless as to what your point is. No acrimony here, by the
way. You made a point about access for others via Google and I simply tried
to point out the source of irriation for many of us. I am open to other
cultures since I fully realize that mine is shaky.

No big deal ... we all have deal with life or cash out!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell ha escrito:

No, no more than I have to accept any other bad things I encounter.
There are dozens, maybe hundreds of free Usenet servers available,
worldwide.

Ok, I would like to know more about these servers. I have tested some
of them in the past but I often found them too slow to be useful.
Sometimes they didnīt have this newsgroup listed, for instance.

I used to visit this website http://home.snafu.de/hweede/pulin.htm to
get some free servers, and usually the outcome was: A) I could read
everything but I couldnīt not make a post because my IP was rejected
by the server, or B) The server was too slow that sometimes it lasted a
full week without updating, or the discussion threads loaded
incomplete.

In fact there are some not available to the US. Most
messages posted from Google are rude, ignorant or just a complete waste
of time. Most of the spam on newsgroups that I see is posted through
Google because the morons don't realize their IP address is hidden in
the headers. I had one idiot complaining that I was exposing his email
address when I replied, and he wouldn't believe that it is the norm,
outside of Google. I have had some moron stalking me, via Google and
free email accounts for several years. He has made threatening phone
calls as well.

Just remember that not all users are like that. You had bad luck and
you are right to be complaining, but I think human stupidity isnīt a
exclusive characteristic of any access mean to internet, instead itīs
comes with the user. Moderated discussion forums are usually frequented
by morons too, but that doesnīt make these forums useless.

I am brushing up on my C++ programming to see if I can fix some bugs
in a proxy news filter program to download, and examine all the
newsgroups I read, then delete anything from certain IP address blocks.
it will become a local news server for my needs, available to any
computer on my network.

Good luck with the programming!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler ha escrito:

"lsmartino" wrote in message

bout white dogs?

OK, I see your point. But also, you can get robbed as soon as you hit
the street, and because of that you wonīt lock yourself inside your
home ;-) The point here is not if Google Groups is a good idea or not,
but an educational one.

Sorry, but that lost me. Are you implying that readers of newsgroups need
to be better informed and should quit bitching about annoyances?

If someone doesnīt make an appropiate use of

them, itīs a cultural one.

Again, I am clueless as to what your point is. No acrimony here, by the
way. You made a point about access for others via Google and I simply tried
to point out the source of irriation for many of us. I am open to other
cultures since I fully realize that mine is shaky.

No big deal ... we all have deal with life or cash out!

I see that what I wrote wasnīt quite clearly understandable. As you
probably noted by now English is not my native language. The point I
tried to make was this: Google Groups is just a means of access to
USENET. The use (or abuse) of it doesnīt make it necessarily good or
bad in itself, at least I believe that. Of course it should be
improved, and I think that this has the potential to be a great way to
make USENET more accesible.

Also I just wanted to point that some posters like myself doesnīt have
another way to access USENET if not through Google Groups, and that
doesnīt make us morons, idiots or retarded. Itīs simply a matter of
availability, and for those of us who consider USENET groups useful but
we donīt have a good nntp server available, Google Groups is the best
we have at hand.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"lsmartino" wrote in message
ups.com...

: Also I just wanted to point that some posters like myself doesnīt have
another way to access USENET if not through Google Groups, and that
doesnīt make us morons, idiots or retarded. Itīs simply a matter of
availability, and for those of us who consider USENET groups useful but
we donīt have a good nntp server available, Google Groups is the best
we have at hand.

It's certainly better than AOL.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"lsmartino" wrote in message
ups.com...

: Ok, I would like to know more about these servers. I have tested some
of them in the past but I often found them too slow to be useful.
Sometimes they didnīt have this newsgroup listed, for instance.

Try a free read only server and use Google to post or post via email.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Sitre Magana wrote:
Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

The same reason that people like you use Google Groups. They don't
know any better.

SNIP

Believe it or not, not all the ISPīs outside USA supply direct access
to newsgroups, because they consider that setting up a newsgroup
service is a waste of time and money, so the only way for those persons
which donīt have a newsgroup server readily available is to access the
USENET via Google Groups. I donīt see nor I understand whatīs the
problem with some USENET users who are always bashing out Google
Newsgroups. Internet is constantly evolving, and USENET isnīt the
exception. Itīs up to you to accept it.

There are lots of NNTP services out there and very reasonably priced.
In fact, some are even free as in the case of the one I use.

I regularly find people who post via Google Groups and don't even know
that they can get USENET through their ISP.

Regards
Lee in Toronto
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Lee wrote:

There are lots of NNTP services out there and very reasonably priced.
In fact, some are even free as in the case of the one I use.

I regularly find people who post via Google Groups and don't even know
that they can get USENET through their ISP.

Regards
Lee in Toronto

I am 1000000 % sure that there is no nntp server available through my
ISP. There are just two ISPīs in my country which have nntp servers
available to their customers, and these ISPīs arenīt broadband. I
wonīt switch back from broadband to dialup because of that, nor I see
why I would want to pay for nntp access if I can get what I want using
Google Groups.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

lsmartino wrote:

Michael A. Terrell ha escrito:

No, no more than I have to accept any other bad things I encounter.
There are dozens, maybe hundreds of free Usenet servers available,
worldwide.

Ok, I would like to know more about these servers. I have tested some
of them in the past but I often found them too slow to be useful.
Sometimes they didnīt have this newsgroup listed, for instance.

I used to visit this website http://home.snafu.de/hweede/pulin.htm to
get some free servers, and usually the outcome was: A) I could read
everything but I couldnīt not make a post because my IP was rejected
by the server, or B) The server was too slow that sometimes it lasted a
full week without updating, or the discussion threads loaded
incomplete.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Thanks for the info, you win :-) I went there and found this free server:
nntp.aioe.org

It appears to be working fine. Iīm typing this using a news reader called
"Xnews" which I just downloaded... if anyone happens to know about a better
one, iīm all ears.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee Lee is offline

lsmartino wrote:
Lee wrote:

There are lots of NNTP services out there and very reasonably priced.
In fact, some are even free as in the case of the one I use.

I regularly find people who post via Google Groups and don't even know
that they can get USENET through their ISP.

Regards
Lee in Toronto

I am 1000000 % sure that there is no nntp server available through my
ISP. There are just two ISPīs in my country which have nntp servers
available to their customers, and these ISPīs arenīt broadband. I
wonīt switch back from broadband to dialup because of that, nor I see
why I would want to pay for nntp access if I can get what I want using
Google Groups.

Then why don't you set up an account (free) with www.motzarella.org?
You don't have to change ISP's for this.
Regards
Lee
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Lee wrote in news:emngsp$v1s$2
@registered.motzarella.org:

Then why don't you set up an account (free) with www.motzarella.org?
You don't have to change ISP's for this.
Regards
Lee

Well, actually iīm trying a different approach. You can see an earlier post
in this thread by Michael Terrel where it send me to a different group
named news:alt.free.newsservers I went there and found a working free nntp
server. I downloaded a copy of Xnews (a free newsgroup reader) and now Iīm
all set.

In any case, thanks for your suggestion.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

There are dozens, maybe hundreds of free Usenet servers available,
worldwide.

Hmm...they seem content to hide from me. I am fortunate enough that my ISP
still *does* provide a real news server to its subscribers. I hear that
plenty do not, and of those that do, many do not offer access to binary
groups. (Mine does, at least to the one I visit, but posts are extremely
short lived.)

In fact there are some not available to the US.

Maybe that is why. Hmmm, again.

However, sometimes, and possibly due to the limitations above with regard to
finding other freely accessible news servers, Google Groups is my only
option when I'm away from home.

Now, I understand that some people might not like my posts or what I have to
say, which is OK. They certainly have the authority to make that decision.
But I really disagree with those who block everything coming from Google
Groups, because they may never see a question I asked or an opportunity to
help. It's their loss, I guess.

For that one reason, and because a lot of people are having to turn to
Google Groups, I would urge you to *not* block posters from there. Setting
up some filtering logic in your software to get most of the bozos and
garbage would be more complicated, but it might be time well spent. :-)

Of course, that's just my opinion on the matter.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William R. Walsh" wrote:

Hi!

[...]

That would be easy if they didn't keep changing their screen name and
email address. That is why I want to filter by IP address. If they are
on DSL or Cable, then they are always on the same IP address, until
their ISP changes it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Because they don't know any better!

--

JANA
_____

"Sitre Magana" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

lsmartino wrote:

Believe it or not, not all the ISPīs outside USA supply direct access
to newsgroups, because they consider that setting up a newsgroup
service is a waste of time and money, so the only way for those
persons which donīt have a newsgroup server readily available is to
access the USENET via Google Groups. I donīt see nor I understand
whatīs the problem with some USENET users who are always bashing out
Google Newsgroups. Internet is constantly evolving, and USENET isnīt
the exception. Itīs up to you to accept it.

Because they try to do Usenet Analog .

You must have a strong digital series. Which means a tough Computer
(which puts the com), a diversive Usenet Editor/Reader and that all at
best offline, to prevent lame hurried replies and posts.

Online-Reader User, tend to fall forward in Time... Hurrying, one way,
etc etc...
Like thinking, yeah the tech is available... so you have to use it.
I guess a 1200baud line is still plenty for Usenet-conform snipped,
replied and posted text. TEXT!!!! I go (FAR) for over 100Kbit digital,
with my leased line, although I have only real 64000baud. What do you
say now??? Is this a good use of my archiving/dearchiving-wonder
P3-machine ???. I have to say my ISP is packeting (compressing) as
well, of course!

[Real time compressor---- DSL and other crank stuff which sends about
ISDN-Speed, KB's of Data into my PC all the time, is just LAME for me,
nor do they or cannot compress. That is modern????]

Throwaway Society.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In my experience, when someone asks me about fixing
something, it's because it's "shorted"... or a fuse.
Or both: "maybe the fuse is shorted."

Sitre Magana wrote:
Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sitre Magana wrote:
Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

I just smile and tell them that it has to be replaced, because you
can't lengthen it. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Also I just wanted to point that some posters like myself doesnīt have
another way to access USENET if not through Google Groups, and that
doesnīt make us morons, idiots or retarded. Itīs simply a matter of
availability, and for those of us who consider USENET groups useful but
we donīt have a good nntp server available, Google Groups is the best
we have at hand.

Can't argue with that.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:

Also I just wanted to point that some posters like myself doesnīt have
another way to access USENET if not through Google Groups, and that
doesnīt make us morons, idiots or retarded. Itīs simply a matter of
availability, and for those of us who consider USENET groups useful
but we donīt have a good nntp server available, Google Groups is the
best we have at hand.

Can't argue with that.

Hi Charles!

retarded... I have not read that for a period of time ;-)

It's just a point of view. When someone say retard to you, it is the
same as he/she would write about him/herself, from your point of view.
What actually means, you may not step left nor right here, without
his/her (it?) allowance ;-)

Moron? you said so...

Idiots? I haven't wrote....

Best regards,

Daniel Mandic
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday 25 December 2006 07:21, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

That would be easy if they didn't keep changing their screen name and
email address. That is why I want to filter by IP address. If they are
on DSL or Cable, then they are always on the same IP address, until
their ISP changes it.

Some cable or xDSL providers use dynamic addresses as well. My cable ISP is
going to as well.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

When I was in TV service it was the other way around - customers always
tried to let me know it WASN'T the tube before I started looking at it,
eg "it can't be the pictue tube - it was going fine yesterday"

David

Sitre Magana wrote:

Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sitre Magana wrote:

Why is it that when people's televisions **** up they always assume
it's the tube?

I had a woman call the shop in the '70s and want to know what it
would cost "Just to refill the red paint, because everything else was
OK". She didn't believe that a picture tube could lose just one color,
so "It had to be out of paint".

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell