Tom Gardner

Default Target attack on this NG

I started receiving e-mail with malicious virus attachments from forged
addresses pretending to be from people on the NG that I would normally read
their mail. I think it's a little too coincidental for a harvester to match
up the people that I correspond with. If this virus gets past my
protection, DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS FROM ME. -and let me know so I can
clean it out. If I get them from this NG, as it is the only one I use this
address, you too might be under attack. So far, I see a common thread
between the faked addresses that I am getting this booger from and
sophomoric personal attacks that have taken place on this NG. I've never
been called a female anatomy component until recently. Gee, who do you
think I suspect?

--
Machine tool feed rate / smoke color chart available---$9.95 Visa and MC
accepted

Jon Elson

Tom Gardner wrote:
I started receiving e-mail with malicious virus attachments from forged
addresses pretending to be from people on the NG that I would normally read
their mail. I think it's a little too coincidental for a harvester to match
up the people that I correspond with. If this virus gets past my
protection, DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS FROM ME. -and let me know so I can
clean it out. If I get them from this NG, as it is the only one I use this
address, you too might be under attack. So far, I see a common thread
between the faked addresses that I am getting this booger from and
sophomoric personal attacks that have taken place on this NG. I've never
been called a female anatomy component until recently. Gee, who do you
think I suspect?

That is the result of many of the standard computer virus that have
been going around for some time. This time it hit somebody you
had corresponded with a lot, and harvested the contents of that
person's address book.

I get 25+ messages a day saying that the mail **I** sent to xxyyzz
had a virus and could not be delivered. But, it is clear that that mail
was sent **in my name** by someone on the opposite side of the planet,
and always by outlook express or some other MS security hazard software.
(I use Linux and Netscape, and don't have any viruses in my computer.)

Jon

Abrasha

Tom Gardner wrote:

I started receiving e-mail with malicious virus attachments from forged
addresses pretending to be from people on the NG that I would normally read
their mail. I think it's a little too coincidental for a harvester to match
up the people that I correspond with. If this virus gets past my
protection, DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS FROM ME. -and let me know so I can
clean it out. If I get them from this NG, as it is the only one I use this
address, you too might be under attack. So far, I see a common thread
between the faked addresses that I am getting this booger from and
sophomoric personal attacks that have taken place on this NG. I've never
been called a female anatomy component until recently. Gee, who do you
think I suspect?

Very unlikely it came from the person you suspect, but of course it is very
convenient for you to blame someone, since that is so much easier than educating
yourself about how viruses are propagated over the Net.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
mike@crowe

sadly after i mistakenly sent personal mail to "gunner" rather than posting
to the group, i too started to get email with virus attachments............i
guess i was right in calling you a **** if you jump to conclusions without a
shred of evidence!

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
y.com...
[...]

Offbreed

Tom Gardner wrote:

That was kind of rude, I think it was too much of a coincidence. to get the

All that, and you never mentioned tracking the headers.

Tom Gardner

That was kind of rude, I think it was too much of a coincidence. to get the
same thing from 3 sources that seem to have a commonality of similar
philosophy. As far as my lack of will to educate myself, I should just burn
my MSCE! I had better inform the four companies that I consult for on their
computer and network security for the past 20 years, since they were running
CP/M, and authored most of their dedicated software, that I don't know what
the hell I'm doing and they are paying me for nothing even though they seem
perfectly happy and running perfectly. (Need work done? Want references? I
could have one of my underlings handle any of your needs!)

It seems to me that everything wrong with this world is because some actions
were based on false assumptions. Therefore I try not to be a member of the
lemming brigade that believes that because they once saw a green Ford pickup
that all green pickups are Fords. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
and leads to false assumptions...be careful, you're in danger!

Very unlikely it came from the person you suspect, but of course it is

very
convenient for you to blame someone, since that is so much easier than

educating
yourself about how viruses are propagated over the Net.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Tom Gardner

plonk Please post all your little names as a courtesy so I can killfile
you completely or better yet, post your real name and address. Just why are
you here? You bring nothing of value! Ok, tell the truth...you're really
Gunner, and you're really bored aren't you?

"mike@crowe" wrote in message
[...]

Abrasha

Tom Gardner wrote:

That was kind of rude, I think it was too much of a coincidence.

And what do you call this?

" ... So far, I see a common thread
between the faked addresses that I am getting this booger from and
sophomoric personal attacks that have taken place on this NG. I've never
been called a female anatomy component until recently. Gee, who do you
think I suspect?"

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Ted Edwards

Tom Gardner wrote:

I started receiving e-mail with malicious virus attachments from forged
addresses pretending to be from people on the NG that I would normally read
their mail.

I see you are using Outlaw Express. A friend sent this to me very
recently so I could pass a warning to Windoze using friends:
"
Headline article in Friday's Sun. No longer is it necessary to open an
attachment to get the virus. "Looking at a message in a preview window
is enough . . " This is a yet another virus that propagates from the
host computer and allows hackers access to your info. It "exploits known
flaws in Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and Media Player to run a
small hypertext language message that downloads the virus". M$'s latest
patch does not fix the problem.
"

You might wish to consider switching e-mail programs. Personally, I use
Polarbar
http://www.polarbar.org
which is a Java application and runs under Windoes, Linux and OS/2.

I switched to it because of its mail preview feature. I am on a dial-up
and when the Swen virus hit I was getting ~150 copies a day of these
~150KB pieces of garbage. The download time was simply prohibitive even
if they were deleted without harm. Using the preview, I see the
subject, to and from and the first part of any text - no HTML, no
attachments. I can the choose to download the whole e-mail or delete it
in the server without downloading it at all. Even if I download it,
only the text is displayed with flags to show and catalog any
attachments and their type.

I said I switched for the preview but since I've had it I've found more
and more features I really like and practically nothing that I don't
like. There is also a very responsive listserv if you do have a
problem.

I was using Netscape for e-mail with Java and JavaScript (not at all the
same) turned off but there was still HTML doing things I disapproved
of. Hasn't happened even once since the switch.

Usual disclaimer. And BBTW, it's free. :-)

Ted

Tom Gardner

Sound advise, thanks! I have a plethora of boxes that I use here and some
have been running Linux without the typical MS problems, some have Mozilla
under windows and some are OE. It seems that the shoemaker's kids are
barefoot and I need to spend the time to standardize and secure THIS
network.
--

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Wild Bill

CP/M.. did you ever work with a Vector Graphics machine?

I was aong many of the RCM group that started getting huge amounts of bogus
emails a number of months ago (Oct last year, maybe), and immediately went
to MailWasher for my Win/OE application. It's fee, easy to use, and has
additional features available when registered. Numerous other participants
are also using it.
Many of the emails I still get are subjects Returned (which are from all
sorts of fake sources), and bogus MS updates.
I searched email bombs, and found a department at CMU Carnegie Mellon that
investigates this sort of thing. At the time, I thought that this mess
would've been detected by upper level network server software and eliminated
(since it seems that it would present a significant bandwidth load to large
servers), but it's still thriving.

Before that, there was an incident with SWEN, and it happened at a time when
I was corresponding with one of this group's participants, but I don't know
(or care) if it was an intentional attack.

WB

[...]

Anthony

Ted Edwards wrote in
:

Tom Gardner wrote:

I started receiving e-mail with malicious virus attachments from
forged addresses pretending to be from people on the NG that I would
normally read their mail.

I see you are using Outlaw Express. A friend sent this to me very
recently so I could pass a warning to Windoze using friends:
"
Headline article in Friday's Sun. No longer is it necessary to open
an attachment to get the virus. "Looking at a message in a preview
window is enough . . " This is a yet another virus that propagates
from the host computer and allows hackers access to your info. It
"exploits known flaws in Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and Media
Player to run a small hypertext language message that downloads the
virus". M$'s latest patch does not fix the problem.
"

M$ has actually made a patch to fix something?....I wasn't aware..I
thought they only made patches to patches of patches...
Btw..I run both *nix and M$. There are merits to both, and disadvantages
to both, security being M$'s biggest downfall...other than someone's
super intelligent decision to actually release Windows ME for public
use.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Gunner

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:37:19 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

plonk Please post all your little names as a courtesy so I can killfile
you completely or better yet, post your real name and address. Just why are
you here? You bring nothing of value! Ok, tell the truth...you're really
Gunner, and you're really bored aren't you?

LOL! check my headers G

Gunner

"mike@crowe" wrote in message
[...]

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
--James D. Nicoll
Ted Edwards

Anthony wrote:

M$ has actually made a patch to fix something?

Ummmm. Re-read the post - they made a post but it didn't fix anything.
Why am I not surprised?

Ted

Anthony

Ted Edwards wrote in
:

Anthony wrote:

M$ has actually made a patch to fix something?

Ummmm. Re-read the post - they made a post but it didn't fix anything.
Why am I not surprised?

Ted

Ted, I read the post, I was referring that i'm not sure they have made
ANY patch that actually *fixed* anything. Many time's i've updated, only
to find the following day or two later, a patch to fix the patch.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Ted Edwards

Anthony wrote:

Ted, I read the post, I was referring that i'm not sure they have made
ANY patch that actually *fixed* anything. Many time's i've updated, only
to find the following day or two later, a patch to fix the patch.

And, unfortunately, it would appear that the patch to the patch doesn't
quite do it either. :-( Windoze users have my sympathy. I just wish
more people would abandon M$.

Ted

OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
He will mould the easy carrot and help it without its hair. It can attack cosmetic stickers outside the long solid shore, whilst Julieta nearly teases them too. [email protected] UK diy 0 January 1st 04 12:08 AM
Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM