Tom Gardner

Default Target attack on this NG

Sound advise, thanks! I have a plethora of boxes that I use here and some
have been running Linux without the typical MS problems, some have Mozilla
under windows and some are OE. It seems that the shoemaker's kids are
barefoot and I need to spend the time to standardize and secure THIS
network.
--

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:

I started receiving e-mail with malicious virus attachments from forged
addresses pretending to be from people on the NG that I would normally

read
their mail.

I see you are using Outlaw Express. A friend sent this to me very
recently so I could pass a warning to Windoze using friends:
"
Headline article in Friday's Sun. No longer is it necessary to open an
attachment to get the virus. "Looking at a message in a preview window
is enough . . " This is a yet another virus that propagates from the
host computer and allows hackers access to your info. It "exploits known
flaws in Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and Media Player to run a
small hypertext language message that downloads the virus". M$'s latest
patch does not fix the problem.
"

You might wish to consider switching e-mail programs. Personally, I use
Polarbar
http://www.polarbar.org
which is a Java application and runs under Windoes, Linux and OS/2.

I switched to it because of its mail preview feature. I am on a dial-up
and when the Swen virus hit I was getting ~150 copies a day of these
~150KB pieces of garbage. The download time was simply prohibitive even
if they were deleted without harm. Using the preview, I see the
subject, to and from and the first part of any text - no HTML, no
attachments. I can the choose to download the whole e-mail or delete it
in the server without downloading it at all. Even if I download it,
only the text is displayed with flags to show and catalog any
attachments and their type.

I said I switched for the preview but since I've had it I've found more
and more features I really like and practically nothing that I don't
like. There is also a very responsive listserv if you do have a
problem.

I was using Netscape for e-mail with Java and JavaScript (not at all the
same) turned off but there was still HTML doing things I disapproved
of. Hasn't happened even once since the switch.

Usual disclaimer. And BBTW, it's free. :-)

Ted