Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD TV's at Target

Anyone ever hear of "Truetech" ?

Seems that Target is selling a lot of
inexpensive (relatively speaking compared
to more well known manufacturers) LCD
TV's made by companies I've never even
heard of.

Conventional wisdom is don't buy one
unless I'm willing to throw away the unit
when it fails (lack of tech manuals, lack
of parts, made in China, etc).

Just wondering if anyone has experience
servicing those cheap no name brand LCD TV's ?
(we're talking like 32" sets for say $499,
while comparable Sony's are almost double
that).

My inclination is to purchase one made by
Magnavox - any thoughts regarding them ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Stewie" wrote in message

Anyone ever hear of "Truetech" ?

Seems that Target is selling a lot of
inexpensive (relatively speaking compared
to more well known manufacturers) LCD
TV's made by companies I've never even
heard of.

Conventional wisdom is don't buy one
unless I'm willing to throw away the unit
when it fails (lack of tech manuals, lack
of parts, made in China, etc).

Just wondering if anyone has experience
servicing those cheap no name brand LCD TV's ?
(we're talking like 32" sets for say $499,
while comparable Sony's are almost double
that).

My inclination is to purchase one made by
Magnavox - any thoughts regarding them ?

You are just as likely to get a useful product from Truetech. Magnavox is
just a name applied to another set made by a cheap vendor.

What $499 32" set have you seen that is comparable to the Sony? Which model
Sony? Comparable how? Size?

Sony has some exceptional LCD sets right now. The crap that I have seen for
$499 is not even close.

Leonard

It has removed 18156 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There is no way you can compare a no-name brand type of TV set to another
one that comes from a quality manufacture. There are huge differences in the
design, performance, serviceability, and reliability. The bottom line is,
"You will get what you pay for".

--

JANA
_____

"Stewie" wrote in message

Anyone ever hear of "Truetech" ?

Seems that Target is selling a lot of
inexpensive (relatively speaking compared
to more well known manufacturers) LCD
TV's made by companies I've never even
heard of.

Conventional wisdom is don't buy one
unless I'm willing to throw away the unit
when it fails (lack of tech manuals, lack
of parts, made in China, etc).

Just wondering if anyone has experience
servicing those cheap no name brand LCD TV's ?
(we're talking like 32" sets for say $499,
while comparable Sony's are almost double
that).

My inclination is to purchase one made by
Magnavox - any thoughts regarding them ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JANA wrote:
There is no way you can compare a no-name brand type of TV set to another
one that comes from a quality manufacture. There are huge differences in the
design, performance, serviceability, and reliability. The bottom line is,
"You will get what you pay for".

--

JANA
_____

**** You. I just bought a Protron from ShopNBC and the picture quality
beats the hell out of any Sony LCD TV any day of the week. Mine isn't
as dark as a lot of the Sonys and it cost about half as much.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Stewie wrote:
Anyone ever hear of "Truetech" ?

Seems that Target is selling a lot of
inexpensive (relatively speaking compared
to more well known manufacturers) LCD
TV's made by companies I've never even
heard of.

Conventional wisdom is don't buy one
unless I'm willing to throw away the unit
when it fails (lack of tech manuals, lack
of parts, made in China, etc).

Just wondering if anyone has experience
servicing those cheap no name brand LCD TV's ?
(we're talking like 32" sets for say $499,
while comparable Sony's are almost double
that).

My inclination is to purchase one made by
Magnavox - any thoughts regarding them ?

I got a better idea, shopnbc has a great deal on Protron, and they even
give you a DVD player that takes regular dvds and converts them to real
high definition and they even give you the html cable which is worth a
hundred dollars. You don't even need to buy the extended warranty, just
use the money and buy a surge protector instead.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"JANA" wrote in message
There is no way you can compare a no-name brand type of TV set to another
one that comes from a quality manufacture. There are huge differences in
the
design, performance, serviceability, and reliability. The bottom line is,
"You will get what you pay for".

Of course you can compare them. Sometimes you even get a good performer in
the off brands. There may not be service support, but if the price is low
enough it might be a good trade-off. Generally, are correct, but you don't
always get what you pay for. I always say, "you get what you pay for if
you are lucky and you do your homework." A smart consumer compares
everything, including serviceability. You would be shocked at the limits of
major brands in this regard sometimes, too. You have to look at specific
models and specific information even within brands.

Leonard

It has removed 18240 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sisterman" wrote in message
ups.com...

JANA wrote:
There is no way you can compare a no-name brand type of TV set to
another
one that comes from a quality manufacture. There are huge differences in
the
design, performance, serviceability, and reliability. The bottom line is,
"You will get what you pay for".

--

JANA
_____

**** You. I just bought a Protron from ShopNBC and the picture quality
beats the hell out of any Sony LCD TV any day of the week. Mine isn't
as dark as a lot of the Sonys and it cost about half as much.

Your attitude is as bad as your ability to evaluate picture quality and your
ability to do research on the products that you are buying. The Protron is
not the equal to the wony in any regard that I can think of. The reason
that the Sony looks dark is because it can produce blacks better, while the
Protron cannot. A properly calibrated Sony LCD is, in todays, market, one
of the finest pictures around and a pretty good value relative to its
competitors. You acn also get it fixed locally by someone who has access to
real tech support, where with the Protron you cannot.

You may be happy with your purchase, with the price you paid, and that is
fine. Don't be an ass and pretend to know that it is a better set, as it is
clearly not.

Leonard

It has removed 18240 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
"JANA" wrote in message
[...]

You said it asshole, I know that Protron makes a T.V. with a better
picture than Sony. With Sony,you're paying extra for useless features,
the build quality and picture quality is the same with some of these
'cheap' brands. Most of the problem with T.v.s in this newsgroup is
with the jap-**** brands, not the more affordable brands.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sisterman" wrote in message
oups.com...

I got a better idea, shopnbc has a great deal on Protron, and they even
give you a DVD player that takes regular dvds and converts them to real
high definition and they even give you the html cable which is worth a
hundred dollars. You don't even need to buy the extended warranty, just
use the money and buy a surge protector instead.

Again, you show your ignorance as well as your attitude. No upconverting
DVD player makes "regular DVDs" into "real high definition." This is
impossible. They take a 480i encoded signal, resample it to a higher scan
rate, and perhaps de-interlace it. They do not create resolution, just
eliminate visible scan lines. At best you get a low resolution image
displayed at HD rates, with little additional artifacts. Sometimes, perhaps
often, the upconverted image has artifacts that make it wose than allowing
the display to do the upconversion. Since you are using such an inferior
display, the conversion in the player may, indeed, be better than that of
your set, but you are NOT seeing HD from DVDs unless you have a BD or HD DVD
machine with the appropriate disc.

You might wish you had the extended warranty when you can't find service for
your set and no one wants to replace it for you. Hope you get lucky. I got
a call from a customer a few months ago with a broken Protron and could not
get any parts nor service literature for it at all. On the other hand, at
about the same time I had a client that got a replacement 42" set from Sony
at no charge, not even shipping to get it back to them, on a set that had a
1 year warranty. The set was 4 years old. Sony extended the warranty to
cover a problem that they discovered well into the life of the product.
Don't expect that from Protron or Spectron or whoever puts their name on
your set, even if you can find them four years from now.

Leonard

It has removed 18240 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Sisterman ha escrito:
SNIP
that).

My inclination is to purchase one made by
Magnavox - any thoughts regarding them ?

I got a better idea, shopnbc has a great deal on Protron, and they even
give you a DVD player that takes regular dvds and converts them to real
high definition

ROFL

and they even give you the html cable which is worth a
hundred dollars. You don't even need to buy the extended warranty, just
use the money and buy a surge protector instead.

ROFL. X2
any particular surge protector?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Malissa Baldwin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
"JANA" wrote in message
[...]

Most of the problem with this newsgroup is people with an attitude that
don't know what they are talking about. You will be corrected when you are
wrong or offensive, then you will be ignored.

A closed mind who proposes that any generalization about brands leads to the
best buying decision is simply wrong. You can get a good value on either
end of the spectrum of available products if you shop, educate yourself, and
understand the relationship between your priorities and the products. The
answer is not the same for everyone, nor is it the same for the products
within the same brand. You have to shop rather than ASSume.

There are lots of people here that work with these products every day who
can give good advice and reasonable opinions. There is no need for off
brand bigots any more than there is need for Sony bigots here.

Leonard

It has removed 18240 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sisterman wrote:
snip.. even
give you a DVD player that takes regular dvds and converts them to real
high definition and they even give you the html cable which is worth a
hundred dollars. snip

Need Sista-Man say anything else to prove that he be right????????????

Convert a regular DVD to real high definition? I would like to know
the technology they use to do this because I was not aware of any
manufacture being able to convert a regular dvd or other non-hdtv
signal and making it REAL high definition. What exactly is a html
cable? Is this a cable to connect the internet web sites to the tv set?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 01:35:23 -0500, JANA wrote:

There is no way you can compare a no-name brand type of TV set to another
one that comes from a quality manufacture. There are huge differences in the
design, performance, serviceability, and reliability. The bottom line is,
"You will get what you pay for".

Unfortunately, there often is little difference between a well respected
company like Sony or HP bidding out the manufactur of a product and buying
that product from a fly by night company. Any body who has had an HP
printer not last six months can attest to this.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 01:35:23 -0500, JANA wrote:

There is no way you can compare a no-name brand type of TV set to another
one that comes from a quality manufacture. There are huge differences in the
design, performance, serviceability, and reliability. The bottom line is,
"You will get what you pay for".

Unfortunately, there often is little difference between a well respected
company like Sony or HP bidding out the manufactur of a product and buying
that product from a fly by night company. Any body who has had an HP
printer not last six months can attest to this.

Think about brands like Admiral(Monkey Wards), Insignia (Best buy),
Egear and Memorex(was at target) and Durabrand (Anal-Mart) and who
makes these televisions? Orion does.

Want to know who else also slaps their name on Orion ****? Sansui,
Emerson, JVC and Toshiba!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Malissa Baldwin" wrote in message
ups.com...
It does. A lot of DVD's especially the latest releases, say "filmed in
high definition" so this DVD player is capable of reproducing the movie
as the studio intended, ****face.

You know, most pure trolls don't really believe the BS that they post.
Apparently, you actually do. What happens to make a person behave in such a
manner that makes him/her appear to be such an idiot and a loser? If you
are going to troll and use multiple aliases, at least do a respectable job
of it.

Just so no readers who are not familiar with the technology get misled,
standard DVDs do not have the capability to produce HD images. Many players
can upconvert to higher scan rates, but this does not mean that they are
providing the detail of HD.

Leonard

It has removed 18248 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just so no readers who are not familiar with the technology get misled,
standard DVDs do not have the capability to produce HD images. Many players
can upconvert to higher scan rates, but this does not mean that they are
providing the detail of HD.

Yes it does jockstrap, otherwise, why would they include the fancy
digital cable that hooks up the dvd player to the tv and shopnbc says
that the cable alone is worth a hundred dollars.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

b wrote:
Sisterman ha escrito:
SNIP
that).

My inclination is to purchase one made by
Magnavox - any thoughts regarding them ?

I got a better idea, shopnbc has a great deal on Protron, and they even
give you a DVD player that takes regular dvds and converts them to real
high definition

ROFL

and they even give you the html cable which is worth a
hundred dollars. You don't even need to buy the extended warranty, just
use the money and buy a surge protector instead.

ROFL. X2
any particular surge protector?

no, shopnbc just said instead of getting the extended warrenty just get
the surge portector instead.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Think about brands like Admiral(Monkey Wards),

Wards has been out of business well over five years, so where are you
buying a new Admiral TV?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Think about brands like Admiral(Monkey Wards),

Wards has been out of business well over five years, so where are you
buying a new Admiral TV?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I said I bought a new Protron tv, not Admiral, **** for brains. I was
just saying that all of those brands, including JVC and Toshiba, were
made for them by Orion, a brand that a reputation for making ****.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Think about brands like Admiral(Monkey Wards),

Wards has been out of business well over five years, so where are you
buying a new Admiral TV?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I said I bought a new Protron tv, not Admiral, **** for brains. I was
just saying that all of those brands, including JVC and Toshiba, were
made for them by Orion, a brand that a reputation for making ****.

Sigh, why do all the biggest loons hit USENET during the Holidays?
YOU compared it to a brand that is no longer made, not me. Who is to
say would be the company making the Admitral brand if it was still
around?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Think about brands like Admiral(Monkey Wards),

Wards has been out of business well over five years, so where are you
buying a new Admiral TV?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I said I bought a new Protron tv, not Admiral, **** for brains. I was
just saying that all of those brands, including JVC and Toshiba, were
made for them by Orion, a brand that a reputation for making ****.

Hey, like we say at work.
Quick and Dirty
Home by five thirty!

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Just so no readers who are not familiar with the technology get misled,
standard DVDs do not have the capability to produce HD images. Many players
can upconvert to higher scan rates, but this does not mean that they are
providing the detail of HD.

Yes it does jockstrap, otherwise, why would they include the fancy
digital cable that hooks up the dvd player to the tv and shopnbc says
that the cable alone is worth a hundred dollars.

Did you order your lobotomy from "slopnbc" as well? places like that
will tell you anything you want to hear, to get the crap out of their
expensive warehouse.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Harry Hamilton" wrote in message
What??? I bought a five year extended warranty when I bought my new Sony
LCD TV last year from Circuit City. Perhaps I got conned?

If you paid a price you were comfortable with to insure yourself against the
risk of a catastrophic failure in the 3 years that you got past what you
would have witht he factory warranty and whay you could get for free with
the right credit card, you did not get conned. If, on the other hand, you
were sod something different than you thought you were buying, were told
that the probablility was that you would need the warranty, or paid more
than you wanted to spend, they you may have been conned. The fact is that
it is only in rare circumstances that extended warranties are a smart
purchase. They are insurance against risk, and if you feel better about
having that then you should buy it. However, it should be understood that
the vast majority of extended warranties are never used for a number of
reasons, that many do not cover what the customer expects they comver, and
they are typically far more profitable for the dealer than the set that they
go with. There is a reason that they are profitable. The economics are
easy to figure out and are not much different than casinos and lotteries,
only more profitable than the former.

Smart consumers can make use of EWs sometimes and come out OK, but you have
to understand the product, the warranty, the market, and the risk very
clearly. For the vast majority, it is, indeed, largely a con.

Leonard

It has removed 18261 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25 Dec 2006 10:27:40 -0800, Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Yes it does jockstrap, otherwise, why would they include the fancy
digital cable that hooks up the dvd player to the tv and shopnbc says
that the cable alone is worth a hundred dollars.

This is probably one of the same idiots that buys "low oxygen" speaker
wire.

*plonk*

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

drw--w--w- wrote:
On 25 Dec 2006 10:27:40 -0800, Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Yes it does jockstrap, otherwise, why would they include the fancy
digital cable that hooks up the dvd player to the tv and shopnbc says
that the cable alone is worth a hundred dollars.

This is probably one of the same idiots that buys "low oxygen" speaker
wire.

*plonk*

why don't you go have sex with little boys.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

[...]

If you can read, then you would have read that some moron said that HP
and Sony T.V. are really made by some crappy manufacturer and I said
that some Toshiba and JVC tvs are made by Orion, a manufacturer that
makes cheap **** for Wal-mart like Durabrand, and Admiral for Wards
when WARDS WAS IN ****ING BUSINESS.

Drop dead you piece of ****.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

[...]

You first.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Malissa Baldwin wrote:

drw--w--w- wrote:
On 25 Dec 2006 10:27:40 -0800, Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Yes it does jockstrap, otherwise, why would they include the fancy
digital cable that hooks up the dvd player to the tv and shopnbc says
that the cable alone is worth a hundred dollars.

This is probably one of the same idiots that buys "low oxygen" speaker
wire.

*plonk*

why don't you go have sex with little boys.

Technische Universitaet Dresden

Report abuse to

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

drw--w--w- wrote:

On 25 Dec 2006 10:27:40 -0800, Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Yes it does jockstrap, otherwise, why would they include the fancy
digital cable that hooks up the dvd player to the tv and shopnbc says
that the cable alone is worth a hundred dollars.

This is probably one of the same idiots that buys "low oxygen" speaker
wire.

*plonk*

ah yes! monster wire!

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

drw--w--w- wrote:
On 25 Dec 2006 10:27:40 -0800, Malissa Baldwin wrote:

Yes it does jockstrap, otherwise, why would they include the fancy
digital cable that hooks up the dvd player to the tv and shopnbc says
that the cable alone is worth a hundred dollars.

This is probably one of the same idiots that buys "low oxygen" speaker
wire.

*plonk*

why don't you go have sex with little boys.

Technische Universitaet Dresden

Report abuse to

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

**** you and **** Sony.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

All of you need to realize that the name glued on the product does not
always mean its made by that maker .

I have worked on hundreds of new store returned electronics over the
last 7 years including the LCD sets that started showing up in the last
3? years . After the back comes off the truth is revealed when you start
seeing samsung displays and IC chips , etc. etc. .. spread all over
inside Somy and Pamasonic products .
Many of your small lower priced tv sets are made by many of those cheap
makers only to have a well known familiar name brand tag on the front of
it .
On the other hand i have seen high quality Sharp LCD display screens
inside some cheap video products .

All your screaming , swearing and other high pitched noises are all
because you are generally unhappy and has nothing to do with electronic
products brand names .

On an interesting note ( to me anyway ) as call on other repair
businesses around here sometimes looking for possible warranty for somy
on products under 1 year old they all turn it down because somy wont pay
out enough to interest any of them . I have no trouble with other brands
..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Malissa Baldwin" wrote in
oups.com:

Yes it does jockstrap, otherwise, why would they include the fancy
digital cable that hooks up the dvd player to the tv and shopnbc says
that the cable alone is worth a hundred dollars.

HDMI cable and DVD player brand "Fuk yu", designed in Malaysia and
assembled in China, are available for just 99.99 he

http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?fami...7793&storeid=1
&page=LIST&free_text=protron&track=-20101&cm_re=SearchList-_-N-_-N

Philips HDMI cable alone, available at Amazon for 32.82 US$ he

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-M62809.../dp/B000DZGA9W

I think you should stop watching "infomercials", frankly...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:34:02 -0500 "Stewie" wrote
in Message id: :

Anyone ever hear of "Truetech" ?

Seems that Target is selling a lot of
inexpensive (relatively speaking compared
to more well known manufacturers) LCD
TV's made by companies I've never even
heard of.

Conventional wisdom is don't buy one
unless I'm willing to throw away the unit
when it fails (lack of tech manuals, lack
of parts, made in China, etc).

Just wondering if anyone has experience
servicing those cheap no name brand LCD TV's ?
(we're talking like 32" sets for say $499,
while comparable Sony's are almost double
that).

My inclination is to purchase one made by
Magnavox - any thoughts regarding them ?

Curious about the pricing you mentioned, I took a look at their website
and found this:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000FGDAAQ

$1050 for a 42" LCD! I wonder what the picture quality is like...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25 Dec 2006 12:49:55 -0800 "Malissa Baldwin"
wrote in Message id:
m:

If you can read, then you would have read that some moron said that HP
and Sony T.V. are really made by some crappy manufacturer and I said
that some Toshiba and JVC tvs are made by Orion, a manufacturer that
makes cheap **** for Wal-mart like Durabrand, and Admiral for Wards
when WARDS WAS IN ****ING BUSINESS.

Drop dead you piece of ****.

This brings to light a (somewhat) interesting question: How is it you can
type a full sentence with that boner tipping up Mom's keyboard?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No **** imbecile

I have worked on hundreds of new store returned electronics over the
last 7 years including the LCD sets that started showing up in the last
3? years . After the back comes off the truth is revealed when you start
seeing samsung displays and IC chips , etc. etc. .. spread all over
inside Somy and Pamasonic products .
Many of your small lower priced tv sets are made by many of those cheap
makers only to have a well known familiar name brand tag on the front of
it .

That's what the **** I was trying to say when I said that Orion makes
tvs for JVC and Toshiba. Orion, as you know, also makes tvs for a lot
of the **** brands as well. But since I was right, the replies I got
was like "where do you get an admiral tv when wards is out of business"
all I was ****ing saying is that ****ing Orion made ****ing Admirals
for ****ing montgomery ****ing ward.