Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet Leonard Caillouet is offline

Default LCD TV's at Target

"Sisterman" wrote in message
oups.com...

I got a better idea, shopnbc has a great deal on Protron, and they even
give you a DVD player that takes regular dvds and converts them to real
high definition and they even give you the html cable which is worth a
hundred dollars. You don't even need to buy the extended warranty, just
use the money and buy a surge protector instead.

Again, you show your ignorance as well as your attitude. No upconverting
DVD player makes "regular DVDs" into "real high definition." This is
impossible. They take a 480i encoded signal, resample it to a higher scan
rate, and perhaps de-interlace it. They do not create resolution, just
eliminate visible scan lines. At best you get a low resolution image
displayed at HD rates, with little additional artifacts. Sometimes, perhaps
often, the upconverted image has artifacts that make it wose than allowing
the display to do the upconversion. Since you are using such an inferior
display, the conversion in the player may, indeed, be better than that of
your set, but you are NOT seeing HD from DVDs unless you have a BD or HD DVD
machine with the appropriate disc.

You might wish you had the extended warranty when you can't find service for
your set and no one wants to replace it for you. Hope you get lucky. I got
a call from a customer a few months ago with a broken Protron and could not
get any parts nor service literature for it at all. On the other hand, at
about the same time I had a client that got a replacement 42" set from Sony
at no charge, not even shipping to get it back to them, on a set that had a
1 year warranty. The set was 4 years old. Sony extended the warranty to
cover a problem that they discovered well into the life of the product.
Don't expect that from Protron or Spectron or whoever puts their name on
your set, even if you can find them four years from now.

Leonard

It has removed 18240 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!