Jon Elson

Default Target attack on this NG

Tom Gardner wrote:
I started receiving e-mail with malicious virus attachments from forged
addresses pretending to be from people on the NG that I would normally read
their mail. I think it's a little too coincidental for a harvester to match
up the people that I correspond with. If this virus gets past my
protection, DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS FROM ME. -and let me know so I can
clean it out. If I get them from this NG, as it is the only one I use this
address, you too might be under attack. So far, I see a common thread
between the faked addresses that I am getting this booger from and
sophomoric personal attacks that have taken place on this NG. I've never
been called a female anatomy component until recently. Gee, who do you
think I suspect?

That is the result of many of the standard computer virus that have
been going around for some time. This time it hit somebody you
had corresponded with a lot, and harvested the contents of that
person's address book.

I get 25+ messages a day saying that the mail **I** sent to xxyyzz
had a virus and could not be delivered. But, it is clear that that mail
was sent **in my name** by someone on the opposite side of the planet,
and always by outlook express or some other MS security hazard software.
(I use Linux and Netscape, and don't have any viruses in my computer.)

Jon