Andrew Howard

Default Troubleshooting computer monitors without power

I have two computer monitors that I want to fix, but unfortunately I am not
allowed to work on them or test them at all while there is power in it. I am
allowed to observe, and that's it. I was wondering if anyone could give me
any ideas on how to fix them without power?

The first one is a Samsung Syncmaster 750s that is warped. Each colour is
warped a different amount, in an effect that looks like the opposite of
pin-cushioning. I can't see any obvious fried things.

The second is a Hyundai 1772E that doesn't appear to be getting power to the
picture tube. (I can't make sure, because I'm not allowed to test it.) I
don't know if the tube is supposed to warm up visibly or anything, but I see
no change in it. The standby light turns on, so it is not a completely blown
power supply.

So if anyone can suggest anything for these, which doesn't involve touching
it with the power on, that would be great. Also, if anyone has any service
manuals or schematics for either of these, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Andrew Howard

Jules

Also, if anyone has any service
manuals or schematics for either of these, I would be very grateful.

Try http://www.geocities.com/monitorss/schematics.html
there's Samsung 700-series on there

JANA

First of all, to service these, you will need the proper service manuals, at
least a discent DVM, and you WILL have to apply power to verify the voltage
readings in order to determine the fault areas. As for tracing out signal
paths, and etc, an oscilloscope will be necessary.

--

JANA
_____

"Jules" wrote in message
Also, if anyone has any service
manuals or schematics for either of these, I would be very grateful.

Try http://www.geocities.com/monitorss/schematics.html
there's Samsung 700-series on there

James Sweet

"JANA" wrote in message
First of all, to service these, you will need the proper service manuals,

at
least a discent DVM, and you WILL have to apply power to verify the

voltage
readings in order to determine the fault areas. As for tracing out signal
paths, and etc, an oscilloscope will be necessary.

Why would they need service manuals? I've been fixing computer monitors for
years, never had a service manual for one.

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:44:13 -0400, "JANA" wrote:

First of all, to service these, you will need the proper service manuals, at
least a discent DVM, and you WILL have to apply power to verify the voltage
readings in order to determine the fault areas. As for tracing out signal
paths, and etc, an oscilloscope will be necessary.

Correct, except that in many cases an experienced technician won't
require a manual, especially for a generic fault. In my opinion,
having to troubleshoot these problems with no power applied is
ridiculous. The IT approach to electronics troubleshooting?

Tom

chibitul

what do you mean "I am not allowed to work on them or test them at all
while there is power in it"? if these are YOUR monitors, than you can
do whatever you want. If these are NOT your monitors, then let the
moron who made this ridiculour rule deal with it. You cannot fix a
monitor with no power applied. can a mechanic fix a car without running
the engine at all? maybe in some case, but most of the time then need
to run the engine. What about a doctor analogy, how can you diagnose
and cure a patient if you are not allowed to take blood pressure, heart
rate, etc. You get the picture. You are nnot stupid. Whoever said that
you can fix the monitors but yo cannot apply power is stupid.

BTW: I hope you know what you are doing, yes, it can be dangerous and
maybe that why the "no-power-policy", buut still, if you know what you
are doing, either apply power, or give up.

Sam Goldwasser

"James Sweet" writes:

"JANA" wrote in message
First of all, to service these, you will need the proper service manuals,

at
least a discent DVM, and you WILL have to apply power to verify the

voltage
readings in order to determine the fault areas. As for tracing out signal
paths, and etc, an oscilloscope will be necessary.

Why would they need service manuals? I've been fixing computer monitors for
years, never had a service manual for one.

Some people won't fix a table lamp without the service manual.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Wayne Tiffany

Huh, I've never seen a service manual for a table lamp.... :-)

WT

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"James Sweet" writes:

"JANA" wrote in message
First of all, to service these, you will need the proper service
manuals,

at
least a discent DVM, and you WILL have to apply power to verify the

voltage
readings in order to determine the fault areas. As for tracing out
signal
paths, and etc, an oscilloscope will be necessary.

Why would they need service manuals? I've been fixing computer monitors
for
years, never had a service manual for one.

Some people won't fix a table lamp without the service manual.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the
excessive
traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is

quietguy

Had you thought that this might be a young fellow whose mum or dad is
(quite rightly) worried about safety?

I certainly wouldn't encourage any young beginner to poke around in a
monitor with power on

David

chibitul wrote:

what do you mean "I am not allowed to work on them or test them at all
while there is power in it"? if these are YOUR monitors, than you can
do whatever you want.

James Sweet

"quietguy" wrote in
message
Had you thought that this might be a young fellow whose mum or dad is
(quite rightly) worried about safety?

I certainly wouldn't encourage any young beginner to poke around in a
monitor with power on

I do about half my monitor repairs with the power off, it's pretty easy to
find a shorted semi or bad capacitor that way, some faults there's just no
way around the live testing though.

Tom MacIntyre

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:07:17 GMT, "rb" wrote:

He may be a student and that is the rule he must follow
If you can't be helpful STFU!

He was being helpful.

Tom

"chibitul" wrote in message
roups.com...
what do you mean "I am not allowed to work on them or test them at all
while there is power in it"? if these are YOUR monitors, than you can
do whatever you want. If these are NOT your monitors, then let the
moron who made this ridiculour rule deal with it. You cannot fix a
monitor with no power applied. can a mechanic fix a car without running
the engine at all? maybe in some case, but most of the time then need
to run the engine. What about a doctor analogy, how can you diagnose
and cure a patient if you are not allowed to take blood pressure, heart
rate, etc. You get the picture. You are nnot stupid. Whoever said that
you can fix the monitors but yo cannot apply power is stupid.

BTW: I hope you know what you are doing, yes, it can be dangerous and
maybe that why the "no-power-policy", buut still, if you know what you
are doing, either apply power, or give up.

Nobody has the right to tell anybody STFU on this forum.

That same thought crossed my mind, just who is imposing this
limitation. Realize this may be a child or ,,,,,,,,, who knows. I'm not
saying it is but to be ignorant of the possibility is ,,,,,,,,ignorant.

Imagine being taken to a room with monitors, or anything which your job
is to fix, but you must change the parts without powering them up and
when you put then back together completely they must work.

I would burn the place down and not lose a wink over it, they are
KILLING technical minds. There is way too much of that going on today.
Needless to say, I would turn the job down. Wouldn't be the first time.

JURB

Andrew Howard

It actually is a rule imposed by my parents, as suggested by someone else.
I'm 19 and have been doing electronics for a while and am aware of the
safety issues involved, but while I'm living at home, I respect the rules
imposed on me by my parents. Even if I hate them (especially in this case).
It took me long enough to convince them that I knew how discharge everything
adequately to be able to even touch the thing with the power off. So I don't
think I'll be able to work on the while they are live until I either leave
home, or get a job in the industry for a while.
So if anyone has any ideas about the monitors...

Thanks
Andrew Howard

"rb" wrote in message
He may be a student and that is the rule he must follow
If you can't be helpful STFU!

"chibitul" wrote in message
oups.com...
what do you mean "I am not allowed to work on them or test them at all
while there is power in it"? if these are YOUR monitors, than you can
do whatever you want. If these are NOT your monitors, then let the
moron who made this ridiculour rule deal with it. You cannot fix a
monitor with no power applied. can a mechanic fix a car without running
the engine at all? maybe in some case, but most of the time then need
to run the engine. What about a doctor analogy, how can you diagnose
and cure a patient if you are not allowed to take blood pressure, heart
rate, etc. You get the picture. You are nnot stupid. Whoever said that
you can fix the monitors but yo cannot apply power is stupid.

BTW: I hope you know what you are doing, yes, it can be dangerous and
maybe that why the "no-power-policy", buut still, if you know what you
are doing, either apply power, or give up.

quietguy

Hi Andrew

My (sort of) sympathy - you are in a difficult situation, but you have done
well by seeking advice here, and also by allowing your parents to feel safe.

However, since you are 19, and have had some experience, perhaps you could
handle your parents concerns in a gentle manner that might also allow you to
extend your skills

I do think though that unless you have a fair knowledge about monitors and how
they work etc that the repair task may be difficult - especially so if you do
not have a service manual.

As a suggestion, perhaps you could detail your intended method of testing the
monitor on this group, also noting the safety/danger issues you are aware of
etc. Then let your parents read your post and the feedback that many of the
good guys here usually offer. Assuming your post(s) demonstrate awareness of
the specific dangers involved, and the good guys validate your ideas, this
might reassure your parents and convince them to allow you a little more
freedom to explore the exciting and sometimes vicious world of powered on gear.

However, I would be interested to read what others on this group think of this
idea

Cheers

David - who was lucky enough to have a retired radio tech as a mentor when he
started building and fixing mains (240v) powered gear (at around age 10 or
so). My tech friend was a good guy who never failed to give me dire warnings
if my building and fixing wasn't up to scratch, safety wise.

David

Andrew Howard wrote:

It actually is a rule imposed by my parents, as suggested by someone else.
I'm 19 and have been doing electronics for a while and am aware of the
safety issues involved, but while I'm living at home, I respect the rules
imposed on me by my parents. Even if I hate them (especially in this case).
It took me long enough to convince them that I knew how discharge everything
adequately to be able to even touch the thing with the power off. So I don't
think I'll be able to work on the while they are live until I either leave
home, or get a job in the industry for a while.
So if anyone has any ideas about the monitors...

Thanks
Andrew Howard

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:58:51 +1000, "Andrew Howard"
wrote:

It actually is a rule imposed by my parents, as suggested by someone else.
I'm 19 and have been doing electronics for a while and am aware of the
safety issues involved, but while I'm living at home, I respect the rules
imposed on me by my parents. Even if I hate them (especially in this case).
It took me long enough to convince them that I knew how discharge everything
adequately to be able to even touch the thing with the power off. So I don't
think I'll be able to work on the while they are live until I either leave
home, or get a job in the industry for a while.
So if anyone has any ideas about the monitors...

Thanks
Andrew Howard

I originally thought that it was imposed by an employer or university
department, etc...as the father of two, I believe that you are correct
to heed your parents.

In case it hasn't been suggested, check this out, and let your parents
know that you are educating yourself in the safety issues.

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

Good luck.

Tom
Puckdropper

quietguy wrote in
:

Hi Andrew

*snip*

David - who was lucky enough to have a retired radio tech as a mentor
when he started building and fixing mains (240v) powered gear (at
around age 10 or so). My tech friend was a good guy who never failed
to give me dire warnings if my building and fixing wasn't up to
scratch, safety wise.

David

Speaking of safety, would using a GFCI outlet provide an extended measure
of safety over a normal outlet when working on a TV?

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Asimov

"Andrew Howard" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Sep 05 18:36:38)
--- on the heady topic of "Troubleshooting computer monitors without power"

AH From: "Andrew Howard"
AH Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:341711

AH I have two computer monitors that I want to fix, but unfortunately I
AH am not allowed to work on them or test them at all while there is power
AH in it. I am allowed to observe, and that's it. I was wondering if
AH anyone could give me any ideas on how to fix them without power?

Yes, connect the measurement tools with the power off then you can
observe the measurements when the power is on without touching
anything. (Isn't this how you are supposed to do it in the 1st place?)

AH The first one is a Samsung Syncmaster 750s that is warped. Each colour
AH is warped a different amount, in an effect that looks like the opposite
AH of pin-cushioning. I can't see any obvious fried things.

AH The second is a Hyundai 1772E that doesn't appear to be getting power
AH to the picture tube. (I can't make sure, because I'm not allowed to
AH test it.) I don't know if the tube is supposed to warm up visibly or
AH anything, but I see no change in it. The standby light turns on, so it
AH is not a completely blown power supply.

AH So if anyone can suggest anything for these, which doesn't involve
AH touching it with the power on, that would be great. Also, if anyone has
AH any service manuals or schematics for either of these, I would be very
AH grateful.
AH Thanks
AH Andrew Howard

If you replace every single part in the monitors, they will be fixed,
and you won't have to touch anything with the power on. There are
shortcuts however that come from knowledge, experience, and reading
schematics.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... If there were no electricity, we'd all be ohmless.